main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Couch Potatoes Discuss TV Here Part Deux

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Why can't Sci-fi leave well enough alone? Why do they have to take a beloved tv show or franchise, strip the character names, and slap them on some incomprehensible, convoluted, all-flash and no substance piece of crap?

Starbuck and Boomer are men, Cylons are robots, Baltar is a bumbling puppet for evil, Flash Gordon is a football player turned outer space hero, and Jaime Summers is a sweet, intelligent, woman who uses her bionic implants to stop inept bumbling crooks.

I can't decide which is worse, watching these mangled shows with little to no magic of what made the original shows great, or lame reality shows like Dancing with the Biggest Survival Modeling Big Brother Hating Wife Swappers?!?!?! [face_sick]

2. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Why you, you, Starbuck hater! (I'd put a funny face here so you know I'm joking, but, they're not available on my computer today. So, imagine a funny face that shows I'm kidding.)

3. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    BIG VIRTUAL HUG, JAY!!! I'm right there with you. And that's "overacting chew-up-the-scenery bumbling puppet" to you buddy! I mean, man, when you had Lorne Greene and John Colicos, or Lorne Greene and *any* guest actor, in the same scene, it was like, "all right, real acting!" for us. We watch the DVD set often, we have our own drinking game for each episode. And "originally originally" Flash Gordon was supposed to be a polo player waaaaay back when, but it was felt "unrelatable" and they changed it. Horse haters!

Mary-SPJ

4. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    Um, "Family Guy: Blue Harvest" dear...when Chris Skywalker comes to rescue Princess Lois...

Mary-SPJ

5. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    Oh, I haven't watched it, yet. I have this project in mind, a VHS tape called "Star Wars is Everywhere." Hmn, I wonder where I got that from. Anyhow, Robot Chicken's Star Wars Special, Family Guy's Blue Harvest & a couple of Star Wars Specials are going to be the main parts of the tape. So, I haven't watched Blue Harvest, yet, or finished watching the House episode that starts out with a Star Wars reference.

So, that's why I didn't get it.

6. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    CBM, I think Sylar still got to her because Ando was still in Texas. I guess if Sylar learns things quickly then it's safe to assume that he did get her powers.

Sylar had a copy of Dr. Suresh's map. I think that's how he finds people.

I think Sylar's going to kill Alejandro because he's immune to Maya. I think he's going to try to get Maya's powers but won't be able to for some reason.

7. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Man, that Sylar just loves killing. He did NOT have to kill that Jersey dude. He just saw that brick paperweight and his little murder-dar went "beep!"...he just couldn't resist!

What's up with West suddenly going from creepy-ass stalker to trying to be like Clark in Smallville?!?! Do not want. Anyway, Claire's stupid (for liking him and a myriad of other reasons) and I feel a little bad for poor four-eyes. I mean, getting killed (by West?) and then your daughter making out w/him by your mangled body? That's freakin' rough. :/

Ukraine? Ok. At least I won't be able to pick out how bad the accents are! There's *good* in this world, Mr. Frodo!

No more hobo!Nathan makes me very sad. Hobo!Nathan was great! Does mamma Petrelli actually think she won't be killed in jail, or....what? I don't really buy the, "going because otherwise they'll find out what we can do" thing she told Matt Parkman.

More Matt/Mohinder "married couple" scenes, l-o-l.

Didn't we think Molly was seeing Sylar (before this week's ep.) in her nightmares??

Can't wait to see Kensei punch Hiro (guessing Hiro can't resist telling him how in love he is w/Kensei's chica, haha)--was that in last week's commercial?

Oh, and I stayed out of this thread until I'd watched Heroes. It WAS NOT DIFFICULT. I was not spoiled.

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    ES, I applaud you. Okay, Wednesday is plenty of time to catch up.

First of all, I think Sylar killed Jersey guy because Jersey guy was going to rat out the twins and Sylar wants their powers so he can't have Jersey guy blow it for him. I don't think Sylar wants to kill the twins yet because he's not sure why he wasn't able to take chameleon girl's powers and he doesn't want to lose the powers.

Is his name West? I thought it was Wes as in Wesley. Whatever his name is, I like him, maybe because he can fly. That is definitely the power I would want.

I think Hiro is too honorable to take the sword maker's daughter, even if he loves her.

Mohinder and Matt, sitting in a tree... Yes, I totally thought Sylar was the thing of nightmares but I have to admit that when I found out that the missing guy in the picture was Matt's dad then it was totally obvious as was Wes catching Claire.

