main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costuming Night

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by ondiv, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    I wanted to extend an invitation out to everyone who would be interested in joining me (and other friends) in a costuming night. I have a large work space in my basement with 2 sewing machines and a serger. There also is a large sewing table as well as a dinner table downstairs that can be used.
    I was thinking sometime in March on a friday late afternoon/evening, either the 4th or the 18th.

I'll also have a computer with full internet available for those who are still in the research and planning stages. I'm planning on finishing up a couple of costumes that have been sitting on the back burner for months. I know that there are a couple of people in the fan force here that are also working on costumes, in all stages from research/planning to just finishing.

I've always found it is easier to work on costumes in groups for the moral support, and the opprotunity to bounce ideas off of each other.
    Even if you already have a costume (or two or three) bring it along to show it off :) Have some repairs that need to be taken care of? This would be the perfect time to take care of it!

I just wanted to put this out on the table and let everyone know...there might be pizza if enough people wanted to come :)

EDIT:
    okay, I've settled on a date for this (one that works with how long it will take me to get my basement cleaned!). I'm going to plan this for March 18th. I'll be working until 4pm that day, but once I get home I'm starting on my robes and what not. If you need directions just toss me a PM.

2. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Great idea! My robes could definitely use some touching up.

3. Jedi_Angell

Jedi_Angell Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 23, 2004
    I'd be game

4. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    That could work. I've already farmed out my Luke ROTJ costume to my aunt. She's actually really excited to do it. But I could come to get a couple of other things started/upgraded.

5. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    Count me in if it's on a Friday night! :D
    I have a dark brown robe that's all cut out & waiting for a serger to bring it all together.

6. Darth Blob

Darth Blob Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 1999
    Shock of all shocks, I'll think I'll make my first appearance at this. I've got a hankerin' for a jedi outfit and convinced the wifey to give it a try.

7. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    *shocked*
    that is way awesome! Why don't you bring the wifey out with you!

8. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    You've made an apperance before Blob. Not for long but I think you attended the AotC viewing night didn't you?

9. Darth Blob

Apr 19, 1999
    I was briefly at the event last year at Jordan Commons, but it was so busy and nobody knew me, so I left after just a little while.

The plan is to bring the wifey... she's the one who has experience with this sort of thing. Chances are we'll get a start on things this weekend at her mother's house. The pattern we'll be using is Simplicity 5840. We found a cotton material with the color "parchment". Any suggestions on what else might be useful to bring?

10. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    How about thread & scissors, maybe pins too, a tape measure? Always good things to have around for sewing projects. I keep all my "stuff" together in a bag so I won't forget anything.

11. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I usually run to my mom on sewing projects. :D I know, I'm so domestic aren't I.

12. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Any suggestions on what else might be useful to bring?

GREAT question. I wasn't going to address this until it got a little closer but hey, since you asked so nice like...

Bring the color thread that you are planning on using. I have the basic white, black, red, etc. but it is always better to color match to your fabric. I'll have extra bobbins so you don't need to worry about that.
    I'm a lefty and so are my scissors so I would recommend bringing your own sewing scissors. I have a lot of pins but it never hurts to have more. Other than that everything else is pretty much covered. I have yard sticks, measuring tapes, straight edge ruler for cutting and all that fun stuff.

13. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Don't forget mom's. That's an important factor in that. ;)

14. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    oh, yeah. My mom might be there as well...She has really gotten into the costuming thing.

15. AliKatKelts

AliKatKelts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    Gah! Being sick and still working 40 hours a week is not fun. I'd love to come do some costuming, but wally world thinks I need to work that night. Maybe if I can switch with someone, I'll show up with my 4 in progresses.

16. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    okay! The week is upon us! It really snuck up on me [face_blush]
    I'm still planning on doing this and am really excited to see that so many people are interested in costuming in our FF! I had no idea!
    For directions, please PM me.
    I'm planning on getting started at 6pm...when ever you can show is fine. We'll shoot for an ending time of 10-11pm so that I don't piss the 'rents off.
    I'll have the basic white, black, and brown threads there so if you need a different color you will need to bring that along. I also recommend bringing a pair of scissors. Mine are left handed and my mom only has one pair. Perhapes if everyone brings a couple of bucks we can have pizza delivered...just a thought ;)

Just an idea of who is coming so that I know what to plan for:
    20x6
    Jedi_Angell
    Jedi_Noghri
    saberwielder76
    Amber_eyes
    Darth Blob
    Mrs. Darth Blob
    AliKatKelts (maybe...)

Mary, are you coming? You haven't actually said whether or not you and Brandon might make it down...

17. Jedi_Angell

Feb 23, 2004
    Can't wait to see you Erin!

18. Jedi_Noghri

Jedi_Noghri Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2004
    I'll come. I'm finally getting all my RotJ Luke costume stuff together. I was going to do most of it myself with the help of dear old mum, but how could I pass up the oppertunity to see everyone again. Besides, if Riley's going, I may as well car pool.

19. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Brandon is doing a guys night out with my family and I don't know what the girls have planned yet.

20. Darth Blob

Apr 19, 1999
    Well, that was a whole lot of fun. I have tabards!

Thanks for all the help, Erin. We'll be taking you up on your offer of additional help.

21. Jedi_Angell

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks Erin! You're awsome!

22. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    WOW! That was a lot of fun and we all got started on new projects that were all....dun du dun, Jedi!!! I thought that was pretty awesome :)
    I'm planning on doing this again in the near future and after the 30th will be available again.
    Darth Blob, your wife is wonderful!! You are very lucky to have her!
    Amber, when that robe is finished you will be the evny at C3...it is going to be so tight! (as in, cool)
    Andy, I want your cloak...and you know it.

23. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Sounds like you all had a great time. I wish I could have made it but I wasn't able to get out of work until 7:30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.