main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cosyuming, prop questions

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Be_My_Friend, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Be_My_Friend

Be_My_Friend Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004
    Hey people nice to meet you all, i am new here. the reason i even came is because lately i have had a big fasination with building costumes like the stormtrooper costume. But since i just got in to it i can't find any where to learn how to start making these costumes. any body have any tips or sites i can go to. & what is this vacuumforming?

2. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    I'm certainly no expert in Imperial armor, but take a look at the FAQ, linked at the top, above the forum moderator's name
    Forum FAQ

Vacuum forming is just like it sounds....it's a machine that creates and uses a vacuum to mold the plastic out of which Trooper armor is made.

You might also want to visit the 501st though, at the moment, my attempt to connect is being refused. They ARE the Storm Troopers. Use their website to find the closest "garrison" (club branch) to you and then join THEIR email group and attend meetings. Getting to know them will help you find someone who can help you with this complex and costly costume.

3. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    the 501st site was down last night,it may be up again now.

you can find info on vacuumforming here.
    www.studiocreations.com
    the most detailed site around!

if youve never heard of vacuumforming and you have zero experience building stuff then i wouldnt recommend starting off trying to make trooper armor.make some other projects and get some experience.
    also,find the local garrison of the 501st near you and contact them.go to an event and meet them.they can help you alot.

good luck

skip

4. StormLeader

StormLeader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    The others are quite right check out our website at www.501st.com - its up now. Please contact your local 501st Garrison representative. We love to help new recruits making that first armor purchase and can assist you on the often time consuming but rewarding assembly process and can help steer you clear of the rip-off artists out there. I don't suggest you begin vacu-forming your own armor as the costs involved could be more than buying a kit as you will need to sculpt your own molds, build the vacu-form table and pull your own plastic. Many trial and error attempts will be necessary and many experienced vacu-formers have problems with the occasional bad pull. So keep that in mind. If you are looking to join the 501st please look on our website for the list of requirements - mainly you will need a "movie quality" costume and the costs for an ABS stormtrooper kit many of us use begins around $525.00 on up. You will need a black body suit of some type usually $80.00 + plus gloves $8.00 on up. Boots will run approx $80.00-125.00. Blaster's on Ebay run from $29.00 on up. You'll need some paint as well. Plus if you are thinking about sandtrooper then figure on a Backpack kit $250 on up as well as Lewis Gun or other large rifle kit $100.00 on up and a Pauldron will run around $30. As you can see its an expensive costume just to aquire the parts let alone the time to assemble and mod the armor for a good fit. You will need help in assembling the armor as you get to the fitting stage of assembly so keep that in mind as well. I hope that this helps a bit and hasn't discouraged you but you need to know the facts about what you are thinking about getting into. While expensive I find it a very rewarding experience especially when visitng kids in a hospital and their eyes light up as they get to meet a "real" stormtrooper and have their picture taken.

Jim Marshall
    501st Stormtrooper TK-6411
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.