Costuming workshop

Discussion in 'Nashville, TN' started by Skywalker2584, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker2584 Jedi Knight

star 1
    If we do the Grill Out there that day we'll probably need to find another time and place then since we'll want to focus more on costumes :-B then beating people with pool noodles.

Does anyone else know of a place, or Glenn did you have another day in mind for this then the BBQ? Or would we won't do it later after BBQ and stuff that night? Any ideas folks? Glenn since you volunteered?

BTW on costumnig note does anyone know where to get the making sof a Solo style belt? Michael Mott when I told him we were doing this wanted ina nd wants to do a Solo costume. Mike has a Solo costume doesn't he?
  2. loki41872 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey scruff, go for it on the mandalorian! I've got all the componants I need to put together TWO suits and I've spent about $200 so far. Course, that's without paint, boots, rocketpack, blaster, belts and other nick nacks.

I figure after all is done the two mandalorians (one male, one female) will run about $750. Course, I'm not doing Boba or Jango, so I can take some cost-cutting liberties.
  3. Skywalker2584 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nice Loki. What color scheme are you and Tammy going with?

I'm gonig to have enough work ahead of me redoing my Anakin/Vader costume. But if my cash flow holds out with my new raise after my yearly eval I might send you and Skip some PM's. Here is to hoping.
  4. obi-TN Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm not really sure how much we could do in regards to costuming in our first meeting. If we were doing armor and blasters, that could take several hours. I don't think we could do that much in regard to cloth/leather costumes. We could probably figure out what fabric and other supplies people need and give ideas, but sewing (or perhaps preparing something for sewing) takes a very, very long time. I don't think you could make a rebel costume in one weekend.

I think if we started earlier in the day, we could get a lot accomplished in a few hours and when more people start arriving in the afternoon, the focus could shift to the BBQ and pool. We could then have a follow-up session on the 25th and/or 26th that might be focused entirely on costuming. Of course, if I get that CMA ticket, then we would have to put it all off until then; although I might be able to do something on the afternoon of the 12th.
  5. jedichic07 Jedi Master

star 4
    I did not even think of the costuming aspect..I was thinking FOOD!
  6. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    Let's be realistic folks. A costuming workshop should not be on the same day as a NAD cookout. The workshop is for folks who want to work on costumes and or props. A cookout at the same time will be a distraction. Those who need help with these projects will want to maximize their time with those who can offer assistance and advice.

If Glen wants to volunteer his place for both a cookout and a workshop, rock on. I just think think that one will interfere with the other and should be on separate dates.
  7. Skywalker2584 Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's what Scruff and Shannon have put much better than I could. In emphasizing the distraction. Maybe we should just start talking times first and see where might be open during the trimeframe we are looking to host at.

I Think it would be good to try sometime in June, cause if anyone wants to do a follow up get together there then is still two months in which there is bound to be another day which we can schedule for. My only problem with June just hurts me a bit which is that is when a group order for my fabric used on my inner tabbards, outer tunic, and obi will be placed. But I have still bring other stuff and discuss stuff that will help like shoulder pleeting etc. I just won't have my actual fabric to work with yet.

But off track off track... does a June meeting sound good to all? I'm still offering my place as a last resort, but I'm an hour south east of Nashville so if anoyone else has a place that is open that doesn't conflict with the BBQ let us know.
  8. obi-TN Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, I won an auction this morning for the CMA Music Festival, so the costuming workshop will have to wait for either the 12th, 25th, or 26th. Preferably one of the later dates, but if someone wants to help me with my helmet on the 12th, that's great.
  9. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Glenn, at 4:27 PM last night you posted this:
    Well, I won an auction this morning for the CMA Music Festival, so the costuming workshop will have to wait for either the 12th, 25th, or 26th.

But at 9:01 PM last night you posted this:
    June 11th works best for me as I have no desire to go to Saturday night's CMA concert at the coliseum, but I could probably manage almost as well on the 12th.

So which is it? Are you in or out for 6/11?
  10. obi-TN Jedi Knight

star 2
    What I'm saying is that I don't care about going to the CMA concert at the Coliseum on Saturday night (8 pm start); however, I will be at the convention center until 3:30 or so. Thus, we couldn't have a costuming workshop prior to the BBQ, which I had mentioned as a possibility earlier.

