main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Costuming Workshop Day #1- Cancelled See Update

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by SRB_Jedi_Knight, Mar 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    The 1st costuming workshop will be held on Saturday April 26. The place and time will be announced at the next meeting. Please be prepared to bring the following materials for the 1st workshop. Fabric Shears, patterns, fabric. This workshop will be about 5-6 hours long depending on how fast we can complete everything.

More info is posted on are other boards as well. Please post in either board whether you will be attending these workshops.

2. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    People should also bring some straight pins to hold the patterns onto the fabric for cutting.

I wouldn't think it would take 5 or 6 hours just to pin and cut out a couple of patterns, especially if people bring their own. But you never know. Better to allow for more time than will actually be needed.

Not sure yet if I'm going to go to this initial class. I plan on working on my own costumes at home by myself. I may just come to the sewing one(s) to bring my machine and help out.

3. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    Yes straight pins are needed as well. Also I say 5-6 hours as I am hoping for a lot of participation in this workshop. Also for first timers pattern cutting can sometimes be complicated at first until they get the hang of it. We will go over a complete list of what is needed for the first workshop at the next meeting.

With this in mind, start looking for deals at Joann fabrics. They run deals on fabric all the time. There clearance fabric is always a good place to start. If you need to know what types of fabric to get for a certain costume or what paterns are needs start posting those questions here.

4. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    for fabric you might want to check one other place thats close. i think its called the fabric warehouse and its located on ball just before knott on the left side. thats where i got the brown brushed denim for my jedi robe at $1.99 a yard.

5. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I think that's the same place I got the fabric for my Jedi robe.

6. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    Also for those doing Jedi costumes. Remember you do not have to do them in the traditional brown earth tones. You can do them in blues, greens just about anything. Even Black if you are going for a Sith. If you are not going for a sith then I would stay away from the black.

Good fabric for inner tunics is called muslin. For the outer tunic, obi and tabbards a light weight cotton works well. For the outer robe you can use brushed denim or a heavy weight cotton. Just look around for deals. Also go and get on Joann's mailing list they send out coupons all the time for 50% off any one item so you can use that towards your fabric.

7. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    I have also invited Ventura, LA, Inland Empire, Mojave Desert and SD to participate in these workshops as well.

8. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    One of my friends is getting married that afternoon, so unfortunately I won't be able to make it. But I will catch up at home (with somehelp from mom) to be at the same level you guys are at afterthe meeting. :)

9. dustinbrewer

dustinbrewer Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    my wife would like to know the pattern numbers and brands that are most used for costumes if anyone knows. and a pattern that has up to xl or xxl would be choice.

so we're looking at possibly making a heavy realistic darth maul outfit and a bariss offee/luminara unduli outfit.

we already have a cloak pattern which is for ring wraith lotr costume(we made a quick lightweight one and i used that for darth maul last halloween). if all goes according to plan(no one is sick this time), and we can make it, she will bring her sewing machine and overlock.

10. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    Pattern numbers for the basic Jedi gard are as follows:

Outer Robe: Simplicity 9887 - In addition to this we will nee to download info from Amber's Jedi Meditation page and the Padawan's guide to get the oversize hood completed correctly.

Inner and Outer Tunics - McCall's 3450 (basic bathrobe pattern.

Obi and Tabbards - We will need to get info from Amber's site as well as the Padawan's guide.

There are many variations which can be done for diferent looks to the Basic Jedi Garb. We can brainstorm to come up with a Outer Robe which is that of Ki-Adi Mundi's or anything else someone is thinking up. Other ideas as well are to have your Obi and Tabbards made from a Vinyl (pleather) to give the "Anakin" type look. I myself will be looking into this for the futureand have done some research on it, so if you're interested in something like that I can probably help.

