Lou, KY Costuming Thread!

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Sad_Max, Nov 10, 2008.

1. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Probably not but thanks. If there's interest it will stay towards the top. If there's not it will just creep down. Not everyone is as into costuming.

I have not heard good things about the Rubies Stormtrooper. No one in the 501st uses it and if you want to be approved 501st you will not get it with a Rubies. Check out the Costuming section of the forums for some choice comments.

Zannah, I would just do as you plan to do and get in touch with your 501st contact. I'll have you over soon to look at my incomplete armor set so you know what you're getting into.

2. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    I just learned what a "sticky" thread is! Now I understand. :cool: I"m getting there. ;)

Thanks Mika for that advise, and I will most assuredly "heed" it my friend. Appo and I are looking forward to coming over and seeing your armor. Just let us know when. [face_batting]
  3. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    For my Han Solo costume I was needing a new holster rig since the cheap pleather one I got from Costume Base wasn't cutting it and isn't screen accurate for Rebel Legion approval (which I needed if I wanted to go trooping with our local wookiee). Looking into buying one there's only one reliable supplier and they charge $350 for a Han belt/holster (although they do really good work) so I decided to try and do it myself. Even though the leather wasn't that expensive it still wasn't super cheap as the metal buckles and the metal disk on a Han belt are specialty items and I had to buy those as I have no metal working skills. There are also resin prop replicas of his belt tools that need to be acquired. Other than that I just looked at LOTS of photo references on the net and just planned and experimented with templates and dye colors until I was ready to get started. I won't bore you with the step by step (although I did post a build thread over at the Rebel Legion) but in the end it was a success. I'm pretty proud of it as it was an ambitious project for my limited skill base. I learned quite a bit during the process and have already thought of ways to improve if I ever decide to make another one...believe it or not Han does have a different holster and blaster in each movie.

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/Han%20Holster%20build/018.jpg]

and yes, my Han Solo costume was approved just in time to have my picture taken with Peter Mayhew

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/ChattaCon%201-23-10/109.jpg]

If you want the step by step here's the link to the build thread I posted on the Rebel Legion (lots of pictures for those on dial up)
    http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21900

4. Jai-Rew-Sett Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great job mika! I am now in the middle of making a belt/holster for my mando kit. Of course I'm no stranger to leather, being in a re-enactment group you pick up things from people and checking out stuff on the internet helps as well. Congrats on the approval from the rebel legion! How many costumes do you have now that have been approved?
  5. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    Wow Mika! Congratulations on this awesome success... on both counts! =D= That was an ambitious venture indeed. The Force Is Strong Within You! Great work there! I can't wait to see it in person... and FYI... when I first looked at the pic, I thought it "was" Harrison Ford![face_batting]
  6. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Thanks!
    Jai-Rew-Sett that makes 4 approved Rebel costumes...Jedi, Rebel Trooper, Rebel Pilot and ANH Han Solo. Someone stop me! That should do it for now. I have some other little projects (more on those later) but my next major project is my custom Mando. I know you're working on one and Cungr is talking about it...it would be great if all three of us could troop our own little Mando squad at CV! I just joined the Mandolorian Mercs forum and I've already picked up some good tips.

7. Jai-Rew-Sett Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have also joined the mercs forum, The Dented Helmet also. I already have the bucket, armor & weaponry. All I need now is a charcoal gray flightsuit/coverall. I'm still not sure on the gauntlets though, I don't know if i want to go with bobas and modify it, or just think of something new altogether. The flak vest I will make myself, I am a little barrel chested so trying to buy one online and then modifying it I do not think is an option. It will definetly be done by CV. I am also working on a new jedi fit as well. I am about to procure a sewing machine so it is on!
  8. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    Wow! Yay for all these costumes! The Louisville Galactic Alliance will take Celebration by >FORCE<!! Imagine that! [face_batting]
  9. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Ran across a Sith Costuming Forum I thought some of our members might be interested in (if you didn't already know about it). "The Dark Empire"

http://the-dark-empire.forumotion.com/

http://the-dark-empire.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Looks like they're going to have a crew at ConNooga next weekend. I'll have to seek them out.

http://the-dark-empire.forumotion.com/events-f25/connooga-feb-19th-21st-2010-t180.htm

10. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    Thanks Mika! Somehow, I'd missed this post. I can't wait to check them out! Going there now. [face_batting]
  11. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    I went and checked out that Sith site! WOE! I've become a member of the board. I'm not "official", .... they have to check out my costume and all... and I think it will take a while. But I might have a chance, especially when I get my armor done. Thanks for that heads up Mika! I truly appreciate it. They are a group with integrity, they want to keep it canon. They don't mind doing your own thing.. as long as it is done with some integrity and there is no doubt that you are portraying a Sith. I'm doing my armor to portray Zannahs, off of the book cover of "A Rule Of Two" The picture isn't real detailed, so it gives me some artistic leeway. I was looking at some of the armor of some of the Official Members... and I "think" I may be in the running for approval. [face_praying] If I can become an official member, that would be awesome! If not, that's O.K... I'll continue being the renegade Sith. :mad: Again.. Thank you! [face_batting]
  12. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    I submitted some photos, and they have made me an "official" member! At least I "think" that is what got me the title. [face_thinking] At any rate, the next thing to achieve is an "honorary" status. Hopefully, after I get my armor done, I'll see them out somewhere and I'll make the "grade". If not, I'm sure they will help me out with some advice. From checking out others costumes, I think I may have some what of a chance. And guess what you guys, Appo has decided to do Darth Bane! I'm very excited about that. As soon as my armor is done, we are going to begin on his. I think with his physic, he will make an awesome Bane! Mmmmm-hmmm. [face_batting]
  13. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    No surprises here, you have a great costume and they should be honored to have you among their Sithy ranks =D=
  14. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    [face_blush] Thanks Mika, they seem like a great group. If I can pass their inspection, I'll feel very good about that. Again, have fun at Connooga. [face_batting]
  15. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    O.K. gang. Here are some pics of what we have gotten done on the armor so far. Its really coming together now. I've not been rushing things, because as we've been going, my Sithie artsie mind has been coming up with some ideas... and its taking a little longer to complete than we originally thought. But... hey, building is half the fun. Well, here are some pics of my make-up, new cape, and the armor. Enjoy.

