main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Read, PA Costuming and Props

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    After talking to over with Rob, we decided it would be a good idea to start up a thread designated for costuming and prop building. I own a TIE Pilot uniform and I'm a member of the local 501st garrison and I'm willing to help out where needed.

So, I guess I should start off with the easy question and ask who is interested in building or already owns their own SW costume?

2. lightning-girl

lightning-girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    well it's safe to say that I don't have anything star wars save for my posters but I am willing to pitch in with set and costumes! if my mom doesn't freak out and give me the meeting someone on the internet is dangerous...so yeah I won't be of much help save for putting my costume ideas on the site.

Beka out

3. JediSoccerDad

JediSoccerDad Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    I, sad to say, have the most pathetic Jedi Outfit, save a robe & flashlight (See Picture Link in FF BIO).. :oops:

I'd like to make a better one & I would also like to make a Clone Trooper Outfit. I thought between the two I could also modify it to a Clone Wars Animated Obi Wan Costume.. :cool:

If I would dare to dream.. an impossible dream... (no, I'm not singing.. ok, maybe a little 8-} ) I'd make a Boba Fett Costume o_O

4. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I have a rather pathetic Jedi costume. Lots of ideas on how to improve it, but little money and no time to work on it.

I have a TIE bucket, a chest box that needs a lot of work, a flight suit that is a little short on me, boots that are too tight, and no armor. That is the extent of my TIE Pilot costume. I am hoping that by summer I will have the time, money, and energy to finish it.

5. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    You know, when I was searching for a PIC for the Imperial Knights' Yahoo Group Page, their uniform is pretty cool! :cool:

I wouldn't mind making that!

6. EighteenDelta

EighteenDelta Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2007
    currently I have no costume of noteworthiness, I have the materials (Fabric), the means (equipment), and a moderate amount of skill, just lacking the motivation and time, mostly motivation right now.

-x

7. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    I second Dave on his comment on the other thread. I would most definetly be interested if you get a vac table together.. If you do, Steph, clue us in on items we might need, etc, etc, etc.. I think you have the most experience, so I think you should have the lead ;)

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    From what I hear, a vac table involves a lot of trial and error and is very costly to construct one that's capable of pulling armor. I haven't actually witnessed the process in action, but I'd imagine you'd go through a lot of ABS sheets before you get something that is actually workable.

9. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    I think a larger part of the difficulty in pulling armor and other pieces for that matter comes down to the mold building. Trial and error I have no problem with and I will buy a fair supply to initially get off the ground with, I already worked it into my head, from my reading it 10:1 for the first couple attempts. I think starting smaller and building up to larger pieces is key. I also have some ideas for innovations that may or may not prove useful. I think my current job will help a bit, I have a pretty strong pool of plastics experts. My father-in-law has 40 years experience in the chemical industry, specifically plastics. I also plan to buy the plastic sheet in bulk if possible and stock pile. The table itself is not terribly complicated; it comes down more to technique. Maybe we can find someone close enough with experience in homegrown vac tables to help the first couple times. Does anyone here have any resin casting experience? Resin casting might be nice for blasters and stunt sabers or smaller accoutrements for example.

I would like to make a set of ubeese armor for a friend of mine some day and maybe a set of clone or storm trooper armor for myself. I originally started building the vac table because I wanted to make storm trooper armor suitably sized for my wee-little ones for halloween. Maybe this year that can happen. I already may a clay replica storm trooper mask the size for my son, just need to make the mold and cast it in plaster so I can try pulling the ABS over it when things come together.

-x

10. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Is anyone interested in setting up a time/date to maybe have a costume/prop making gathering?

Are we going to have a unique and identifiable mark for our group perhaps? It might be fun to incorporate an insignia or patch design.

-x

11. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    Chris,

I think meeting together for costuming is a great idea. PM Steph (HanSolo29) & work out the details & we will substitute it for one of our monthly meetings. We might also want to cover some initial needs that each of us (who are interested in building costumes) need, both money & equipment wise.