Basically, I got the CMA ticket for the concerts at Riverfront Park and the Fan Fair exhibition hall.
  11. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    How much that can be accomplished depends on what exactly we do. A lot of ground can be covered as far as planning.

sewing tips, places to buy material, both local and online, materials needed for various projects

Now for those who actualy have everything they need, then the actual sewing, glueing, etc will require plenty of space and less will likely get done.
  12. Skywalker2584 Jedi Knight

star 1
    There seems to be plenty of interest but no ones laying down a times besides those that interfere with other events. I have a place in mind actually with plenty of space but only if I can get it open and only if it doesn't bother anyone. You see I used to be a janitor/sub teacher's assistant for my church and the 2-4 yr old dayschool and if the church hasn't been sold by thena dn no one is using it we could use the basement I'm sure as lnog as I clean up afterwords. It's spacey has multiple power outlets, it's across from legends golf corse in Franklin off of Franklin rd. But it's jsut a suggestion. I'd understand people not wanting to be there the place was always creepy when empty.

I was thinknig I nothing else we could aim for July 9th where ever we do this cause uit's a ways off e could plan for it and all so far I haven't seen any small cons like adventure con, it's after the 4th long enough so that it shouldn't interfere with folks celebration plans and it's still two months off from Sept. and D*C for those of us trying to ready up costumes for the enxt big con. Any thoughts on these suggestions?
  13. TK-6873 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Am I alone in not being able to care any less about the damn CMA Music Festival or how Glenn's presence at one or the other has absolutely any bearing on whether NAD event happens or not? HMMMMMM?
  14. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, Glen's presence does have a bearing if the NAD event is held at his house........
  15. Skywalker2584 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Back to being constructive and trying to pull this off again does anyone have problems with the date I set forth in my previous post? No midn to a place yet we cans til lsort it out. Let's see if we can settle or attract the attentions of others to post on the matter of finalizing some sort of game plan.
  16. JediAgent Jedi Master

star 3
    Why don't we have the costuming workshop and the BBQ on separate days? Working on props and costumes can be very intensive and one can get easily distracted if we throw a BBQ into the mix. I've seen that happen before and usually nothing gets done.

So why don't we have the BBQ this weekend (at a new location) and hold the costume/prop workshop (at possibly glenns) at a different date? I'd offer my place for the BBQ but there's really not enough room. Maybe we can goto a park and someone could bring a grill? frisbees? kites? sabers? blasters? OK, you get the idea :p

Anyway, what do you guys think about that?

17. obi-TN Jedi Knight

star 2
    I believe we've already agreed to hold the two events separately. The BBQ will be this weekend at my parents' house and the costuming in either two or four weeks with location TBD. I think it's good that we are putting off the costuming since Tambo and jedichic both can't make it this weekend and they are two of the most knowledgeable in this area. Perhaps, those two could let us know which date would work best for them and then we can figure out a place, possibly again at my parents' house. I wonder how hot it might be in the church's basement.
  18. Skywalker2584 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I could check on that it's airconditioned so probably not bad, plus it's got fridge and plenty of long fold out tables. I say basement but really it's justy the downstairs it's on a slant the building so you can enter in from the far side. If everyones kewl with having it there in Franlkin I can start making sure the church and the Korean church that rents for some events isn't using it but then again we'd need a date for me to check for.
  19. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    Just out of curiosity,..which church are you referring to?
  20. jedichic07 Jedi Master

star 4
    Knowledgeable? Thanks..:) *blushes*
    Most of my knowledge consists of knowing good seamstresses and friends to borrow lightsabers from...
  21. Skywalker2584 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Its on Franklin road. 415 Franklin road if I remember right. Faith Lutheran Church. The building is being sold but it's still a while before it's no longer the churches property so if we set a time I'm telling you it might not be much to look at but it'll be adequet for our needs.
  22. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm in. July 9 works for me. By that time I will be thinning the hair on my mask.
  23. jedichic07 Jedi Master

star 4
    *falls over backward* Holy %*$# !!! Matt posted! Well hello there!
    July 9th is Eli's 1st birthday, BTW...so if you all do it that day, have fun! I'll be cleaning up squished cake...
  24. Skywalker2584 Jedi Knight

star 1
    So after speaking with Ryan that looks like there are three people for which the 9th of July sounds good. Is this date okay with everyone else if so I'll start looknig at whether I can score us the building for that afternoon.
  25. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't see a problem with that date.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.