main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costuming Advice?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Rose_Lady, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose_Lady

Rose_Lady Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    Hi everyone! I'm relatively new here in the fact that I have almost never posted :S (I was registered as swiftwind or RoseTruette -not sure which- for about a year or maybe more!). I had a question for all of those bargain shoppers/sewers/costume makers :)

I recently made a trip to our local fabric store - which is usually quite pricey - because I was told you could find "scraps" of material which would be perfect if you're looking to make costumes for barbie dolls. Well, I went to check that out and found out that they are having a birthday sale! Everything thats not already marked down is 40% off. So, I was thinking, why don't I make a costume that would fit me instead of a barbie? The problem is that I will not look that great in something such as the lake dress or the deleted scene dress because Im not exactly the skinniest of people - if you get my drift. So, I was thinking of something that would completely cover me and not be very form-dependant. So, long story short - I was wondering what the best Padme or Leia dress to make would be (budget/time wise), considering that any fabric in the store is 40% off?

Any advice is appreciated!!

2. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Padme is more versatile.. here are my guesses:

EP I: Red Invasion, Travel, Senate
    EP II: Blue Tatooine Gown, Nightdress, Coruscant
    Nightgown?? and Travel Gown ....

I really suggest you look at Maggie's Padawan's Guide:
    Padme Ep I Padawan's Guide
    Padme Ep II Padawan's Guide

I personally have not made any Padme ensembles... so perhaps other more experienced costumers can give you some other suggestions...

3. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    i would say the dark blue tatooine gown from episode 2 would look good on someone not so small as padme

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
  5. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    I have the same shape problem myself. I've found there are few Leia costumes that don't depend on you being fit or trim. Her Endor Strike team enemble is the only one I can think of. I've thought about trying that one for a while now. So many of Padme's outfits (surprisingly) don't depend on being thin either, most of her Episode I dresses were large enough for a full figured female to get away with, in Episode II the Tatooine poncho could be done, and so could her Packing Gown ( <3!!). Since you have time restraints, though, I'd recommend the Leia Endor outfit..

6. Rose_Lady

Rose_Lady Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    thanks for all the advice :)
    As it happens...I am a *big* fan of Maggie's site and visit regularily :) I find its a great source coming from a great person.

I checked out that post - it was also quite helpful! It makes me realize that im not alone, that theres hope, and lots of great support on this board.

As for the time limit...well, I suppose it doesn't really apply anymore :S I wasn't able to hop on down to Indianapolis, but thats fine because everyone's posting great pictures so it feels like I was there anyways :D I think Im going to go with the Senate or travel, possible Leia's endor too. Although...I am a *little* afraid of anthing that involves pants.

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    The simple rules I applied to myself since the new Singapore BMI Chart still labelled me as Very Obese, not too much Flesh or tight suits. But of course I broke that rule when I do AOTC Padme White Battlesuit :D but then again, my suit is only semi-tight and I don't wear it without the cape, other than now it being turned into CW Snow Bunny Padme here and there. ;)

The things is, just do whichever costume you're most comfortable with, with a thot for what others might think when they see you in it. ;) IMHO, too much flesh exposed will always cause lots of Vomit Buckets compared to semi-tight suits but still covered up.

8. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Myself, I'm not as skinny as padme... yet, I dove head first into the lake gown, and wore it to my juniopr year prom, and I, at least, thought I looked great. I also have done the parade gown from episode one, and got many compliments on it. THe last one I did was the sleeveless costume from episode three- it's just all cute! While I know that I can't wear things like the slave leia or any of the stomach showing costumes, I can adapt others to my body shape. Like the pastel dress, I simply raised the back, and widened the neck a bit to let me wear a halter bra. With some altereations to the design, I think that a LOT of shapes and sizes can wear almost all of the padme and leia costumes. I think it's about the attitude you have when you wear it.

Just my .02

~Laura

9. Rose_Lady

Rose_Lady Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    :D I suppose that is the general rule - find something you're comfortable in (and of course, have the right attitude when wearing it!).

It's really great to hear from you all on this subject. Its given me some new ideas that I will most definately try and work on :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.