main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON Costumes/Props

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Woofer, Oct 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I thought I'd provide a forum for people to discuss their costumes and props. Something with a more local angle than the generic Costuming forum under Fan Activities here at FanForce.

I'll start. :)

My costume is starting to come together. I'm doing a black Jedi costume. Similar to Luke ROTJ. Its a personal design, not a replica. I prefer black, as a) I usually wear black anyways, and b) I look awful in browns!

I just purchased a gi. Its not cheap, but it looks good, and it saves me getting one made. Its heavy cotton, so its extra durable.

I found my belt at Home Depot! Its one of those back support, tool belts. Black padding with a black webbing inner belt. It had silver grommets for belt holes and a silver buckle, but a bit of black magic marker and the whole thing looks very good now.

I'm inquiring into getting a hooded cloak made for me, and I'm starting a search for boots to complete the look.

Most people around here has seen the lightsaber I've done. I'm considering doing a webpage with parts and assembly instructions once I'm satisified the thing is completely done. I still want to add LEDs for control switches.

I'm expecting I'll have it the costume ready for the DVD release.

Anyone else?

2. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Ok I guess everyone by now knows about my costuming, right?

Well for those of you who don't, heres my story.

Version #1
    Way back in '98 I wanted to throw together a Boba Fett costume because I couldn't think of anything else to make. I made it using construction paper and a REALLY crappy old paper mache head. The jetpack was a showbox with some paper cups on top. Fortunately I have no photos of that.

Version #2
    Right after the summer of Episode I, I became a bit of a Fett freak, oddly enough. I wanted to make a halloween costume of Boba Fett, so I went about with paper mache and carboard and stuff lying around to make my costume. I obviously didn't use any reference material or the right paints. Again, fortunately, I don't have any photos of that one either at the moment. I tell ya it is a hoot and a holler!

Version #3
    Oh, here is when things get better (a bit). I redid my mask by adding an extension to the bottom, and totally repainting it with a much lighter, more accurate green. I redid practically everything on it. The visor was was a piece of door screen between 2 clear pieces of plastic. With this version i decided to switch to the ESB colour scheme. I made the gun out of a fireworks box. I made new boots, which i still use today. The jetpack was made of a thicker shoebox, shampoo bottles, styrofoam balls and cones, and other stuff. I think this one looked pretty good. Here is a photo:
    [image=http://fan.starwars.com/YoungJediNiagara/files/Photos/graememall.jpg]

Version #4
    This is obviously my second favourite. I did a major redo of my costume. I traced all of the armour onto sheet metal and bent the edges over cardboard. I glued velcro on the back that attached to a vest. I made new shoulder bells out of sheet metal. I mad enew knee
    Here is a photo of that version:
    [image=http://fan.starwars.com/young_jedi_niagara/files/Photos/SFX2001/graeme.jpg]

Version #5

CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS

This is the best so far, and I wore it in the Grape and Wine Parade. I got a new helmet and jetpack from my friend Jerry of DMZ Paintball these look SO much better. I just made a new codpiece and new armour. These were made exactly perfect using blueprints from Mandelorian Blueprints. These one are made of lighter metal, smaller, with a much better paint job. Here it is before the new armour. I will post a photo of my new one when i finish it.
    [image=http://fan.starwars.com/young_jedi_niagara/files/Photos/GrapeAndWine/graeme.jpg]

3. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    Gee Boba, I didn't know you were so short!!! [face_laugh]
    The pictures make you look like a midget!!! :D
    So what's my name???

4. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Costume Update:

Found some boots at the army surplus store in downtown St. Catharines.

Luke wore full calf, shiny leather boots. I found mid-calf, suede boots. Well nothing else in my costume is an exact replica either! What is important is that it does fit in with the rest of the costume.

The belt is now modified. I replaced the inner belt that had the grommets with a plain webbed belt. My lightsaber clip didn't fit on the older, larger belt, so now I've killed two problems with one belt. The new belt looks nicer too.

Should I try to add some pouches and doodads to my belt? It seems they all have some sort of add-ons. I'm thinking at least one pouch to keep wallet and keys etc in. Thats not entirely necessary though as the pants for the costume is just plain black jeans and the pockets are accessable.

I still have to make a hooded cape. I've found a few patterns, and now I need to find material. I'm considering some sort of heavy cotton or perhaps light corduroy. Any suggestions?

There is one more layer to the costume I need to create, the outer tabard, so I'm thinking to make that from the same material as the cloak. Gives it a matching look.

I'm still hoping to have this done for the DVD release on the 16th. Will give updates as they happen.

5. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
    Are there any more boots like that there? How much were they?

6. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    There were only two pair there, and they are European sized 43, which is size 10 here.

Normally I wear size 10 shoes, but even these are kinda large unless I wear thick socks.

There is a good selection of military boots there however that might work for a costume.

7. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    This is an addition to my post about my costume. I forgot to mention that my fabulous belt, as you can see in the photo, was made by a good friend of mine, Laurie "Dreamweaver", a member of YJN. I feel so guilty for not giving her credit, and I had to correct my error. SORRY LAURIE!

8. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Ok spoiler people! I have some questions. I am looking for a shot of the New Shmi costume. has anyone seen it anywhere yet? Can anyone direct me to a link?

9. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    I haven't seen a picture yet myself.

You might want to try the Fan Activities/Costumes forum. Somebody in there is asking about one of Padme's Ep2 costumes already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.