Lou, KY Costuming Thread!

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Sad_Max, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Evanakin Jedi Youngling

Pertaining to cannon, EU and all that, I have been brainstorming lately about creating a Sith character from my head and designing a costume to wear as the character. Well I have had the name Darth Vitus in my head for quite some time now and apparently when I looked the name up on wookiepedia there actually was a Darth Vitus. Crazy! Now the only material on him that is given is from an online supplement for the SW roleplaying game and it just says: "Darth Vitus was a Sith who lived long before the Old Sith Wars. Vitus established a compound on the Outer Rim moon of Oricon. There, he experimented with Sith alchemy, eventually creating monsters steeped in the dark side of the Force. While the location of the moon was lost to the galaxy at large, its location was recorded in a holocron, eventually leading a group of Sith to the planet many years later." So I am wondering does anyone think that it would be overstepping my creative boundaries by designing a character costume under this moniker which is a part of the Star Wars canon even though the information about him is very limited and there is no visual description or picture available? Or would this be acceptable to do?
  2. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    From what you said the character is pretty obscure and the description vague. I don't even see a species mentioned. I say go for it.
  3. DarthZannah Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Greetings Darth Evanikan. I think its a terrific idea. As far as "my" understanding, you can always do custom costumes. That is exactly what I did... a custom costume of Zannah, and without ever having any inclination of becoming a member of a Sith Costuming Group. When I first did Zannah, I had no idea that elite costuming organizations existed, outside of the 501st and Rebel Legions. Heck, when I first started getting involved in the "active" Star Wars fan base, (I've always been a fanatic) I didn't know diddly. I'm still learning... wow... the years have developed so much where S.W. is concerned. I'm finding that is truly a subculture, like the SCA is. Intense, and I'm LOVING IT!!! [face_love]

However, if you are looking to become a member of an actual costuming group, there are going to be standards to follow. I literally became a full member of the "Dark Empire" totally by accident. :eek:

When I joined the forum, I truly did not expect to meet their standards for full membership. I didn't even have my armor competed yet. (And you do not have to depict and armored Sith, in fact, most of them don't)

It was the pictures of myself and my at the time: in-completed armor,,,, that I submitted to my personal photo section in the forum, which got me passed by them. I made a wish known on one of the threads, that I would "one day" like to become a full member... and unbeknownst to me, the council reviewed my photos, and WHAM!! I was a full member. I was shocked to say the least.... "And Very pleasantly So".

If you are looking to become a full member of the Dark Empire, maybe you should direct your concerns to "Darth Kraven", or I could relay them for you? And then get back with you.

I know for a fact that they accept custom costumes. But again, anyone can portray a character and not be in a costuming group. [face_dancing] And within that aspect, you are your own judge... and can have just as much fun. [face_batting]
  4. DarthZannah Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Mika... right on. :cool: You said what I was trying to say, accept you said it right to the point. I can be so long winded sometimes. LOL! [face_batting]
  5. DarthZannah Jedi Youngling

star 3
    [quote Evanikan] I don't know if anyone has posted this information before, and this is really more for the costume thread, but I'll post it here since we are on the subject. Zannah I have been looking around for affordable lightsabers lately and unless you are wanting to buy the Force FX Darth Maul saber, I would recommend visiting: Saber Forge or Ultra Sabers. Ultrasabers is overall the more affordable one of the two, but Saberforge is decently priced as well. At both websites I believe when you purchase two of the same hilt they send you a free coupler to attach them together with. So you could duel wield when you want to, then attach them together for the duel blade. All of the lightsabers from both sites have removable blades, which is a plus because you can remove the blade and attach the hilt to your belt for costuming purposes. You cannot do that with the Force FX line unless you buy a custom or modify it yourself. The blades that both use in their sabers are heavy duty and very durable for combat use. I would also like to link the high end saber website ALW. The custom sabers that they produce here are just amazing, beautiful works of art. They do complete custom work on your saber but I believe the current wait time right now is 9 months on one so you would not have it in time for CV. If you are willing to drop the cash on one of their sabers and want one now, the sites Ebay store usually has custom sabers that have been already produced and are available for purchase. I personally will be purchasing mine from Saber Forge because I really like the hilt design on one of the models. One thing to note is that if you purchase the silver blade from both Saber Forge and Ultra Sabers, it comes with color discs to customize with. cool The choice is ultimately up to you though since the saber is an extension of yourself and your character. Hope that helped somewhat. [end quote]

