main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costuming question

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by metalinvader1982, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalinvader1982

metalinvader1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2007
    Hey gang,Quick question for anyone who has costumed in the past.

I plan on dressing up as Han for the event and was wondering what I should do when it comes to the gun.Obviously,It's plastic but should I just throw it in with my luggage or notify whomever at the airport and let them know?

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I do remember reading about that for C5....THIS thread might have something in it that might help. I know there's a thread around here talking about it.

3. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think someone wrote last time, that they put in on top in their checked luggage with a big note saying "prop gun, doesnt work", so when TSA opens the luggage they will see the gun but also the note strait away.

4. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    Put it in your checked bag if possible and you wont have to worry about hassle of security. And put in an easy-access pocket by it self if possible. When it shows on scanners, they will open your bag to look at the gun. My daughter put her Padme gun underneath clothes and other items and TSA opened the bag and removed things until they got to the toy gun. For return trip home, we put it in outer pocket alone and they didn't open any other compartments.

5. metalinvader1982

metalinvader1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2007
    Thanks for all the advice folks! This will be my first Celebration,So I just want to make sure every thing runs smoothly.Even if I am planning to far in advance. :p

6. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    There are three ways that this can be accomplished.

1. Drive to the convention, and take it with you.
    2. Send it to yourself. It is NOT a firearm, but a replica, and thus is shippable through the mail. Send it to your hotel, care of your name, and ask the hotel to hold for your arrival.
    3. You can take it with you--but the more realistic the gun is, the more precautions you will have to take. It must go into your checked baggage; and for safety's sake, declare it to the ticket agent when you turn your bag in. It may be best to put it into a hard sided case by itself. I'm sure that most of you know this--but it bears repeating. Do NOT attempt to take anything that even looks like a firearm or weapon aboard the aircraft with you. TSA will confiscate it, and it will more than likely be destroyed.

When I was traveling to Celebration II, I had a pair of blunt nosed children's scissors--the type you get in grade school--in my carryon. I was questioned extensively by TSA about why I had the scissors. (it was part of a sewing kit!)

If you decide to send any costume items or replica weapons to yourself, make sure you insure the package, and that you get a tracking number.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So far I've never dared to take any of my replica weapons with me, but this time it would be fun to have my blasters. Also the fact that last time I travelled with a bunch of 501st guys, and didn't seem to have any problems with their blasters, has made me a bit more confident that it's doable.

I'll put it on top with a picture of the blaster and costume though.

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I know I wrote up a "how to fly with your costume" note from last time. One of the stormtroopers who marched in the Rose Parade was a TSA official, so this is what he said:

Wrap your stuff really well (use your T-shirts and other clothes as padding), and then right on top, include a note to TSA with a photo of your armor/costume/props laid out telling them that this is what it is, and this is where you're going with it. The more realistic looking pieces (like prop guns and even lightsabers), try and have them near the top so TSA doesn't have to dig for them. I did this with my X-Wing last year, and it worked fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.