main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ohio Costuming???

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jasconsolojediknight, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasconsolojediknight

jasconsolojediknight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2006
    We talked about this a little last night but I would like some info Jader walker, Moff D you guys seem to know more about costuming then me. I'm thinking of a Dark Jedi hear what I have so far, I have the Simplicity pattern, along with set of black Khakis. You were saying something about not making a V just going up and down what did you mean??? I found a nice set of boots for about 40$ online that looked nice. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

2. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I am interested in this as well. I have been thinking about making a Dark Jedi costume for Halloween this year. My 10 month old son will hoping be wearing the wookie costume I bought him from kbtoys.com. I couldn't pass up the free shipping. lol I have some ideas in mind for the outfit and what kind of sabre to try and make. I know I will need more insight as well since I have never made a costume or a sabre.

3. jasconsolojediknight

Jan 31, 2006
    Another question that I forgot to ask what kind of fabric to use? How do you make the belt???

4. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I'll tell Kim to pop over here and give some pointers as she knows much more about the actual details than I do. You might also want to take a peek at the costuming forums here at TFN. ;)

5. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Sorry. Busy couple of weeks.
    Fabric: Generally the movie used natural fibers like Indian homespun which is a cotton and raw silk. So those would be the most accurate.

If you are planning on going into Rebel Legion or 501st, then your costume has to be a higher grade and more accurate. However, since interest has been stated in the Dark Jedi, don't worry about that since RL and 501st don't recruit those costumes.

If it is just a Halloween costume, cool. Use whatever kind of fabric looks the right color to you and has a good feel. You don't want anthing that you can see through. And likely if it wrinkles horribly in your hand on the bolt, you won't want it.
    Check out Wal-Mart or the Clearance isle at JoAnns. Jedi Material doesn't have to be expensive. I've bought Kieron's cloak material for $1/yd (good because you need 7-8 yds) ;)
    Here is a Rebel Legion thread on material: http://rebellegion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

For Dark Jedi like Anakin, you might want black vinyl tabbards. Get stuff that looks as much like leather as you can.

The Simplicity 4450 pattern that was out with the Jedi on it is quite a good one. It is out of print, but you may be able to find it on e-bay. But it needs some changes.

Basically
    1. The tabbards: Those are the strips of material that drape over the shoulders. The pattern has a curve to them. Don't put the curve in. Just use straight strip of material (and sewn, of course). The tabbards should also be wider--like 6-8" wide when finished.
    2. The Obi (material that goes under the leather belt). Should be a wider band of material and longer than in the pattern. Should be about 3x as wide as the leather belt.
    3. The "collar" or binding around the edge of the tunic: This should be wider. 1-1/2" on the outer tunic and 1" on the inner tunic.
    4. The pattern comes with a dickie (false shirt) pattern. YOu can use this or you can use the regular tunic pattern with some changes. The collar/band should be 1" wide. Don't put the "tuck" into the area where the shoulder and the sleeve come together. Make it long enough to tuck into the pants, but not as long as the outer tunic.
    5. Cloak: Great like it is except make the hood much bigger. If you don't, you won't have the nice gathers in the hood like in the movie. Take the pattern piece, divide it into 4 quadrants and then move them apart. YOu can do this using newspaper as pattern paper. When you think that you have a size you like, cut out the newspaper and drape the "hood" over your head to see if it is deep enough and if it has the sith-like shadow that you would like.
    6. Sleeves: They all tend to be a little small. What I do is take my pattern size and then draw a stright line from the line for my size and then extend it out to the XL size at the end of the sleeve. You could make them flare more if you would like.

One thing that tends to be a little difficult to understand in the instructions is that shoulder tuck on the Tunic. See the edge of the front and back shoulder pattern pieces? See the circles?
    See the sleeve pattern? See the circles? After you sew the body of the tunic to the sleeve, then you match those circles to each other. Sew between the circles. The shoulder seam will then make like a ledge over where the sleeve comes out. Like Obi-Wan's in Epi I.

Here is a thread by Rebel Legion on this pattern:
    http://rebellegion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8400

There are several places online that have tutorials on making Jedi costumes:
    http://www.rebellegion.com/jedigarb/ (one of the best)
    http://www.thejediassembly.com/tutorials.php
    http://www.padawansguide.com/basic.shtml (the other that I used extensively)
    http://home.comcast.net/~jedikai/

Lots of info, I know. I hope it is helpful. Feel free to ask questions, I'll check back more frequently than I have recently.

6. jasconsolojediknight

Jan 31, 2006
    Now Im thing of making a light side jedi but using dark colors. Just other question does the 501's standers mind if you buy thing on line. I not good with my hands and I know nobody in the area other than the fews of us that are into customing that have complete customs. I know thry don't aprove of the customs from starwars .com

7. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    If you're making your own thing, that's fine. However, if your aim is to join one of the groups you'll need to be a little more formal. For example, you couldn't join 501st with a Jedi costume (unless it is 'dark' Anakin). You could join Rebel Legion but your first Jedi costume would need to be pretty standard and stick with earth tones for colors (unless you're doing a face character). Once you are actually a member than you can be a little more experimental but you need to have that formal costume first.

Buying stuff is not a problem. Having a good costume is the main focus.
    Check the boards at Rebellegion.org and/or midwestbase.com and you can get all the advice you need. Thejediassembly.com could also provide useful info.

8. SnubfighterKnight-06

SnubfighterKnight-06 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2007
    Anyone have any idea where I could get the stuff for an X-wing/Y-wing(ROTJ) costume?

9. jasconsolojediknight

Jan 31, 2006
    Yeah you could try the fan focre custom boards or at the party other will be able to help better.

10. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    go to www.rebellegion.com
    That's the best place. You'll likely have PM someone to give you names and contact info.
    Jedi XXL or Hoffman would be people who could help you get started in the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.