main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Costuming workshop

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Skywalker2584, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker2584

Skywalker2584 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2004
    I'm posting a new topic here cause I want to see if enough people are really interested in doing this. And this way the Dragon*Con topics stays on topic.

I was thinknig where ever we did this we'd need good internet connection there are plenty of good online sources and referances for costumes. But it's not needed we could print up all our stuff ahead of time that we might need.

Anyway if anyone is interested and getting together to work on costumes before D*C respond to this and share your imput we can actually plan one of these. If nothing else it'll be fun and we can all learn a few things or at least accomplish something semi constructive.

I know I'm gonig to be totally redoing my Anakin costume, fabric, colors, glove, spats, pouches, gotta get me a FX saber gotta, and maybe even a wig cause my hair is all the poof. I am also thinknig of working on my X-Wing costume that is barely started.

Anyone else interested in this? What costumes were you thinking about?

2. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    I'd be up for helping people with their costumes :)

3. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    I live for building costumes...If I have a free weekend. I'll be up for a costume building party.

4. JediAgent

May 17, 2002
    Well that didn't take much convincing, Tambo :p

5. TamboFett

Jul 8, 2003
    You know it Ryan... i'm Starting work on my Weequay Skiff guard costume (taking a break from the armored guys) I already have the two hardest parts done, The mask and Vibro-axe.

6. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    that's an unusual one...can't wait to see it!

7. JediAgent

May 17, 2002
    Hey Joe, congrats on getting accepted into the RL!

8. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Hey Glen, I have that item now that I'd like someone to look at to determine the possiblilities of vac-forming copies of. A costume/prop party would be a good idea to me.

I can offer tips on lightsabre building for those budget conscious Jedi in the area.

9. Basill

Basill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Ooo that sounds cool. I'm definately budget conscious these days.

10. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    budget concious? I need a budget to work with first!:)

11. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Anakin Costume? X-Wing Pilot? C'mon Joe, we can get you into the *ARMOR* by DragonCon! I can make TK armor fit anybody!

And speaking of a costume party... I gotta couple of Mandalorians that need some work!

12. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    P.S.

Ryan.... have I told you lately that you're an "Order 66" waiting to happen?

13. Skywalker2584

May 29, 2004
    Anakin costume is that what you thought it was? No no no Loki. I'm still waiting for the 501st charter revision and have folks going to pm me on your boards when it does. It's really once I'm finished with the revisions my "Pre-Mustafar Darth Vader" costume. Heh. I mean Mara, Tusken's, and no younger less machine Vader? Come on man wher eis the love. I'd love to be in armor by then but the wallet she's not so big. I've been crunching numbers I doubt I'll be able to afford armor and all before D*C this year. If that looks as if I can pull it off I'll contact Skip and you ASAP. As of now set the pear pressure to stun caus eI really want some armor so it erks me but more so I want my future more accurate costume allowed into the 501st. Seriously? I'd understand not allowing an EP II Ani costume. But It should be an issue of character but more what makes it accurate enough and dark enough for the 501st or at least thats was my opinion on the matter. But seriously. Anyone else interested. I'd offer my house (cause it's got space) but I sadly yes sadly and I know this is pathetic but I still live with my folks at 22. I'd have to discuss it with them not like they'd say no but oi with us playing nursemate to my grandparents the place isn't as socil friendly as it used to be. The only other porblem is I live far away from most of you. So anyone else have any ideas as a palce and time? I'll keep my cassa aback up plan.

14. RLWedge

RLWedge Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Reading all of this makes me wish I lived in Nashvegas. It would be awesome to have someone with expirence helping a brother out with some costumes. Not to knock Zeke, he's very talented at this kind of stuff, but I wouldn't mind being in some kind of armor at some point, but I don't think I could do it by myself.

Skywalker2584... I hate that I can't remember your real name, slap me if you want to, but if you want to send me to some sites to help me out with at least a pilot's outfit, just PM them to me. If you have any advice on materials (especially the jumpsuit, don't think I'm going to go with khakies and a button-up shirt this time) and stuff like that you can PM me also.

As armor goes, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a stormtrooper because, who's kidding, I don't have the build for it, but the more I thought about it the more I think I would love to do the whole speeder bike scout suit, but I have no clue where to even begin. I really wish I lived close to some of you guys. Jackson... CURSE YOU!!

15. Skywalker2584

May 29, 2004
    Scott, I'll definately pm you tommorow witha list of sights that can help. But for now check uot the Dewback Wing and ASAP. For good pilot stuff alot of my research started there.

Seriously 501st members, back a Sith Lord up here. If you think the costume type should be allowed under canon SL's talk to the Legion HQ cause it looks like it might not ever make in into a charter revision from the talk on the boards.

And another thought maybe depending on how this costume workshop goes we might hold other subsequent ones after words as follow ups.

Oh and Loki to reitterate I do want to have armor by then but I'm not sure I'll have enough money to support the creation of said armor not to mention the undersuit, shoes, blaster etc.

