main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Costuming!!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Elewyn, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    when I'm not sleeping or checking the board, I'm sewing. I wish there were more hours in the day....

2. Aina

Aina Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2003
    im still awake and its 1:30 am.....just finished most of my costume....the other part ill be finishing in line to be ready for wednesday (good old fashioned hand sewing)....everything besides the wrist cuffs is sewn and fabric-painted..sure i could have done a better job had i the time but im still amazed i got it done...you all can see it tomorrow or wednesday!

im so glad i have the robe....it will cover my crappy sewing job (I actually only just learned how to use the sewing machine today)

3. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    well, you had the advantage of not having a bobin shatter while you were sewing.... I never did find all the pieces.

4. Pissenlit

Pissenlit Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2001
    They can shatter?? Sounds fun :p

5. Aina

Jun 19, 2003
    wow never had that....though the needle hit a pin dead on and split it clean in half....that was interesting getting the pin out of the fabric :S

6. Pissenlit

Pissenlit Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2001
    They can do that??? When was the first and last time I used a sewing machine? Ah yes, junior high. *SNARF* :D

7. Aina

Jun 19, 2003
    heh well last night was my first time and apparently that can happen...since it did ;)

8. jellicle_jedi73

jellicle_jedi73 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    i have not had the pleasure of a shattered bobbin, however i managed to bend my double needle beyond belief.

I hope no one has been injured in these oddities, never thought we'd need safty gogles to sew :)

9. Aina

Jun 19, 2003
    hmmm well i didnt need them, then again i have glasses so its ok

10. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I have glasses too, but when a needle breaks, flies in all directions, and you don't find all the pieces, you start to think that maybe a plastic shield over your face would be a good idea.

About the bobbin shattering, I have an old sewing machine that uses a different type of bobin. It's the same size as a newer one on the bottom, but almost twice as wide on top. I only have a few, and I only know one place to buy them. I think what happened was that the thread got jammed and the needle hit the bobbin. But not where it was already cracked from that happening before.

11. jellicle_jedi73

jellicle_jedi73 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    sewing machienes are on sale at sears b/c the new models just came out. Just hought i'd share...

they also have a cool needle/thread guide in flyer form that's free.

12. DMZBADGER

DMZBADGER Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2002
    I have bent and snapped many a needle with my industrial machine...but then again when I am sewing through 4 really thick layer..the material sometime tends to bend the needle a bit..enough for it to hit the deck plate and..SNAP!

Yes, yes I also sew..If the girls can't find you handsome..at least they can find you handy.

:)

13. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Thanks Red! ;)

14. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    My dad and my brother both know how to sew... but neither of my sisters do. And neither one of them even wants to learn. Then again, they always ask me or my mom to do their sewing for them.

15. Aina

Jun 19, 2003
    heh next time tell them no! its a much needed skill...my dad knows how to sew...he even knows how to use the sewing machine.....before i did!

16. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I don't mind doing sewing for my dad if he asks, I do a better job. Strangely, both my sisters knit, something I CAN do, but don't, because it gives me a migraine.

17. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    My mom taught me to sew, but oddly enough I'm better at it now than she is. lol So now I'm making her costumes for DragonCon. Big turn around, since she used to make clothes for me when I was little. lol

18. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I still have trouble with zippers, so I try my best to avoid them, or have mom sew them in. It helps that she has a much better sewing machine than I.

I found a new costume I'd like to make though, if I can find a decent picture of it, Padme's dress right at the beginning, when the senators greet Palpatine, and she has the Princess Leia buns ;)

19. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    Mt Mother sews, she made the soft parts of my Dr Evil costume and the hood cape for Garindan. My father sews, he made the black hooded robe I wore in the line. He also apolsterer, he redoes furniture for a hobby. I can sew if I want to but im not very good at it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.