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I really enjoyed last night's Pushing Daisies. It is still very quirky but funny too. Last night, there was a Chinese guy whose ancestor somehow became an officer in the Civil War and ended up leading some winning battles. The Chinese guy was a great swordsman with this hilarious Southern accent. Lee Pace's character (and the name escapes me right now) while dueling with the Chinese guy attributed his swordfighting skill to the fact that when he was a kid he wanted to be a Jedi. I hope the show lasts.

Gossip Girl was kind of cool too. It feeds my inner high school girl. I was kind of tired and fell asleep during Life so I'll have to catch it later. I watched half of it and remembered thinking, that guy (a suspect) is supposed to be married but he must really be gay and his wife thought he was too but the guy said he was just tired. That kind of made me laugh. Reaper was okay.

According to Yahoo TV, several of my new shows have "staying power" so I hope they will continue.

10. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    I kind of figured Molly was NOT dreaming about Sylar because she stated that the "boogie man" and the "nightmare man" were not the same person in a round about way.

I son't think Wes is a stalker. I think he was completely honest with Claire. He sensed she was "different" and wanted to check it out. I think he would have backed off if he realized he was wrong &/or his feelings weren't returned. I'm not sure that last painting really meant Wes is going to kill Claire's Dad. It may only indicate that he is with Claire, perhaps protecting her, when it happens. Claire is really going to screw things up if she doesn't come clean with both of them soon.

I'm not sure if Mama Petrelli thinks she will be safe in jail or whether she is just ready to die for her cause or something.

Where was Hiro last night??!! I'm also very curious as to how that story line will develop.

The only thing about this season, though: Claire finds a boyfriend with powers, Hiro finds a hero with powers and Micah's cousin has powers. I'm beginning to feel this is too much of a coincidence. But I'm still loving the show, of course.

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I watched the rest of Life yesterday and was not totally disappointed but not completely satisfied either. It's a compelling show but I think they are trying to do too much. I'll watch Bionic Woman and Smallville tonight or tomorrow.

12. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    Has anyone caught 'Dirty, Sexy Money," yet? It didn't interest me until I noticed the star is one of the lead actors from 'Six Feet Under.' (Can't remember his name.) Now, I may have to check it out.

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I watched Viva Laughlin and it was stupid.

Torchwood was very cool. I can't believe they do what they do on that show. Stupid Owen. Gwen kind of reminds me of Rose.

The Bionic Woman seems to be too predictable. It has a very BSG feel to it because of David Eick but it's getting kind of weak.

SR, I'm with you with Flash. It is lame but I enjoy the BSG Razor ads. I guess I could save the 40-45 minutes it takes to watch Flash and just watch online but I don't. I think that's what I'll do from now on.

14. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I got caught up on some of the shows yesterday since I wasn't working.

Heroes still good.
    Flash Gordon still bad.
    Reaper I watched for the first time and caught two episodes. It's ok but I don't think I'll keep watching.
    Torchwood I love it! I like it better than Doctor Who. It makes me have naughty thoughts.
    I didn't see any BW DH but I tend to agree with you.
    I think besides Torchwood though my favorite show on right now is Pushing Daisey's. It is very very well writen. Might me a bit too cute for some but I love it so far.

15. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    Yes, Pushing Daisies maybe a little overly cute. But it's also very funny. Chuck & Journeyman and Moonlight are all enjoyable.

Flash Gordon is so camp! But, now I am addicted.

Adult Swim is running one of those 15 minute shows Sunday night called Lucy, Daughter of the Devil, which I also find kind of clever.

16. JediMia

JediMia Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2006
    Oooh, my favorite new tv show is Moonlight. I really enjoyed last Friday's episode. It left me with a feeling of wanting to watch more... I really recommend this show for all who like Vampires.

VK, I didn't know you liked Moonlight too? That's so cool! What do you think of Mick St. John? Isn't he dreamy? heehee

17. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    Nick St. John and Dr. Mc Dreamy remind me of each other...and they both are.

18. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    SR, I'm so glad you like Pushing Daisies. Like I mentioned before, it's cute and quirky, much like the lead.

I have to admit that because of the BSG slant I'm kind of getting bored with BW. I hope it improves. I really am surprised that they killed Will and gave him stalker like qualities in picking Jamie. I like the idea of it happening by chance. Also, the sister is too whiny but at least we can understand her. I figured the signing and "mumblings" would get old and really difficult after a while.