To be honest an Luminari Unduli costume in my opinion may be quite hard to get finished in time for Comic-Con. However We can try and do something similar or just go for it and see if we can get it done in time. We will have to ask for help from the Costuming and Props board on her head piece for sure. Barris should be easier, although I have never actually seen what her tunics are like. I do have a book description from The Approaching Storm that might be of use. As for the sith outfit. I would definitely suggest some black vinyl or pleather to get the look correct. It will only make the Sith costume stand out that much more. Sith garb can be done as basic black jedi gard,or a spin off with the pleather.

For basic Jedi garb though the patterns above will be enough to complete them. Also remember as I stated before colors are no big deal. Although we don't much use of it other than Luminari and Barris in the movies, the New Jedi Order has plenty of examples of differently colored Jedi garb.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to really watch when you decide on fabric. DO NOT get any synthetic material. Only natural fabrics like cotton and so forth, unless you're going with the vinyl(pleather stuff). The reason for this is the natural fabric breathe and allow air circulation and the others do not. My costume is made from muslin and cotton and it is still very hot at times so keep this in mind when shopping for the fabric.

Again if you have any other questions please post them here to let us know.

11. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    You shouldn't have a lot of problems being in the costume while you're indoors at Comic-Con. Although, if we're moving around a lot, you will warm up a little. It's outside that you'll have the most problems. And even then, we'll be right on the bay, so it'll be pretty cool most of the time.

A little more OT, when I had my mom make my robe, I had her do the proper size for my height and then use the next size up (or possibly 2 sizes up) for the hood. That gave the hood that nice big, open look. I would ask my mom if she could help us (she's a very good seamstress, I think she took classes when she was younger), but due to the currently family situation, it's the last thing I want to ask her about.

12. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Both Joann's and Walmart sell their patterns for 50% off, though Joann's would have a larger selection, naturally.

I'm not doing the "traditional" inner and outer tunic for my new Jedi outfit. I'll be doing a tunic and a vest, and I'll wear a V-neck shirt or turtle neck under the tunic to give it different looks.

For my tunic pattern, I'm using Simplicity #5840. It's also got a couple of different robe patterns, but I don't think they're really right for a Jedi robe, but they are still cool for other uses. I think it has a pretty decent-looking tunic pattern. It also has a dickey pattern, if you just want the look of an inner tunic without the bulk. Also a sash that ties in front.
    And it has a pattern for this dumb-looking "shoulder armor" :p which is someone's feeble attempt at tabbards without calling them that, but they are way too short.

I got my obi and tabbard ideas from Amber's Meditation Chamber, which Shawn mentioned.

13. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I have already planned to bring this up at the next Mojave Desert Fan Force Meeting on March the 28th of 2003. If you guys would like to send an ambassador out during this meeting that would be great. For all I know is what I have heard from you guys. :) But, either way I will inform them.

14. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    After reviewing the references on both Amber's site and the Padawan's guide. I feel more confident that Amber's site will provide us with the details we need for the hood as well as the obi and tabbards. Here is a link for those that want to check it out. Just copy and paste into your browser.

http://www.rebellegion.com/jedigarb/

15. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    Pattern sale at JoAnns Fabrics:

Butterick and McCall's patterns -- .99
    Vogue patterns -- 75% off.

Dates of sale: Friday, March 28 - Sunday, March 30.

Just in case some of you need to pick up some of the patterns mentioned before in this thread.

16. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    Just upping this as a reminder.

17. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    Ok, I need everyone who is going to be at this workshop this Sat to sound off in this thread so we can get a headcount.

Also I will be posting the time and place on Thursday evening.

18. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I will be at a wedding that afternoon, so I won't be coming :) Hope you all have fun!

19. dustinbrewer

dustinbrewer Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    i can't make it saturday, helping prepare a friend's car for new paint. have fun though and i'll see you guys sunday for the lightsaber class!

20. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    It looks like there will not be enough interest in this workshop at this time. So this weekends worshop will be cancelled. If anyone needs help with a costume or was planning on attending this workshop please let me know so we can make arragements to help get your costume done.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.