main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY Costuming/Props thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by strawbary, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Ok peeps, I hear the rumble of costuming and the clanking of props, so if you have questions or advice, post them here! Now gimme advice on armor dern it!

-K
    Edit: I just cut and pasted Karls original post in case your wonderimng why it says K ;)

2. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    per request I am cut and pasting Hothgirls post in here

HothGirl Writes:That's something I may be able to help a little bit with...armor. I'm currently working on a screen accurate version of Zam but when I did my prior version, I used a plastic material called sintra to create my armor. It's easy to work with and cut, if you heat it up (by putting it in boiling water or the oven) you can bend it and shape it. I used it as the base of my headpiece for my Sabé costume too. That's actually one piece of sintra cut and bent over then formed to fit my head.

Sintra is great stuff, very user friendly. And since you buy a large sheet of it, it lasts a long time. I've made several projects out of the sintra I have. It's great stuff.

3. Matrix-Jedi

Matrix-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2003
    So how much does this Sintra stuff cost anyways? And where does one go and buy it from?

My other question is does anyone have blueprints for the various armor that's out there? I have a feeling my Jedi armor is going to be a hodge-podge of styles...

-K

4. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Most places I've seen don't have blueprints/templates, but depending on what you're doing you can definitely find pictures of the pieces you need then re-scale them as necessary. The Dented Helmet is a great place for questions about Fett costumes.

As far as jedi armor goes, you may want to draft your own patterns. You can do this with newsprint or posterboard. One nice thing about using poster board is that it's kinda flexible so you can bend it to get an idea how it'll look. Do you have any pictures or can you describe what kind of armor you do want? That'll help me get a better visualization and I can probably help you out better.

Sintra is a brand name, but there are other plastics like it. The thing to remember to ask is when it's heated can it be folded/bent on it's plane. (Don't know if I phrased that well... )

The last time I got a sheet of sintra, it was around $40 bucks (I think a bit less) for a sheet that was about 6 foot by 4 foot. You can get different colors - mine was black - and there are different thicknesses.

When I got mine, a friend picked it up for me from a plastics place in Buffalo (he had it cut into two pieces so it would fit in the car). There's also a supplier online that will ship it to you but it would be wise to ask them to cut it down into at least two pieces (maybe more depending on the sizes you need to work with) shipping will be much much cheaper that way.

If you're interested I can send you links to both places. The place in Buffalo has a list of what they sell online and the other plastics company is based online I believe...just let me know and I'd be happy to dig out those addresses for you. :)

5. Ancient_Guardian

Ancient_Guardian Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    hey guys look at this..it's a web pag i gust made so you could see the jedi armor i started to design...i will have my light saber design on hear too!...that and i sould have my lightsaber done buy Sant Pat's day!

http://www.geocities.com/jedi_ancient_guardian/index.html?1075338247445

6. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    *ROFL* Nice tough w/ the sorry about the spelling comment ;). The helmet seems a bit clone trooper-esk, but seeing as some Jedi were cloned, seems cool.

-K

7. Ancient_Guardian

Oct 25, 2003
    I based it off of Darth Revan's helmet from SW:Kotor...and i have a idead for a uper body armor as it says on the webpage

8. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Speaking of Darth Revan, may be you can get some ideas for creating the helmet from this thread: "Darth Revan" , from the costuming and props boards.

I realize you're not doing that exact costume, but it may give you a few ideas.

9. Ancient_Guardian

Oct 25, 2003
    yeah, that's really cool!, hey do you know if you can get that armor in the game?...and i whanted to make that armor, but i couldn't get a sreen shot so i was makeing a jedi form from a clip it shows in the game, but im defintly makeing a jedi armor!

10. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    Matrix.....you have started something now...LOL

11. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    Does anyone need a list of parts to make other props?

12. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    yeh we are having a costume workshop on the 15th we should really get toghether the list of costumes everyone is working on and what parts and help they need :)

13. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Ancient_Guardian: No idea about the game...what little extra money I have goes towards gas, fabric and costume supplies. :p

14. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    I should have TM my armor idea. Just as long as you all know I had the idea first! Before KotOR and Clone Wars I was spouting off about Jedi armor :D. And wouldn't a Darth be a Sith?

-K

15. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah, Darth Revan was the head Sith over 4,000 years ago, as I remember it. That is, until Malak turned on him.

To say more would be criminal and spoil the whole game ;) Guardian, have you finished it yet?

16. Ancient_Guardian

Oct 25, 2003
    yeah i finished it..on the good campain...im still working on the dark one..and i cant belive the...twist that was in the game, i didnt expect it at all!

17. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    *scratches head* I could have sworn this was a costuming thread.................

18. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    "rubs chin and nods" Yeah me too

19. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Have you seen the fanfilms thread, "OT and completely relevant?"

Yeah, that's us ;) We're hanging onto relevant by a thread.

No, that wasn't meant to be a joke. :p

20. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    ok, we need to change the date on the workshop to either saturday the 21st or the 28th.......Our key costuming instructors can only attend those two dates.

Which date is best for everyone?

21. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    The 21st.

-K

22. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    21 sounds good to me

23. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    21st works.

24. DarkjediAssasin

DarkjediAssasin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2003
    the 21 can work for me i guess but i dont know, might be going to NYC then. my parents havent told me yet...

25. Padawan_Drogon

Padawan_Drogon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Can't make it on the 28th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.