main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Costumes

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jedi_Wench, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    as far as the patch and stuff. i think there is a thread at the C&P board about where to get them from.

2. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    He he, another wizard!

Those wands are nice, but man! are they expensive. :eek: The Wand Shop is much more in my budget. :)

Patches: Ebay. Just do a search for Harry Potter patches. I ordered mine and Jupitertronic's yesterday. :D (BTW-I got an excellent deal on a full set of House patches. The Gryffindor and Slytherin ones are taken (obviously :p), but if anyone needs a Ravenclaw or a Hufflepuff patch, let me know. And the Ravenclaw one is canon blue and bronze, instead of movie blue and silver. :))

Pants: I haven't looked at the pants as much as the skirts, but I think this will probably be the easiest part for you. I think they're just plain gray dress pants.

Sweater: Harder to find than the pants. (But easier than the skirt.) We both lucked into gray v-neck sweaters at Walmart, but I don't think they have them anymore. :( You can try school uniform suppliers, but I haven't had much luck there. (The only really nice ones I found didn't ship outside the UK. :()If you don't want to knit one yourself (or find someone to do it for you), just look for a gray sweater with the right shape. The House colors at the neck and waistband are pretty easy to add with yarn or embroidery.

You'll also need a white shirt with a collar, black dress shoes, gray knee socks (although I suppose the socks don't matter so much for a boy, since you'll be wearing pants), and a tie in your House colors. The tie is a little tricky, too. Jupitertronic made one that looked pretty good, and we are working on v2.0.

I'm also working on v2.0 of the outer robe. So far, so good. :D

Edit: Grr. Stupid link. Finally works.

3. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    I will take the ravenclaw one of you dont watch it. any help that can be given on robes would be great!

EDIT and as far as wands go, i think i will jsut make my own. my uncle is great with wood, so if i need help i will just talk to him.

btw do you ahve anything on how to do a teacher good?

4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Yea, but I get a über amount of money for my birthday, and I get $20 a week, with my parents paying for my life, so I can afford whirlwood. :p

5. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    hey do you guys know what the name is of the type of shirt that has that overlap-ish closure thing.. kinda like the ROTJ Luke jedi gear has?
    or the esb han shirt?

anyone know what thats called?

HELP!

6. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    No, but you can find them at western wear stores :)

7. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    D'oh!! :_| I want the Ravenclaw patch!! :_| :_|

Actually, Kirana, if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction of those patches (I know, ebay, but who's the seller?), I'll be more than happy to purchase my own. :D :D

8. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    i don't know the actual seller name, but i know i *always* stumble across those patches by just searching for "harry potter patches." they're sold in packs of 5 (all houses and a hogwarts patch) or separately and aren't very much money. :D

btw, these are the same patches worn by those two ravenclaws we saw at comic con last year.

kev, i made my own tie. it was pretty simple: i bought green fabric that matched the yarn i bought for the collar on the sweater and some silver ribbon, about 7/8" thick (i'm a slytherin). i cut up a $2 thrift shop tie, ironed it and used it as a pattern for a new tie. you should get a lot of fabric cause you have to cut it diagonally; i think we got a yard's worth.

after the tie was completely sewn, i wrapped strips of ribbon (on the not-so-shiny side) diagonally to match all the pictures of the ties, pinned them down, and we sewed them all on with the sewing machine, as close to the edge as we could get. it's very convincing, i think.

make sure, whatever you do, you get some kind of fabric that's kind of slippery, like gabardine (spelling?) or polyester or something. cause you sew the tie inside out and then you have to pull it back through itself, and it'll stick if the fabric's rough.

i'm guessing you're a perfectionist or you wouldn't be spending $70 on a wand, so i suggest you keep a picture of the movie tie handy so you can make sure you don't put the stripes the wrong way or something like that. those things can sometimes happen. :)

good luck!

9. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    JKB: btw do you ahve anything on how to do a teacher good?

Umm, do you mean a teacher costume? (I'm not even going to comment on the phrasing here, except to say: Lupin is mine! [face_mischief])

To answer your question, I haven't really looked at the teacher's costumes all that closely, but I think one would be fun to do. They all seem to dress to reflect their personality. A Lockhart costume would be a blast to do, and a Snape would be really easy, I think.

You can have the Ravenclaw patch, since you asked first. (Sorry, Kre! I'll send you the seller's info later. It's at home. I'm "working." :p) Just PM me your address. I'll forward it one once I get it. :)

Any Hufflepuffs in need of House id?

10. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    I need a Ravenclaw too !!!!!!!!!

Please copy me on the info, thanks.

11. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I may be thinkin' about a custom house, with red and black colors. It would be for my custom school, that has 5 houses.

12. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    I need a Ravenclaw too !!!!!!!!!

Please copy me on the info, thanks.

Will do!

Custom embroidered patches can be a pricey, but not impossible. I don't know any sources, though.

13. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    [face_shocked] ok it wasnt supposed to sound like that [face_blush] anyway you can have lupin.

yeah i think i might like to make both a teacher and student set. jsut for fun.

14. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    I need to talk to somebody who's used to woodworking. Just going off the list at the wandshop I want to know which woods are the most durable and could withstand considerable thwacking.

15. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Ash, Birch, Walnut & Oak are what drumsticks are made of, and they take some serious thwacking

16. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Copol. My wand should serve double duty as a light eskrima stick :)

17. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    that would make for and intresting duel.

18. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Jupitertronic and Kirana are about to beat me into a pulp on this subject, but I'd like to see one of them just get in another kids face and solve duels "the old fashion way" Let's see how good they are when they can't get their wands into play.

19. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    Come with us to Borders for the Order of the Phoenix release, and let any little kid (or not so little) try to get in our way!

20. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Sure, that's all I'm good for :p Can't be any worse than fending off pokemunchkins

What day does it come out again ?

21. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    I meant you could observe Jess and I if any kids tried to get in our way. :p

Midnight, June 21. :D Straight from the Cine Capri opening. :D :D :D

22. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I'm not sure who your talking about, but pants are easy. If your going to have a shirt/tunic that hangs past the waistline just make them w/ a elastic waistband. Easy as pie. If you need a waistband buttons, belt loops & zipper, I'll let you know how this pattern is working out for me.
    I have to do this for the Han Solo outfit, just wouldn't look right with the elastic waistband pants.

23. JediHunterAlpha

JediHunterAlpha Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    I am doing Kir Kanos :)

24. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    have you started in on the body armor yet?

25. arizonasithlord

arizonasithlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2002
    *sigh* armor...not time, no money, *sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.