Personally, I'd like to start building mine slowly & would love to start.

12. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Initial needs depends on what you want to make. Start a list of things we want to make and we can help list needed materials. I have probably enough appropriate fabric for example to build 4-6 jedi costumes. I don't personally need 4-6, so I am willing to share with those in need. The next thing to think about is what props and what kind of props? Do you want to make props from 'found items' or make resin casts? Lightsabers can be made a number of ways including use of plumbing fixtures, or machined from aluminum. If you are more interested in making armor, we need to do more planning and build a body double then sculpt the pieces, the mold them then cast them, then vac form them. That's a bit more involved, but we could work smart, not hard and do helmets for all the people involved all on one day or weekend, then next time make all the chestplates etc... It comes down to good planning. Maybe we should start with a weekend of making just fabric based costuming ideas and maybe simultaneously people can work on sculpting smaller pieces that they might need.

-x

13. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Has anyone thought about asking the local 501st training group (Carida Academy) if there would be a way to borrow or cast off one of the local armor makers' molds? It would save a lot of time and work. I can't promise that it would work, but it is worth a try. I need the armor and shoulder straps for a TIE Pilot.

I have made one "hardware store" lightsaber, I went a little too simplistic and ended up with what looks like a modified flashlight. I have a few other ideas for "hardware" hilts, but would be up for anything. There are a few sites online that offer great advice on how to make hardware hilts, such as http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/.

As far as a Jedi costume, I need a good robe/cloak. I have a good pattern that a lot of people on the Costuming board recommend and would be more than happy to share it.

14. lightning-girl

Mar 13, 2007
    Even if you have a costume day where we can make them I won't be joining you but I will start to pm costume ideas as soon as I get hit with one.

-Beka Out

15. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Making an effort to contact the Caridia folks, I see that at least one major mukitty muck is in the Allentown area, that would be convenient if that worked out for getting molds pre-made. I will post when I hear back.

-x

16. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    Chris,

If we are thinking of making the May Meeting & BBQ/Costuming Party, do you want to start to talk about what ppl want to start & then tell us what you need us to bring? [face_thinking]

Personally, I want to build/make Clone Trooper, Jedi, & (eventually) Boba Fett Costumes. I'd like to start with the Clone Trooper & Jedi. [face_worried]

P.S. I would also like to be able to combine the Clone Trooper & Jedi to make the Obi Wan Clone Wars Cartoon Costume. :cool:

17. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Rob

To be honest with you, Boba is probably easier to make than the clone, it doesn't require a vac-table and can be made on the cheap with readily available materials. If you want to see how easy a helmet is for example;

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10497

I have already started making a helmet, I made my own dome molding fiberglass and resin over my old Kevlar helmet. Looks good so far and I will eventually post pics.

-x

18. lightning-girl

Mar 13, 2007
    this is even more organized then what my friends and I are doing to make a film out of several book series-es by our favorite author Tamora Pierce. of course we are still on scripts but we've laid some costume foundation. Does anyone know how to edit in special effects such as giant spiders with human heads and purple fire and such?

19. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    I just might start with a Boba Costume first.. I'll have to think about it.. [face_thinking]

20. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Sorry I failed to notice I was not longer logged in for some reason. That was me :::points up:::

-x

21. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I guess the better question is: Who wants to be Jango and who's gonna be Boba? :p

22. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Dibbs, I call Boba.... LOL.

-x

23. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    I like the ESB Boba better :cool:

24. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    Chris,

Lets get a list together of who is interested in starting costumes & then I will bow to your expertise in figuring out the next steps :)

Personally, I will either start with Boba (ESB) or Clone Trooper

25. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Tonight I will try to post pics of my boba bucket I started, just to show you. I am willing to take lead if no one else does. I really do prefer to build my own, over buying other peoples work, I am just strange that way.

-x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.