main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costumes

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by BlueSaberBlade, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSaberBlade

BlueSaberBlade Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
    Hey all, I have been thinking for a while now about putting together a jedi costume. I have yet to come up with an idea for good looking relatively inexpensive boots. Just wondering if you all had any ideas. Thanks.

Paul

2. BlueSaberBlade

Apr 2, 2002
    Anyone at all interested in costuming or have costumes. If so, what kind and how did you make it. Or maybe you bought it. Let's discuss!! :)

3. GENERAL_FEL

GENERAL_FEL Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    I have a Baron Fel TIE Pilot suit that I put together a few years ago. It rocks! I bought the Classic Action TIE helmet from DP, and the rest from various armorers across the country.

You REALLY need to go and check out the 501st Legion website. www.501st.com. I'm the Squad leader for the Oklahoma Squad of the Star Garrison. Get an Imp, Bounty Hunter, Dark Sider costume and you're in! Email me at ti622@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Are you up for going to the Star Wars night at Tulsa Drillers Stadium on the 25th? LMK. Are you in the Tulsa area (all the 'burbs like Claremore, Jenks, etc. count)? If so, why not head over to the yahoogroups page ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TulsaFanForce/) and join. We've only had our first meeting, but we are getting together for the midnight madness toy run on the 23rd.
    I look forward to hearing from you!

4. BlueSaberBlade

Apr 2, 2002
    Tie fighter pilot suit eh? Sounds cool. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on getting it all together?

Yes, I have checked out the 501st website. But will definatly have to go back and look you up there.

I'm torn between making a dark jedi or jedi costume. I haven't started getting one together yet, I figure I would start out with the boots first since that seems to be the most difficult part of any costume. My thought is get the shoes right and the rest will fall together.

I doubt that I can have a costume ready by the 25th for the Drillers SW night, but sounds like fun. I live in Coweta. I have been by the Yahoo group page and signed up, but the membership is still pending. Sorry I was unable to make the first meeting, hopefully I'll be able to make it to future meetings.

5. DarthChubs

DarthChubs Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2002
    Back before I got married, I really wanted to get a jedi cloak like Luke wore in ROTJ. I almost convinced my mother to make one, but I never could find a good pattern. I searched web sites for companies selling something close, but didn't have much success.

Now I think a full-fledged Jedi outfit would rock, but it's tough to find the time, not to mention the cost...

6. BlueSaberBlade

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah, I have resorted to "trying" to make one. I have found a decent pattern at Wal-Mart. It's going to need a few alterations, and I am no tailor let me tell ya. But, hopefully I will be able to manage.

7. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    Okay, this site http://www.jedi-academy.com/ep1_kenobi_boots.html has a link to a place to get great boots for only $30 which is as cheep as you can get a pair of boots.

Also it has instructions on how to modify the boots to look more like in EP 1, but honestly all i did was paint them the color i wanted and they look great when wore with a Jedi costume. I have pics if you wanna see what they look like with one.

8. BlueSaberBlade

Apr 2, 2002
    I'd love to see the pics

9. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    http://community.webshots.com/album/36331313fBtscC

The first six are from Midnight madness... would have had more cept the batteries died.

I dont have any knew pics of my costume since i got my camera, but this shows the boots as well as my wife dress in the Padme costume i made for her.

10. BlueSaberBlade

Apr 2, 2002
    They look great. Are they leather?

11. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    They are like a rubber acrilic material. Very flexable... When a friend and i where planning a fan film i wasnt restricted in movement. Not the most comfortable things to stand in unless you buy some extra foot padding like DrSchols or something, but they really look great for so cheap.

12. RogerRoger517

RogerRoger517 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    You might check this link I found on the force.net site.

http://www.hollywood-costumes.com/

13. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    I went out and took updated pics of my costume and also my friends costume that he had made for a Film we planned (but haven't finished... thanks for getting in the way "life") They are at night but they are alot better then any i had since i have a digi camera now.

14. BlueSaberBlade

Apr 2, 2002
    Hey nice pics...I like the blue one the sith. Adds a different touch, I like it. I plan on incorporating gray into my dark lord costume. I noticed the bracers, looks cool. I had also thought about using bracers (being a ren faire geek) for my costume as well.

15. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Yea, he is happy with those armor pieces for now, but wants to get them in leather instead one of these days.

I've also now added my wife in her Princess Leia Costume at that same address if anyone is interested.

16. Angry_Princess

Angry_Princess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    WoW!!! Star Wars fans in NEO!!!! My kinda people!!!

BLUESABERBLADE- I've heard that East German Riding Boots (may fave men?s boot so far) are a great boot for a Jedi costume. If you want to incorporate gray into it, you're probably wanting to stick with black. (Which I'd say is appropriate for a Dark Lord.) :) I've seen these boots on ebay a number of times and I know that there are a couple on there now. I found an awesome site Newport Army Navy that is actually selling some for 29.99 in sizes 91/2 to 11. From what I know that is an unbeatable price. (Since the ebay auctions usually start out at $45 for them.) The downside is the limited sizes. You might also try sportsmansguide.com they have some german goosesteppers for $9.97 and officer?s boots for $24.97. These would work well too.

I helped my sister make a Sith Robe for Ep. II from McCalls pattern #9496. I had to alter the hood to make it fuller and not pointy on the back. If this is the pattern you are using, you might want to check out Obi-Wan?s Jedi Academy robe instructions for altering the pattern. As for the fabric, I?ve been to several Wal-Marts in the area, a couple in Tulsa, Tahlequah, Claremore, and Pryor. They always have some fabric $1 a yard, they just have different stuff everywhere. I found some great heavy black material at the Pryor Wal-Mart that worked well.

I went as Padme in the AOTC battle costume. (At AMC Southroads 20 at 12:01 May 15th YAAY!) I have also made the black corseted costume that she wears. (With help from my mom.) I have recently become obsessed with Star Wars costuming. (I was already obsessed with Ren Faire costumes) I?ve been researching different things people have done with their Jedi costumes and will eventually make my own, but I want to finish my Padme costumes first. (I want a lightsaber so baaadd?) Throughout my costume making venture, Padawans Guide has been one of my main sources of info. Each Jedi is his/her own person so I don?t want to do a cookie cutter type thing with the my Jedi costume. I want it to be uniquely my own.

I hope this helps. I know of some other resources too.

17. Angry_Princess

May 26, 2002
    MysticTrunks01- Nice costumes!!!! Good job on you wife's Padme costume. :) Did you make your lightsaber? Is it really glowing? I'm thinking about getting one of those lightech sabers or a parks saber, the only hinderance is the cost. :p I want on I can duel with that won't break and that will glow.

18. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Thanks! ^_^ But no i didn't make my saber, i bought it from Parks back before they were all over 100+ ($80) and the Effect of the glow is photo shop.

19. Angry_Princess

May 26, 2002
    Oh, I see. :) Looks good.

20. DARTH_TRAE

DARTH_TRAE Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
    For my Darth Maul costume
    I used army boots. The are surprisingly
    comfortable and look good too. You might try an army surplus store. Some of their prices are pretty decent here in tulsa.

21. Angry_Princess

May 26, 2002
    Darth_Trae

Did you use a particular pattern for for Maul's costume?

22. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    My wife, Dena, was wanting to know on your black Padme corset costume how you did the beaded necklace thing.

Also you got any pics of your costumes? We're both curious to see what they look like!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.