16. JediAgent

May 17, 2002
    RLWedge: Goto www.RebelLegion.com for all your Rebel Pilot costuming needs. There are tutorials and forums there.

Joe: Way too much talk about Ep3 Anakin getting admitted into the 501st and by the looks of it, it might not happen. There are very strong arguments for both but if you want to be in the 501st, I'd try to work on another 501st canon costume. Actually one of the easiest (and cheapest) to do is a Death Star Technician (basically a black jump suit, cog patches on the shoulders, Imp hat and black boots)

One great thing about the Southern Outpost is that the 501st & Rebel Legion work together here. So until you get a 501st approved costume (and yes there are some without armor), most of the events we do are open to RL Members as well.

17. Skywalker2584

May 29, 2004
    *C3P0 voice* Shutting up sir. *End C3P0 voice* I, I just, blah. Yeah I'll let it rest on here.

So any other taker for the costuming get together? I'm gonig to call Michael Mott, I think most of you all met him at the Sounds game or the premiere. He still doesn't have net connection in Waverly. So I'll call him. Last we spoke he wanted to do a good (not 5 minute throw together of old renfaire stuff I had in a closet) Han Solo and he also was commenting on the need for TK armor.

Ryan since Steve and Jenna like costuming but don't post here why don't you invite the young Lars couple maybe use a Jedi Mind trick to get them to hang out more they were kewl. I'll just have to watch some firefly and read the Harry Potter books to keep up with convesations when I'm around the three of you.

For Scott, I'm just going to post these here in case anyone else might be interested. Yeah Ryan I'm a bad Rebel Legion member I shoulda posted that first. But here are more you might find interesting as well.

Help with Cylinders
    Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy
    Tutorials for making your own chest box and other stuff
    Great quality helmets and Chestboxes

Back on Track: In mean time any other thoughts on a place and time cause I don't fancy a bunch of people being willing to drive all the way to Chapel Hill.

18. TamboFett

Jul 8, 2003
    For those of you doing X-wing pilot costumes our very own Kevin has the molds and has been vac-forming them and has all the buttons, knobs and hose material as well, I'm sure he would sell anyone here a kit for a good price.

19. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    I'm willing to host the workshop at my parents' house. There is plenty of space outside, in the garage, or wherever we would want to work, plus they have high-speed Internet from Comcast. My parents also have a sewing machine.

I mainly need to work on my helmet, but there are other things I need to do. The costume I really want to make is Gandalf the White.

I must say that skywalker is sounding like Anakin in the way he is whining about his costume being 501st-worthy. :D The local 501st leadership isn't really in favor of most Sith Lord costumes (Mara, Asajj, etc.) being allowed into the 501st, so this probably isn't the best place to be pushing for that.

20. TamboFett

Jul 8, 2003
    I'm the Southern Outpost GML (membership officer) and i think that the Pre Armored Vader garb should be allowed into the 501st, I really think that Mara and those other EU characters should have a seperate designation because they never held the title "Darth" and are not Sith lords. No matter what you have a great costume and we should all get together and build...I really like the assortment of different characters.

21. Skywalker2584

May 29, 2004
    Hey guys I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Let's just drop the whole thing. I am over eager that's all. I'm not trying to start arguments or anger anyone.

As far as getting this topic back on track.

My D*C 05 costume wish list would be this.

Completely redone movie accurate Ep III Anakin / Darth Vader costume

TK Armor

Gavin Darklighter Rogue Squadron flightsuit

But I'll probably have to settle for the 1st maybe the first and the last if I have time.

The planning here seems to be gonig well despite my best efforts side track us all. We now have two options for a place. Still no timeframe but we have time for planning time.

What I could bring/supply:
    A box of hardware lightsaber parts or unfinished sabers we can all scrounge a bit from,
    Canned drinks if needed,
    I could dig around and bring some material swatches too,
    As well as my costumes in progress

22. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Joe, don't let the whole Ani/Vader thing get to ya, I personally thing that if it's E3 accurate it outta be allowed, but I ain't on the command staff. One good thing though is we work with the RL and have quite a few RL members that are as much a part of our garrison as any TK. But if you want to be "official" on a budget we could throw you an officer uniform together right quick. Since there's only a few 501st members that belong to NAD you might want to check in on the SO board often to see what's up and try to make it out to as many events as you can.

But when you do get bit hard by the armor bug, let me know and I'll come with my trusty dremel and we'll get you in that thing!

23. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I agree that Mara was never a Sith lord and should not have a "SL" designation, but I'm not in the 501st, so my vote means nothing.

Mandalorian armor, Loki? I'd love a set! That was the first costume I intended to make and never did due to complexity and cost. And six years later, cost is more prohibitive for me now than then.

24. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    *coughs* And the techie outfit would need a belt as well. ;)

25. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Unless I somehow end up with a badge/ticket to the CMA Music Festival, I could host this on June 11th. Even if I do get a ticket, that would probably just delay the start time to 3:30. As it is, we can start whenever the first person wants to come over. I don't know when the digital cinema trip is planned for, but if people want, we could have a BBQ/pool party, too, and make it the June event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.