Black and Red Hood, Close Up Of Face:
    http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Darth_Zannah/?action=view&current=ZannahHoodedpic5.jpg

Darth Zannah. No hood, harsh make-up:
    http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Darth_Zannah/?action=view&current=Zannah2510pic1.jpg

In the link below, are the completed vambraces. I took the idea for the whole armor pattern, off of the artists rendition of Zannahs armor, from the book cover of "The Rule Of Two". The Sith Glyphs, I took from a Sith Holocron I found on line. As the picture on the book cover is not detailed, I have added my "own" artistic flare...

Completed Sith Vambraces:
    http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Darth_Zannah/?action=view&current=CompletedSithVambraces2-2010.jpg

Completed Sith Vambrace On Arm:
    http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Darth_Zannah/?action=view&current=CompletedVambracesandglove2-2010.jpg

Completed Sith Logo For Armor:
    http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Darth_Zannah/?action=view&current=CompletedSithLogoforfrontofPaldron2.jpg

Paldron For Sith Armor
    http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Darth_Zannah/?action=view&current=PaldronforSithArmor2-2010.jpg

Sith Baldric, Very Close To Completed:
    http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Darth_Zannah/?action=view&current=SithBaldric2-2010.jpg

Sith Holocron:
    http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Darth_Zannah/?action=view&current=SITHHOLOCRON.jpg

I hope all the links work. [face_batting]
  16. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I really like the vambrace
  17. Evanakin Jedi Knight

RAWR!! Everything looks so badass Zannah!! I can't wait to see you decked out in the complete costume! Just thinking about it makes my heart flutter...all that black leather...mmmm....WooWee!! I am going to have to step my game up to be on your level of evil kickassness! Hahahah!! I also think that it makes perfect sense for Chuck to dress as Bane. He definately has the build and physique that I imagined Bane would have in the books. CV is going to be one of the most epic events in my life for sure!! I will definately have a hard time containing my excitement and not jumping up and down for joy whilst I am being evil looking in my Sith attire. LOL!! :D
  18. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3

Evanikan! [face_laugh] You are good for my ego! Too cute with yourself! Well, I can completely understand the jumping up and down in Sith gear!! Here we are at Celebration V, all Sithed out.. looking oh so: :mad: AND THEN... ITS ALL I CAN STAND... and all of a sudden, it all gets the better of me, and there I go!!! I picture myself acting like the silly girls in the Heineken commercial, I hope all of you all have seen it. The one where they're looking into the giant closet at all the shoes and cloths, screaming, squealing, and clutching one another jumping up and down. I see you acting like one of the guys in the next room, looking at the beer closet. 8-} Oh my gosh!!! What's a giddy girl... er... uh.... a Sith to do! [face_batting]
  19. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    Oh good Shabs!! Its so embarrassing being me sometimes! If I got it right, I think and honorary status in the Dark Empire means that you are like a celebrity or something, you don't dress as Sith, but you have been given the "Honorary Member" title, therefor it makes one "official". If I have all of that right, I'm as "Official" as it gets, and.... I'M IN!!! [face_dancing] I need to PM one of the Sith Lords on the council, and ask them about representing the Dark Empire at Conglom... when I do, I'm going to make sure I have the "honorary member" title, and official member straight in my head. [face_batting]
  20. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, here it is folks. [face_batting]

Full armor completed pic:
    http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/Darth_Zannah/332010Sitharmorfullbody3.jpg
  21. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Sweet! I'm sure I'm missing a lot of the detail work since it's mostly black but it looks great! Can't wait to see it some time in person.

22. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    Its on the "Louisville Galactic Alliance" Facebook page. I think Mrs. Jedi-Mika can show it to you. Click on the photos section, it should be one of the first ones, then click on the photo and it will blow it up for you. You'll be able to see more of the detail with it there. The white tags hanging on the front of the belt have skulls marked on them... they respresent Jedi which have succumbed to my will. Ooops! LOL! Lord Kraven seen it this morning, and said it passed with flying colors. I'm so releived, I had some anxiety about it. [face_batting]
  23. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    What I like about places like the Dark Empire and the Mandolorian Mercs is you have some room for some creativity with your costume. They still have standards but you can sort of do your own thing.
  24. Jai-Rew-Sett Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree, i've been non stop on the mercs site. I'm sure tomorrow I will be on it all day long!
  25. DarthZannah Jedi Master

star 3
    They allow creativity as long as it doesn't interfere with Movie Cannon... no leeway that I'm aware of, if your depicting a Sith from the Movies. The extended universe is where they allow "some" creativity, and the council decides how much allowance you get, depending on the character. The artists rendition of Zannah on the cover of "Rule Of Two", is a vague picture of her armor... you can't even tell what she has on below her waste... so it allowed me to have some fun with it. I was just soooo very relieved that it passed inspection. I would hate to think that Appo and I went threw all that, just for it to flop out. I still would have done my own thing and had just as much fun. However, I must admitt,,,, its pretty awesome to be a part of an elite group like "Dark Empire". [face_batting]