main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlantic Costuming and Props

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Navigator, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Navigator

Navigator Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2004
    I've always had an interest in costuming and props (even though I've never done much about it) and was wondering if there are any costume or prop makers in the region. I'm seriously thinking about trying my hand at building a light saber, and was hoping someone around here already had some experience. If anyone has photos of home builts, I'd love to see them.
    Here's the URL for a site I found that I think is pretty good for Star Wars costuming and props.
    http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/

2. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    That's a nice site. You might also want to check out the
    Costuming and Props Forum , they probably have some good tips.

http://boards.theforce.net/Costuming_and_Props/b10019/

I do have another link for costuming but I don't know if I would be allowed to put it up due to a word that in the title of the site. :p

3. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    Oh dear Tara, where have you been hanging out :p

Prop making is quite fun...never tried anything Star Wars related though, so sadly I can't be of any help.

The Cleric 007

4. Navigator

Apr 10, 2004
    You can PM the web site to me, I promise I won't be offended or embarassed. [face_blush]

5. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002

OH it's got a mild curse word in it. But I never know what kind of word can be posted or not. :p

6. Grand-Admiral_Stan

Grand-Admiral_Stan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2002

Does anyone know if you can build a lightsabour strong enough to block and give blows in staged combat?

Thanks !

7. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    You should probably ask the people from Yarmouth...

8. Navigator

Apr 10, 2004
    Cheap, Fast or Good... Choose two. :p
    Anything is possible if you have time money and resources, but I assume both money and material selection are limited.
    My only solid experience in actual combat grade weapon construction is with LARP style boffers. Since they're built with safety in mind, they tend to be heavily padded with rounded edges. Not very lightsaber-ish.
    I can direct you to some pictures if you want to see what they look like.
    Nav
    (Typical longsword takes 4 hours and requires about $10.00 worth of common hardware store materials)

9. Grand-Admiral_Stan

Feb 25, 2002

Thanks,

Sorry i didn't have to much time last night to stick around,

money is no real object for the lightsabours, i just want something that looks as almost as real as the ones in the movies, and something durable that i can fight with, thanks

10. Navigator

Apr 10, 2004
    We'll schedule the next meeting to allow more time, maybe just start earlier.
    I checked out one of the links listed in a forum DB suggested, and found one that shows how to make a PVC saber http://www.dougie-doright.com/tutorial.html
    The PVC is strong enough for staged combat, so the only thing left to do is choose a material for the blade. (Probably just another piece of thinner PVC.)
    I think I might try to make this one.
    Later,
    Nav

11. Grand-Admiral_Stan

Feb 25, 2002

Thanks so much, thats amazing, i am going to start working on one soon.

12. Navigator

Apr 10, 2004
    Went looking for the necessary supplies last night but haven't found 1" PVC.
    3/4" PVC yes, 1-1/4" ABS, yes, but no 1" PVC. :mad:
    The ABS has a much thicker side wall, and so it feels bulky like you don't have a good grip on it.
    I'll check out another hardware store tonight. Wish me luck.
    If anyone knows where to find the right materials here in Fredericton, please post. Sometimes the material mentioned on a web site is only available in the US.

13. Navigator

Apr 10, 2004
    Lightsaber materials update.
    CTC on Smythe Street has a small supply of 1" plumbing PVC pipe and fittings. However, they also have electrical PVC pipes. The 3/4" electrical pipe is almost exactly the same as 1" plumbing pipe and there's a BIG difference in price. So I think I'll try using the electrical PVC. Its a different colour, but all the parts get painted anyway.
    Nav

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.