main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Austin,TX Costuming Workshops in Austin

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by jedimelis, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we appear to a have a great number of opportunities to wear costumes this year between the Clone Wars Premiere, Fan Boys Premiere and Fan Days II, that I decided that this is the perfect opportunity to work on making sure everyone who wants a costume has a costume for this year.

People with completed costumes are very welcome to come along and help and start a second or third (yes Kerstin, the umteenth costume for you)!!

Unfortunately, I do not have the best accomodations for this in my apartment, but would be glad to bring my sewing machine and other tools like my leather hole punch to share with others.

We can combine efforts in the purchase of expensive leather, rivets, jedi food pellet pen caps etc, fabric and patterns. (I have a few patterns already).

So, who is with me????

Anyone from neighboring cities is welcome to join us...

2. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Hey, I'm visiting my folks in Round Rock until this Friday, can't offer their place as a meeting spot, but did bring my clone helmet pieces to work on...if there's a get together in the next few days, I'll take you up on that invite [:D]

3. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Just a little info:
    I make Jedi Costumes... I crank out on average 9 or 10 sets a month with 4 or 5 of those including a robe... If you've got folks who want to costume.. (And don't mind being Jedi) who are short in the "fundage" department... I've always got a bit of extra fabric here and there.... I'm kind of swamped right now with Summer Con season... But, if you get a person who wants to
    costume and participate... And you think they will be the sort who actually attends events... Let me know and I can probably help them out. It would just be a basic tunic/tabbard/obi ensemble but, sometimes it's better than nothing..

We've got a fellow in our group making a set of Jango armor for a kid who was a little bit too old for make a wish to help out... Sometimes he's really good with the harder side of costuming... Harder parts not difficulty..

Just throwing the offer out there... I know sometimes there is someone who wants to do it and just needs that little nudge... Usually they wind up upgrading from that first costume and becoming a very active member and great friend...

Sometimes they just take the free costume I made them and sell it on ebay... It doesn't matter to me on way or the other... I just like to sew and I like doing nice things...

Hope you are able to get a good group together for the Clone Wars goodness we are fixing to be attacked with...

And I'll see you in October...

jedimelis: Let me konw if you need help with any prizes this year for your table... and if it wasn't you who organized that this past year... then just igonre this last little bit...

4. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Well you know Strife and I are in, schedules permitting. I have my mom's sewing machine (which she never used), a leather punch, and a few more doodads we collected when initially throwing together my costume. Oh, and somewhere we have discontinued sewing patterns for Star Wars-like outfits...Simplicity, IIRC. Never used them myself since I didn't have a clue how when I got them a few years back.

My first attempt at a Dark Jedi/Generic Sith costume held together for the San Antonio parade, but I know it still needs quite a bit of work (like some sort of under tunic...perhaps a redesigned obi...a proper belt...uppers for my boots and/or shin guards...eventually a mask--as you don't see too many Jedi or Sith with glasses in the Star Wars universe...among other things), but it's passable if I'm wearing my robe. Personally, I'd rather get away from the big bulky robe this time of year and go with something with far more manageable sleeves. We'll see...right now I'm much more concerned with dealing with the small basic stuff first.

Also need to fix up Strife a set of tabards (if not a full costume for a generic Sith). What he has now is for his Vader outfit and really only suitable in cooler weather. Sure they've been fine at cons, but right now I still have the first-aid tent from the parade fresh in my mind.

Nabooty Call: Too bad the timing was off as you'd be more than welcome to join in. :D Heck, if you're still in the area, there's always the midnight release of Clone Wars merchandise at the South Austin Toys-R-Us tonight. ;)

hyperspace_police: A very generous offer. Thank you. :D As you say, sometimes all that is needed is just that little nudge to get someone going. Out of curiosity, you don't happen to have a webpage or anything related to the costumes you've made, do you? Sometimes it's nice to see what others have done when looking for ideas on how to go about putting together your own stuff. :)

5. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Thanks for the offer, had a karate event early Saturday...

Though, since I couldn't sleep, I think those little plastic Hasbro goodies were calling to me...in hindsight, I should have gotten up and joined y'all in civilian garb anyway!

6. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    Very cool. If you don't mind my asking, was it a tournament or something similar? :D

Well, unless you were going there for the Falcon, AT-TE, Clone helmets, and other non-action figure/LEGO odds and ends, you would've been out of luck unless you were literally at the front of the line.

I seriously don't think anyone realized how big a thing this was going to be, especially with the kids. We probably had a turnout of somewhere on the order of 150-200 people. Close to half of those were kids. Several of the AFF stayed outside manning our table when they let the people in 10 at a time. About half the line had been let in when they made the announcement that they had sold out of Clone Wars action figures. And this is supposedly with no one hording figures or anything. That and a slight "issue" with the distribution (or lack of in the end) of the Holo-Grievous figures.

Once the line was all inside, Strife and one or two other members broke down the table while I wandered inside to see if anything was left. The TRU supposedly only had 12 Falcons total for the night. There were still 5 available. They also had one of the new B-wings (which Strife snatched up when he got inside).

No big deal for us. We didn't plan to get anything at the event, anyway. The next day we stopped by Wal-mart and they had a TON of the new figures on an endcap...nearly 1/3 were had the first day foil on them. :p

7. Gen-Li

Gen-Li Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2008
    hey all i am looking for someoen who can assist me with some garb mostly a robe or a grey cloak. my jedi self is a grey jedi from the old republic i also have a costume concept i did up on hero machine if anyone would be interested in helping me to put that together.

8. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    I'd say PM jedimelis.

She's trying to get together a costuming date so we can help each other put together our costumes. :D

Strife and I also know of two Texas-based companies that ship pretty quickly (or at least they did for us) if you don't mind buying pre-made cloaks/robes or shoes/boots. PM me or Strife and we should be able to set you up with the web addresses for them. The robes are good, though if you're picky about seams on the shoulders or can make your own, it's more of a backup plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.