Gd Rapids, MI Costuming thread

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Jaareth, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaareth Jedi Knight

star 1
    got that padme dress done yet? *taps foot impatiently* (grin)
  2. rvqavalon Jedi Knight

star 2
    No...*hides* But I did finish my 18th c. stays. Well, almost--four more eyelets on the front straps so I can tie them instead of pinning them but they're done enough to have pictures of.

DISCLAIMER: You're supposed to wear a shift and a petticoat under these kinds of stays, but mine aren't finished yet. Therefore, I'm wearing it over a modern bra and a regular skirt, so don't click if it's going to burn your eyes to see a teeny bit of some modern underwear. It's not immodest or indecent, but I don't want to get thrown off the boards, either. Hence why it's hyperlinked instead of a clickable picture.

Front view

Back view
  3. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Very nice job. :) Did you use spring steel for the boning, or some other material? I?m not familiar with that particular time frame (I?ve concentrated more on Tudor and Elizabethan), so I?m not sure what the desired shape is (more dramatic re-shaping of the body usually requires stronger boning material).

~H~
  4. rvqavalon Jedi Knight

star 2
    I used plastic cable ties as boning, which are surprisingly strong. This period wasn't so much about cinching in the waist as giving a straight front, pushing up the bust, and having kind of a conical silhouette. The corset and its boning are plenty strong, I'm just kinda shaped like an apple with arms and legs. :p If (read: when) I make another pair, I'm going to use a different pattern and bone them differently and more fully than these are. I used the newer Butterick pattern, and IMHO they're not really as sturdy as they could be. They are pretty comfortable, though.
  5. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    I used plastic cable ties as boning, which are surprisingly strong. This period wasn't so much about cinching in the waist as giving a straight front, pushing up the bust, and having kind of a conical silhouette.

Ah, same as the Tudor/Eliz era then. I also used cable ties, but I doubled up in each boning channel, and boned the entire thing (also had a wooden busk in front, and used two steel stays in back for additional back support). I was also surprised how well the cable ties worked, even though I had my doubts (and as I said, I doubled up).

I haven't used the commercially available patterns yet, but I'll probably add them to my pattern library in the near future.

~H~
  6. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Where can a larger Jedi, such as myself, buy a Jedi robe. any help would be great.
  7. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks Jaareth for the hook up on the robe.:)
    now to make the rest of my costume.
  8. rvqavalon Jedi Knight

star 2
    *gets swallowed by real life* Heeelp meeee...! :p

The Padmé dress is on hold, because I have zero money to be spending on fabric right now. However, I shall be starting a new job next week, so hopefully I can begin saving again. Bleh for college student broke-ness.
  9. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Whee, one of the Jedi Knights of Cleveland taught me to sew last week. Now all I need is a sewing machine of my own, and a job that pays more than a campus job....

Yayness. :D
  10. Jaareth Jedi Knight

star 1
    Profit? A jedi seeks not these things. :p
  11. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    there's a get place right in town that sells all kinds of leather products. just bought a huge piece of leather for a belt i'm making for less than $30 bucks! now i just have to find some hardware for it.
  12. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Christmas came early today!! I just got my jedi robe today!!!!!!
  13. Jaareth Jedi Knight

star 1
    KEWL! wear it to the meeting :p
  14. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I wonder if i can get my mom to finish my tunic before saturday?
    I'm going to bring the belt I'm working on though. maybe I can get some thoughts on it.
  15. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    anybody know where i can find some buckles for this belt I'm making?
  16. Jaareth Jedi Knight

star 1
    hmmm...belts.....buckles...well..i just use a standard belt...and just move the buckle to my back..and noone is the wiser..and the belt i use holds my covertec clip securely...which when your sporting a 300$ lightsaber...thats a very good thing.

You can usually find something ..even if you go to the stores and buy the jedi knight set that has that fake plastic belt...sometimes the buckles are good enough to fake it..after all..most will be looking at all of ya...not just your buckle :)
  17. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I was looking for something more along the lines of a decorative buckle for the front of the belt
  18. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    A local leather shop or thrift store might have what you are looking for pretty cheap.
  19. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ok, I was loungeing around in my new jedi robe and was wondering how do you keep the hood from falling down in front of my face? should I pin it in the back?
    I think I have the same robe as Jaareth, which is from mystik merchants. Oh by the Jaareth... you were right it is feaking cool!!!
  20. Jaareth Jedi Knight

star 1
    heh...ok heres several major points about the jedi robe....

1. It was never designed to be worn in battle....try holding your lightsaber and pointing the tip near the ground...then watch the tip of your sleeves fry on the sabers beam lol.

2. It was only designed for the..."coolness" facter lol

3. the hood....almost never stays in place....its why when they wear the robe in the movies....its either down...or when its up...they rarely move thier head...cause.....you guessed it...it falls..one way or the other lol

4. i have found however...the key to having a chance of making it work, is to put just the tip of the hood..drooping bout 3-4 inches depending on your head type...and poof out the back of the hood so the points lies down. That point somehow does keep the hood in place, but only for a bit.

Most of the time i go with the hood down...thats what you see mostly in the movies. For all intents and purposes..the jedi seem to wear thier robe for warmth and for a look thats immediately recognizable...not for function. When the go to battle...the almost always ditch the robe as its restrictive for all those jedi moves.

Look at the final jedi battle in the genosian arena...almost none of the jedi had thier robes on. I think even mace took his off to fight jango.

Hope this helps...and i hope to see you at the next meeting in full attire :) ill be there heh heh
  21. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    well, my mom said that it might take her awhile to finish sewing my tunic, just because she had surgery... what the heck:)
  22. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    ok I'm trying to post some pics, hopefully i get it right.

[image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v204/jabba974/]
  23. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    ok after I've mastered the art of posting pics, here's some of my new lightsaber
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/jabba974/saber.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/jabba974/lightsber2.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/jabba974/littlehelper.jpg]
    my little helper
  24. Jaareth Jedi Knight

star 1
    wow you tamed the ferocious gur cat...im im pressed :p and he/she is cute too!
  25. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Awww look at your baby. :) I'm such a sucker for kitties, especially ones that help with costuming.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.