main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costuming for KofP

Discussion in 'Archive: King of Prussia, PA' started by Calixte, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    Hi All,
    I don't know how many of you are into costuming, but I just started. I've been teaching myself to sew since I bought a sewing machine last fall. I thought we could help each other out in the local area with costuming in addition to the Costuming and Props main thread.

I'd love to hear about your costumes. Also, if you're working on any now.

It would also be great if you'd share resources to get fabric and other types of materials. You may know of a local place that has exactly what someone is looking for.

I am currently working on a female Jedi costume as shown on page 26 of the Ep 2 Visual Dictionary. After that I hope to be good enough to start on the black leather corset and lace skirt from Ep 2. I also want to try Padme's Naboo Starfighter outfit.

So, what about you?

Calixte

2. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Don't laugh, but i was trying to get a teddy bear costume to wear to the midnight showing of AOTC i went to. I was going to claim I was an ewok. No shop had what i was looking for, at least for a 32 year old man

3. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    ROFL!

You told me not to laugh but I just could not help myself. You are either very very brave or....gosh, I don't know what! That's like a dwarf going as the big DV himself.

<mumbles to herself> A full-sized adult going as an Ewok...lol,lol,lol.

Sorry! Just yanking your chain!

(DV=Darth Vader, for those of you who couldn't figure it out!)

4. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Ok, so, still hunting fabric for my female Jedi costume. Found some creamy colored crinkle cotton at Jo-Ann's on Friday and it's very soft and lightweight but has this awesome texture like you see on Obi-Wan's tunic. Going to use it for the outer tunic. Not sure about the undertunic yet.

I'm going to either buy the trousers or make them out of a khaki silk broadcloth (used for suiting, soft and medium weight). I'm thinking of making the tabard out of chocolate brown moleskin or silk broadcloth. I'm also on the hunt for a chocolate brown flannel (suiting not flannel shirt variety) for the cloak. Probably make the obi out of the same fabric as the outer tunic.

As for belts and boots, I'm going to buy the replicas online.

Anyone else putting together a costume?

Calixte

5. TheRenCapt

TheRenCapt Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    I do covet a Jedi costume. I appearred as Qui-Gon at a convention as a part of a friends Masquerade competition entry. I may try to borrow that costume again for the Shampoo event. In the long run, I plan to make my own.

mb
    TheRenCapt

6. jackdoud

jackdoud Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2002
    I tossed together a jedi costume for the opening night of AoTC. Basically just some dockers with a cotton undershirt and a thick cotton button down wrapped insideout. It was good enough for people to think I was hired by the theatre :)
    I should be recieving my stormtrooper armor kit in the mail next week and I can't wait. I'll try and make it to the meeting next week.

-Jack

7. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    My Jedi costume is currently on hold as I rush to complete a costume for June 22 - the pale blue skirt, top and cape Padme wears on arrival to Tatooine in AOTC. Got the wrap shirt mostly done, starting on cape and hood tomorrow. Skirt and sash over the weekend and then stamping the design on the cape next week!

:)

8. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    DarthSikle,
    I hope I didn't offend by getting a laugh from your Ewok costume...I didn't mean any. It is a clever idea...and tough to pull off.

Anyway, come back and talk to us!
    J

9. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    If anyone is interested, whatever fabric you can't find at JoAnn's Fabrics might be found in Philly's "Fabirc Row", just south of South Street are many fabric stores, sometimes you have to buy in bulk though.
    I have been sewing for years, so if anyone needs advice on getting their costume finished, I might be able to help.
    I have completed Queen Amidala's red Throne Gown and a basic Jedi costume for my son. I do plan to make the Queen Amidala's black travel gown, the one with the feathers, and a "Sith Witch" costume.
    BTW Calixte, the fabric for ObiWan's tunic is raw silk, which JoAnn's Fabrics doesn't carry. I know because I used to work for them! :-(

10. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Yeah I know about the raw silk. And actually the JoAnn's down by me does carry it..they just got some in about a month ago. Unfortunately it's all the wrong colors.

Iycis and I did a marathon shopping expedition to fabric row just two weeks ago in prep for the big event at Shampoo (last night). Of course we're like kids in a candy store and want everything we can find. We did luck out and find the exact same fabric for Padme's battle cloak. Iycis wore it last night and it looked great.

I'm putting my Jedi costume on hold for awhile. Now contemplating my next project. Maybe Padme's Naboo Starfighter or Leia's ceremonial ANH gown. I'm getting someone else to make the Slave Leia for me.

:)

11. TenguJedi

TenguJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    I'm working on a Custom Rebel Pilot costume, the only thing I'm having trouble finding is material for the harness they wear.. I need either grey or black web belt material, I can sew it into the shape I need, if i can find a roll of the stuff.. any ideas?

12. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Maybe an automotive catalog or iNet store would carry raw "belt" material you could buy-by-the-foot.

Just a thought.

Have fun.

13. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001
    I have a sewing machine, and its gathering dust...i also have yards and yards of fabric...i would love to make some outfits...and i do plan on creating a fan film sometime within the next 12 months...i just need the right motivation...this looks like a good excuse to get the ball rolling.

14. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Just thought I'd share a reference photo resource with you guys.

It's called thepsychotic.com. Basically, tons of "psychoticly" hi-res photos from EP2, including very clear, detailed photos of some of the key costumes.

I used some of these to help create my CGI 3D model of the grand corridor. Might help you guys with some of those costumes.

Have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.