main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Costuming!!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Elewyn, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

I've finally figured out a costume to do for the line, i've decided to do the black corset dress padme outfit from episode 2. I know alot of people have done this one before so i'm sort of just asking for any advice they can offer, good places to get components etc...the main being the corset top...is there a place where its pretty affordable? i've seen ones online but i don't like the fact that it has to ship from the UK and it can get pretty expensive in stores...

anyways, just throwing the question out there! ^_^

2. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    well, if you want to make one, I can tell you were to get supplies for corsets from a store in Stratford, and the prices aren't too bad either. Plus shipping within Ontario is not nearly as expensive as shipping overseas.

3. Elewyn

Apr 23, 2002

that would be awesome if i could sew :( sadly i'm peicing it together in whole peices and hopefully geting some stuff made (i have a line on the long velvet skirt and i just need a gauzy overlay made over it so hopefully that won't be too hard).

4. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Have you looked at the corsets from Fredrick's of Hollywood? Shipping shouldn't be too bad from LA.

btw...I got my corset from a shop here in TO, but it was custom made and wasn't cheap.

5. Elewyn

Apr 23, 2002

I'm going to try the corset places downtown tomorrow probably. I also have a line on a skirt if i can have it made..if not my idea is to order a really nice velvet one that should ship quickly and then find a sheer black and white lace fabric and hopefully figure out how to get an overskirt made.

i'll definetely check on the fredricks of hollywood. thanks!! :)

6. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    look around online, there are tons of corset sites, and some have prices in Canadian dollars. It's a lot harder to find materials to MAKE one though, so if you're buying it premade, you should be ok.

7. Elewyn

Apr 23, 2002

Costume update! looks like the costume is a go, ^_^ i have a corset and a skirt being shipped to me, i have to get a lace overskirt made but hopefully it shouldn't be too hard.

any idea where in toronto to get fairly cheap opera length "pleather" gloves?

i'll post pictures when its all completed!

8. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Awsome news!... really coming together now!...

9. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    If you can find the Pleather, I can probably make the gloves.

I can't make them Till I get home, but if i have all your arm measurements, I should be good to go. ^__^

Let me know.

10. Elewyn

Apr 23, 2002

sweet!!! that would be so awesome!!! ^_^ *super big hugs*

11. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

I have a friend that does coursets (sp?) try giving her an email

jess_thorp@hotmail.com

12. Master_Tyvokka

Master_Tyvokka Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    Im gonna be a random sith knight, with my costume fashioned after darth mauls. but slightly different.

13. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    If you haven't already, you may want to check out

The Padawas Guide

I find that its one of the best places to start when making a costume, and there is an entire section (which I linked to) on the Black Corset dress :)

14. Darth-Choda

Darth-Choda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    Has anyone created a costume based on a completely made up character or are most costumes based on characters from the movies/EU?

I'm just trying to get ideas for a costume. So far I'd like to do a Sith Lord but I think I'd like to create a completely new character with my own backstory. Anyone have any similar experiences?

15. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I did a costume based on my character, Shaden Skywalker.

16. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I have been to a SW wedding where the grooms were all Jedi more towards the sith look.

17. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    The costume for my character (Rabellaka) would be VERY difficult to make, since she's a Wookie, and I don't like the fake fur materials that much.

18. Darth-Choda

Apr 6, 2005
    I thing trying to make a Wookie would be an interesting challenge. How much does faux fur cost? If money isn't a problem I think it would be fun to try. Think about it.

19. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    I have Jedi costumes - 3 of them, all movie inspired/based in some form.

The two Handmaidens are definately out of the movies - I took a ton of screen caps for those two. lol.

I'm working on another costume, and it's movie based as well.

The costume that blew up on me ie it's continuously a work in progress and I've essentially given up on it...it got it's inspiration from the movies.

20. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    Well, money IS a problem for me, since most fake fur is about $15.00/m or more, and not the right colour. The thing about Rabellaka is that she's white, and most material is brown or black. I would like to make a wookie costume sometime though, it would definately be a good costume for cool days (but not so great for warm days, like May-September)

21. Darth-Choda

Apr 6, 2005
    Arsinoe, I would like to eventually make a Sith costume but I have absolutly no idea where to start. Did you make yours from scratch or did you buy yours? What did you use for the tunic? It seems many people use Irish Linen. Is that what you used? Isn't that the same as a Martial Arts uniform? Should I just buy one?

I'll keep my eye out for white faux fur.

22. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    Rabellaka, - have you seen this site yet? http://www.rebellegion.com/chewie/chewie.asp

It contains a long discussion how to make a wookie and what kind of hair people tend to use. :)

And yeah, a Wookie costume is VERY expensive, up there with Darth Vader.

Darth-Choda...Yes, I've made my Jedi tunics/robe from scratch. It's taken several tries to get things the way I want them. I have two outfits I like now. One the tunic was made from a cotton/linen blend. The other was made from a linen that was washed and dried on hot - it ended up with the most interesting crinkle. I got this particular material off a woman on an lotr costuming list...she was liquidating some of her stash of fabric.

If you're thinking on something similar to Darth Maul's costume, you can start your research at Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy.

http://www.jedi-academy.com/maul_tips.html

Lots of really good tips there even if you want to do something more customized but still along those lines.

If you're thinking of tinkering the basic Jedi to be a little more Sith like, there are three places to get Jedi costume info:

http://www.padawansguide.com/
    http://www.jedi-academy.com/ep1_kenobi_tips.html
    http://www.rebellegion.com/jedigarb/

I haven't gone looking for people's attempts at other Sith characters yet. I'm trying to avoid EP3 spoilers. ;)

23. Darth-Choda

Apr 6, 2005
    Thanks, these websites are very helpful.

24. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    You're welcome. :)

25. Aina

Aina Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2003
    Ok I'm pretty sure I've got most of my costume worked out, I'm gonna be Bastila from Kights of the Old Republic....or just "Random Jedi" to everyone who has no clue who that is...anyways pretty much all the Jedi wear boots...I don't have boots and I dont want to be spending too much money. What should I do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.