main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Costuming and Prop Building FAQ

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mike-El, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    I want this thread to be a place where we can ask questions and get answers to all of our costuming questions.

Here is mine...

When gathering parts for a particular costume is it looked down upon to buy an already assembled part of a costume?

For example the Rebel Pilot has a chest box, I saw a kit that was sold and you assembled and painted it. But I also saw one already assembled and painted on E-Bay that looked very impressive. Would it be looked down upon for a person to buy the parts already assembled and ready to go as opposed to the costumer that assembles his costume piece by piece?

2. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    No, you can buy the entire costume. You are in no way required to make your own. All tha's important is that you have a costume.

STAY AWAY from Star Fortress Productions!!!!!!!

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    Agreed. Always do your research on a seller... and never buy from Star Fortress.

4. Mike-El

Oct 16, 2006
    1.)What kind of silver is on the Fleet Trooper blaster?
    Is it a chrome like shiny silver or more like keychain kind of silver?

2.)On the curious side, was the 3 piece Vader helmet/mask worn is 3 pieces or was it done just for the 2 scenes where the mask is being taken on and off minus the ESB theme.

3.)Does Stormtrooper armor come in different sizes or is it one size fits all. I remember seeing a guy at C3 that was taller than Cole and there seemed to be too much spacing between the plates.

5. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    There's my size FX armor, and there is smaller movie acurate armor. Anyone bigger than me would have a hard time squeezing into that. The FX armor can be shimmed so that it is a little wider, but tall people will always have to deal with the "gaps". I have trouble some times keeping my chest piece over the ab piece. Becaue I'm a little tall, it doesn't have much space to overlap.

6. Darth_TKD

Darth_TKD Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2002
    Poor Jennifer...

:D

7. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
  8. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    Yeah, I always wondered if my fat a$$ would fit into Scout Trooper or Snow Trooper armor.

Doesn't matter though. I can't afford the armor :_| .

9. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    About a costume, but not SW related-

Know of anyone that has created a Captain Howdy (from the first Exorcist film)costume?
    [face_skull]
    [face_hypnotized]
    [face_worried]

10. wcostumes

wcostumes Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2007
    EDIT: Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

11. des0late

des0late Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2007
    Do you think my vader suit could pass 501st regulations right now?

12. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Yes , it should get you into the 501st. Mike scout troopers and snowtrooper armour is the choice for manly men such as are selves. It is unfortunate that only skinny, girly-men can wear trooper armour.

13. Mike-El

Oct 16, 2006
    Methinks the Republic Commando armor can be manly too.

Republic Commando Armor

14. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    I saw that. It did look like it would fit a larger gentleman.

For the RFT blaster, "silver aluminum" is the color most everybody uses. The "chrome" doesn't do any better and the aluminum is a buck at Walmart.

15. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    That isn't my specialty. You are gonna have to check with the Sith Lords detachment for that.

16. des0late

Feb 26, 2007
    i think am lacking in some areas but i believe i will be at the 501st level in the next few weeks...

17. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    go to the site and submit your pics. They'll let you know if you need to fix anything to get in.

18. Mike-El

Oct 16, 2006
    What is the best way to search for costume parts for Star Wars costumes on E-Bay?

Typing "Rebel Pilot" turns up many an action figure.

19. des0late

Feb 26, 2007
    i usually just type in star wars costumes... that will usually bring up everything

20. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    Filter by price. Highest first usually does the trick. [face_skull]

21. Mike-El

Oct 16, 2006
    But the smaller pieces dont cost that much and Desolate I tried the "Star Wars Costume" and I get everything from infants to adults and everything in between. I just didn't know if to save themselves from Lucasfilm that they title the auction by what the specific piece is referred to in the Star Wars universe.

22. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    For the flight suit just type in "orange flight suit" or "orange coveralls" and your size. "Star Wars helmet" or "Star Wars prop" will get you anything else. There will also be a few links to related searches near the top.

23. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    Three things about costumes and props.

There is cheap, fast, and quality. The catch is, you can only have two of the three.

If its cheap and you can get it fast (on eBay for example), then it probably isn't quality. If you can get it fast and its high quality, it aint gonna be cheap. You get the point...

I have found this to be all too true. :oops:

The only costume parts I have ever used eBay for are actually stuff that I knew who the maker was and he usually sold stuff off ebay. The blaster I have was purchased on there because he only had a few left and wanted to sell them fast. My officer belt was purchased on ebay because I found that the leatherworker usally charged $40 but had the ebay listing at $35.

I guess the point is that you should only be buying from reputable dealers for most of your props. They should be well established in the the prop community and be part of the club you are in or hoping to join. Even then, do your homework. (found items are a different story... because that like shopping for anything else)

Even better... try to build stuff yourself first. It will take time and effort, but it will save you money. I like searching the forums for tutorials and prop building guides. Learning how to use bondo or tools has been a lot of fun. :cool:

24. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    I haven't seen any complete pilot costumes for sale. I wouldn't sweat the boots just yet. There are pix and screen caps of the "Awards Ceremony" in ANH where all the pilot's jumpsuits are not tucked into their boots. tucker-inners like to pretend they aint there but they is.

25. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    What What What!!!!! No tucked in boots! Wrong snaps! Oh the world is going to end!

/sarcasm ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.