main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costuming Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Silas Tri, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    I am new to the concept of costuming and I'm looking to create one for Halloween (and conventions/celebrations, etc). I have the look pretty much figured out, but I need to know where to get the items to put it together. I will need a hooded cloak (black), belt, boots, gloves, etc. The look I have in mind is very similar to my avatar. I would like to keep the total price under $500.

Any ideas on where I can look?

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I guess it really depends on whether or not you plan to make it yourself or commission it.

3. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    I would like to put it together myself.

4. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm assuming you know how to sew, then? ;)

Truthfully there's lots of references on www.rebellegion.com in terms of cloak and tunic patterns, belt tutorials, good places to find boots, etc.

5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Some black clothes and a lightsaber should not run you over $500. At all. If you really want to go for it I guess you can find some $200 boots, designer leather gloves, etc. but you should be able to do this look adequately without spending tons.

6. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    He should be able to keep it under $500 pretty easily, but you'd be surprised how fast it can all start adding up, depending on the materials used. Jedi costumes use a lot of fabric, especially in the robe, which should ideally be made from wool. You can make it from other materials, but the weight and drape of a nice wool can't be beat for a good Jedi robe. And those things have huge hoods and epic sleeves. I'd say you can easily go through 7 yards of fabric for a proper Jedi cloak, possibly more.

And of course lightsabers run the gamut of the inexpensive hardware saber to the crazy expensive custom sabers, and you've got the leather belt (less expensive if you do it yourself, of course), the inner tunic, outer tunic (which will look best if fully lined), obi, pants, boots, pouches, food capsules.... it can add up. It doesn't have to, but it can.

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Lisa speaks the truth. One of my friends did the math and realized that his Obi-Wan costume, including all of his upgrades over the years to make things more screen accurate, had crossed the $1000 mark.

And fabric is DEFINITELY where the price will hurt you. Subscribe to JoAnns mailing list for coupons if you have a store nearby, and always keep an eye out for discount stuff. That 40% coupon might not seem like a good deal until you suddenly have to buy 8 yards of wool at $18 a yard.

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Or use a non-wool fabric.
    Some plant-based fibers can do nicely.

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I love plant based fibers (bamboo rayon is my new favourite textile), but it's all about knowing where and how to use them. I'll refer you to Miana's Naboo Pilot thread for reference- at first, she made her coat from rayon to cut down on heat and cost, but it ended up looking pretty limp and kind of sloppy. The second version, made from wool, was a vast improvement. You just can't duplicate the weight and drape of wool with another fabric, and that's the difference between a good costume and a great costume. It all depends on what you're looking for.

I'll grant you that I wasn't always this picky about fabrics, but once you start, it's hard going back. And if he's got $500 budgeted, I say go for the wool. You just feel awesome every time you put it on. :D

10. Budd Terry

Budd Terry Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2015
    I am Very New to the Star Wars Forums. I just finished my Sons Halloween Costume of Deadpool and I wanted to make a costume for myself. Last Year, while Trick O Treating in our new neighborhood, I saw all kinds of adults dressed in their costumes as well. I have always been a Star Wars Geek. So I started a project of building a Darth Revan Costume. I have taken some Artistic freedoms with my build. I started building the mask. As I researched the mask more and more, I saw the resemblance of the Mandalorian helmets. So I started building a helmet with the pepakura program. After several attempts at Boba Fett style helmet, I just made a foam mold of my head using tin foil and duct tape. Now I had a basic helmet the shape of my head and started to add the front face of Boba Fett while keeping reference online photographs of Revan's helmet/mask. I wanted to be the Sith Revan and decided to put a Darth Vader style flare of the back of the helmet. Also similar to a Samurai helmet. I am in the process of painting the helmet after coating several times with a resin to fill in the seams and build up some areas which needed extra material.

I was wondering how it would be received by Star Wars purists.

I have also taket some liberties with Revan's Chest armor as well. Instead of the flat chest armor, I decided to go with a muscular chest armor, (Pectoral muscles) to add a little bit of toughness to the Character. I know, Darth Revan is a Total Stud and doesn't really need extra toughness. I just felt compelled to take some Artistic Freedoms. Again, Wanting to know how the costume will be perceived by the Star Wars Community.

All of the other portions of the costume adhere to the 501st Costume requirements.

I would like to post some pictures for your review, but the newbie in me doesn't have a clue how.