Hi there! One of the members of Dark Empire posted some very nasty things about Saber Forge. Also, if you google SaberForge, there are a couple of Rebel Legion blogs, found just under the SaberForge Site, stating pretty much the same things about them, that the Dark Empire member posted. The main points of contention were that these sabers fall apart. I'm not going to trust the site myself. Also, a recent personal experience with them... I've been trying for almost three weeks now, to get them to respond to my e-mails, and they do not have a phone number on the site in order to contact them. If they won't even respond to my e-mails, at least in a timely fashion, I think I'll take my business elsewhere. I really don't like that.

The same can be said for Ultra Sabers... no phone contact info. If something goes wrong, you have to try connecting via e-mail or slow mail.... hmmmm. The more I've thought about it, the less I like that prospect.

I'm going with UltraForceSabers... they have a phone contact number, and I like that very much. I'm going to call them on Monday and talk to them about an order. Their battle ready sabers have sound and the blades detach. Also, they are less expensive than a couple of those sites. A couple of them want 700.00 and up for their sabers. If I were a professional or something, and made money doing this, maybe... but woe. Uh-uh. [face_batting]
  6. Evanakin Jedi Youngling

Hmmm well thats disappointing to hear. :( I will indeed check out Ultra Force Sabers then before I decide on one. Thanks for the heads up Zannah.
  7. Evanakin Jedi Youngling

Although I must say, satisfaction with a product does vary from customer to customer. One person might be absolutely happy with their purchase while another could be downright frustrated. Take for example my case. I purchased a Force FX Darth Vader lightsaber for around $120 when it was first released. Less than a month later the leds on the blade started to short out and eventually did not turn on at all. I wound up with a blade that was half lit. I even kept that sucker in pristine condition displayed on its stand at all times. In fact I only dueled with it one time and I made sure to use very light hits when the sabers connected. I guess you just run the risk when you purchase something online whether it be from a reputable brand name company or a small dealer that contructs them by hand. :confused:
  8. DarthZannah Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Oh by all means, satisfaction changes from one person to the next. ;) And of coarse, we all make our personal decisions on our personal needs and wants, followed by gleaned information concerning attaining them. We can never accumulate enough intel. Thanks again for the awesome acquisition sites my Sith brother. [face_batting]
  9. mindtwister_138 Jedi Master

star 3

I think I'm gonna go ahead and give saberforge a shot. He has 3 hilt designs I really, really like. I'm still unsure about the quality with the sound and lighting of the saber, but that can be added in later if I decide to get the hilt only. I haven't seen anything like those, and even the people who have negative satisfaction with the electronics say they love the hilts, so I'm building off of that. If I decide to give the sound and ligh aspects a shot, I'll definitely keep you all informed on how it goes.
  10. DarthZannah Jedi Youngling

star 3
    So Mindtwister, you are going with SaberForge, and Evanikan, are you going with SaberForge too? Or UltraSabers? Which sabers have you two decide upon, and how soon are you all ordering? [face_batting]
  11. mindtwister_138 Jedi Master

star 3

I'm torn between 3 right now. I am getting mine from Saberforge mainly because I love the uniqueness of the hilts, and the hilts alone seem to be priced fairly. I am looking at either the Sun Crusher, Reliant, or the Dark Lords Relic. I am really leaning towards the last one though. Such an awesome hilt!
  12. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I have a saberforge and I really like it. I'll bring it tonight (but leave it in my car, don't want to freak out the mundanes). I got it about a year and a half ago and it seems customer service may have gone down since then. After reading the threads on the Rebel Legion boards I would expect the worst when ordering and just be prepared for a long wait.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21552&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