Torchwood = dirty thoughts. Man!

I can't wait for tonight's Heroes and Chuck, though I'm probably going to miss Chuck because of a meeting. I'll watch it tomorrow night on my DVR.

19. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I still haven't gotten to watch Moonlight like I wanted too.

Last night's Robot Chicken was excellent. It had another SW sketch in it, very very good one too...probably the best Robot Chicken episode in a while.

20. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Damn I missed a new RC. Yeah I admit to watching Flash, it isn't great but I also am watching it for the BS Razor Flashbacks. Is anybody watching 0odessy 5?

21. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Chuck was cute and kind of predictable but there was something lovely about it too. I like that he's getting the hang of being a "spy" and trying to balance his family life with his spy life.

Heroes was cool. Kristen Bell is evil. I wonder who her daddy is. My guess is he's the baldish guy who turns stuff into gold. It would be interesting if he was Matt's dad though. I guess all Matt has to do is get into Molly's brain and snap her out of her condition. I can't wait to see what happens to Hiro in that battle.

22. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    That battle? Can't Hiro just stop time (for a few days, heh) and go around stabbing everyone until there're none left alive?
    I wish more happened to move the plot forward in Heroes. It feels halfway soap-y the way things are going.

23. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    That would be hardly honorable. Yeah, it needs to move forward. Well, we do know that the story arc will be 11 episodes long so we are almost halfway through before they start new stories.

I kind of wonder about the cockroach that was on top of or near Jersey guy after Sylar killed him. Maybe Sylar's powers were transfered to the cockroach and he just needs to eat the roach to get them back.

24. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah, I know. :) It'd just be easiest.

Ewwwww!!! God, though, if ANYone deserves to have to eat roaches, it's Sylar. What a theory, DH!! :D

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    So I saw last night's Reaper today and may I say that while it was interesting it was not factually accurate. Sam and his buddies were in a electrical or pipe corridor, not a sewer. Sewers are circular, not generally box shaped. They can be semi-elliptical also but those are generally brick lined. This corridor was concrete and if it was a sewer it would have been lined with a plastic coating. Secondly, sewers generally do not have numerous pipes running through it - it cuts the capacity of the sewer. Newer, large sewers now have fiber optic conduits running along the soffit (top of the pipe on the inside) but not so many pipes. Thirdly, they banged on a pipe inside the "sewer" that was supposed to be how that attorney's house connection was connected to the sewer. If it was a house connection, you would only see the sewage flowing into the sewer via a hole in the sewer. House connections are connected simply to the side or top of the sewer so all you see is the hole. Fourthly, corrugated metal pipes are never used for sewers unless they are lined with a bituminous coating (asphalt or tar). Sewer gases mix with the moisture in the air creating acid which eats away at metal (that's why concrete pipes are lined with plastic). Fifthly, a pipe that big would be running at least a third or half full because that's what it's designed to do. Large diameter sewers are generally collector sewers and take sewage from lots of sewers to convey it to the treatment plant. Those guys would have been swept away with the current. Sixthly, they would not have been able to climb down a maintenance hole like that to get to one because maintenance holes do not have steps leading down. You need a ladder. If steps are built in they are removed so no one tries to use them. They corrode over time and are unsafe but you just don't know when they will be totally unsafe. Lastly, even if they just jumped down they would have had to jump at least 10 feet (assuming it was constructed by conventional open trench methods) to at least 30 feet (assuming it was constructed by tunneling methods). Sewers that big are generally very deep. Other than that, it was fine. I don't like Greg. And I wonder what was on the page Sam's father burned.

Pushing Daisies was cute. Finally Olive has grown a heart and I'm glad. I would have been sad if Chuck was revealed to her aunts, especially now that they are getting out. I can't imagine how Pidge could have flown with that bejeweled wing. It did appear that Chuck and Ned were wearing tyvex suits which are plastic but semi-porous. Shouldn't Ned's powers have been able to transfer through that? What they need is what Leslie Nielson and Priscilla Presley had in the first Naked Gun movie. I heard it was picked up for the whole season which makes me happy.

I continue to like Gossip Girl despite my better senses telling me it's kind of silly. Tonight's was still kind of predictable but kind of cool too. I liked some of the twists. That was funny. I hope they don't forget about the diamond bracelet next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.