13. Evanakin Jedi Youngling

Cool Mika! I really want to go with Saberforge for the awesome hilt designs, especially the windowed ones, but because I plan on duel wielding and dueling with mine I am probably going with Ultrasabers. I have a budget and I need two lightsabers so that combined with the durabilty, I think Ultrasabers is the choice for me. I am probably going to go with the Sentinel in blue and the Omen in red. The hilts are quite plain so I plan on doing a little customization with mine. Like maybe a leather grip or some etching on the hilt. When I have the time and money I am going to upgrade and by one from Advanced-Light Weaponry. The craftmenship on the sabers he makes are really superior from what I see and have read. I also saw this Video last night on Youtube and just wanted to share it. Its an extreme durability test of two of the Initiate sabers from Ultrasabers. Kinda sold me on them. Pretty crazy. :eek:
  14. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Another budget option for a "custom" lightsaber is the Master Replicas Force FX Lightsaber Construction Kit. They put these out right before they lost the license but you can still find some around the net. It's basically the metal adult version of the plastic build a lightsaber kits that were out a while back for kids. You can put the grip pieces together in any combination you wish and even change the blade color. It's like getting a bunch of different lightsabers all in one box.

Oh and nobody asked but a padded rifle case is a great way to store and travel with your lightsaber to keep it from getting banged up.

15. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Just for fun...
    I had a steampunk wedding to go to this weekend (and I thought *I* was geeky) so I put together a Han Solo inspired costume.

First I got my gear together...
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/Costuming/041.jpg]

Painted up a Rubies Han blaster and a spare droid caller (now a clank/mech caller I guess). Han belt tools are now literal tools and a medal of Yavin for some extra bling.

Then made a belt
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/Costuming/098-1.jpg]

Then all the traditional components..white shirt, black vest, navy slacks, black boots...plus goggles and mutton chops for that Steampunk flair.

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/Costuming/053.jpg]

Ready for a wedding!

What was interesting was people didn't immediately get the Star Wars inspiration until I drew the blaster. When I had the blaster in my hand it made all the difference in the look of the outfit.

And now I have another costume to wear around the cons.
  16. Evanakin Jedi Youngling

WOW!! Thats awesome Mika! My girlfriend went to a Victorian teaparty hosted by Louisville Goth this past weekend and she said that there was a steampunk group from Louisville there called the Derby City Steampunk League. Maybe you know people in it haha! Very cool man!
  17. DarthZannah Jedi Youngling

star 3
    That "is" awesome Mika! But then again, I haven't seen you when you werent'. [face_batting]
  18. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of them. I checked them out online and they seem pretty cool. I just don't think I have time for another hobby right now. Looks like a couple of them are going to ConGlomeration, I'll have to introduce myself.
  19. Evanakin Jedi Youngling

Hey Zannah I was wondering what size shoe Darth Bane(Appo) wears. I have some black Jedi boots size 13 that are too big for me. They're not super deluxe because they zip up on the side, but they still look very cool for a sith costume. I have no use for them and thought that if he didn't have any for his costume yet he could wear em, if they fit.
  20. DarthZannah Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Thanks Evanikan! I'll send you a PM about the details. [face_batting]
  21. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight

star 3
    okay, so got a gi. now I just need help dying it either black or gray. anyone know anything about dying clothes?
  22. DarthZannah Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Just a thread bump, as this one was at the very end, and this is an awesome thread. Hey Mika, do you think this one would be worthy to make sticky? I think that means it will automatically get bumped? [face_batting]
  23. Jedimommy Jedi Youngling

Did you get help or get this done, dying clothes solid black is really easy. Depending on the fabric you might be able to get RID at the store but if you have fabric that is harder to dye Dharma has everything you need, if you need to dye this still I will get you the website.
  24. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    No, that means it's pinned at the very top of the thread list regardless of any activity it may have. I'm not a big fan of keeping a thread artificially at the top when there's no activity unless it's special news or an announcement. The previous Louisville Alliance had a sticky collecting thread that didn't have any activity for like a year but there it sat at the top of the list. I'm not too worried about the costume thread dropping out for lack of activity :). It's okay if it drops lower from time to time, it will always make a comeback.

25. DarthZannah Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Stuck at the top? Oh yea, agreed. Waaaay toooo sticky. Thanks for the info Mika. [face_batting]