LA, CA Couch Potatoes Discuss TV Here

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Skyryder, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok I'm starting a new topic because we reached our limit on the other one.

First off JR. I have Monday's 24 on Tivo that I can record to DVD for you.
    Second, DH I need to have those trading cards especially Ben Browder, Jamie Bamber, Michael Shanks, and Joe Flanigan. I guess I will be getting to the store for some TV Guides.
  2. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you an SG1 fan?

I kinda got the impression you weren't.

I have been watching season 8 on DVD, its really good. I hear season 9 hasn't been the best.

I love that show.
  3. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks SR!!! I would really appreciate it!! I'll buy you a drink at Islands.. you and DB for doing this.
  4. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, I'm a SG1 fan. I have most of the season's on DVD. I'm just missing 4,5 and 8. Now that it is a Sony show I'll pick them up with my discount.

I have enjoyed this season just as much as the others. But I'm a fan of Ben's so I'll watch and love anything he is in.

Oh and I forgot to mention my BSG opinion. I was upset the way they killed off Kane sp?. I thought they should have kept her around longer. I think there was much more they could have done with her character. Oh well.
  5. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, it kinda sucks the way she was killed off.

Though I think there is already enough conflict in the show, and with her dead they can maybe go off and find those human ships she left behind adding to the human total surivors.

She needed to die. I like the way the President gave Com. Adama a promotion. Long over due by the way.

Oh and Amanda Tapping is awesome. She is almost 40 and looks amazing...I mean perfect, plus after having a baby. Her husband is truely lucky.
  6. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah Yeah sure Amanda Tapping is hot for her age.

Actually she is and she is very graceful. I liked her last year at Comic Con. Very nice.

OH and did anyone catch the Golden Globes last night? Brokeback Mountain won!
  7. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    For her age?!

She is just hot...hotter then most women half her age.

8. Elensara Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with JT. She's spunky, and has a good sense of humor.

Except for the first several minutes of 24, which I missed because we were coming home from my grandparents' in Wisconsin, nothing too much has happened. I can't believe *that* stuff happened! It was very very sad when the first commercial break I saw had an Allstate commercial right off the bat. Now that we're spoiled by two hours a night two nights in a row, it's time for only one hour a week, grr. I still find Chloe annoying, but grudgingly admit she's cool. Edgar, on the other hand, is just annoying. And LOL at Sean Astin!!! Heeheehee, ah, that was funny just seeing him walking around CTU. The president is still retarded. Who voted for *him*?! Palmer kicks his ass in every circumstance. I like how 24 always has to have the annoying kid. First it was Kim, then that stupid kid last year (what was his name? the son of the terrorist dude, dating the white chick behind his parents' backs? he turned out ok, but was still annoying.), now it's Derek. Also, anyone else think it's hilarious that Jack's fake name was Frank? I'm laughing right now. "Frank," lol.
  9. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What is it with this show and kids? I was watching with my roommate (who has never seen 24 until that night) and I stoped it when Jack told the mom and son to go to this address. I told the roommie to pay attention here because though it may seem like a simple task kids in this show always screw things up. And then sure enough the boy gets out of the car and runs in the airport.

Also did anyone catch how quick they got to the Ontario airport. That place is forever away.
  10. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    SR, I really only want the Jamie one so if you want the others you are welcomed to them.
  11. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks DH
    I'll go and see if I can find a Ben and a Jamie for myself.
  12. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think between Ben and Joe (Mitchell), I'd rather have Joe. It goes without saying that I would rather have Jamie over all of them.

I'm going to check out "Love Monkey", actually, I'm going to tape it. It stars Tom Cavanaugh who I thought was just so adorably cool in "Ed". It sounds very similar to "Ed" also.

Kane had to die though I did not like the fact that Gina killed her. How did they know that she had killed Kane any way? Was there a camera in Kane's quarters? Did Gina leave fingerprints? How did they figure that out? Ron Moore, in his podcast, said he did not want to go into how Gina got off Pegasus because he thought it would be boring technobabble. Someone wrote into "The CIC" and said the reason Adama might have told Starbuck to shoot Kane in the head was because he knew that someone could live through a shot to the stomach. Rather insightful when you think about it.
  13. chibiangi Force Ghost

star 4
    When I first saw Astin all I could think of was "filthy little hobbitses" Poor guy.
  14. Elensara Jedi Master

star 4
    I've never driven out to Ontario Airport, and I didn't notice that. :)
    LAST year, however, at one point they were right by my house (in the show at least)!!! They were just over two blocks away...it was really exciting.

Why can't I remember the kid-from-last-year's name? Rashad, Afsheen, Toulousse? Lol, nope, not even close. Which year had the Salazars...second? It was hilarious how one guy said "Ramon". Oooo, I remembered the terrorist guy's name--Marwan!
  15. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I think they assumed she killed Kane since she killed the marine and took his weapon and then disappeared.

They filmed some of the first season of 24 in Griffith Park. The scene where his wife gets abducted.
  16. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I thought the marine was only knocked out. I did not think he died. Is it funny to anyone else that Gina would not kill herself because suicide is a sin and yet was willing to kill Kane despite the fact that murder is also a sin? Did I miss something there? Did Baltar really mean to say he loved Gina or is he just trying to "get" her? How is he going to keep her hidden when people keep walking into his lab all the time?

I finally watched last week's "Smallville". I thought it was lame and incredibly predictable. I hope this week's will be better. I'll watch "Love Monkey" later tonight, I hope. New "Lost" tonight.
  17. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    24 is an awesome show, but yeah.. sometime the travel times seem really unrealistic, considering it's LA. I mean Chloe went from her apartment, which apparently is close to downtown, to some oil field out in the Valley, then to the westside where Palmer was shot, then back to CTU in a matter of a couple of hours, all this happens during morning rush-hour traffic. It takes me almost an hour just to get to work at 6:30.
  18. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Someone over at LU.n posted what the Cylon names mean in terms of the Bible. It was pretty interesting. I did not catch that they were all biblical in some way.

I wish I knew those LA short cuts like the cast of 24.

Love Monkey is a Sony show so I hope you like it DH. My boss said it was pretty good. I don't think I'll add it to my list of shows to watch as I just can't add anymore.

Last night I went to add The Book of Daniel and my tivo said I would have to change my recording settings of my season passes or I wouldn't have room on the disk.
  19. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm watching Desperate Housewives now. I'm on episode 2. It's ok. Scandalous!
  20. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd be curious to see how the cylon names relate to the bible. Can you post a link?
  21. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Aaron (the media guy from miniseries): From the Hebrew name Aharon which is most likely of unknown Egyptian origin. Other theories claim a Hebrew derivation, and suggest meanings such as "high mountain" or "exalted". In the Old Testament Aaron was the older brother of Moses and the first high priest of the Israelites

Doral: I can't finad any references to the name but know two people (father and son) named Doral.

Sharon: From an Old Testament place name meaning "plain" in Hebrew, referring to a fertile plain near the coast of Israel. This is also the name of a type of flowering shrub, the rose of Sharon

Leoben (The cylon from Ragnorr Anchorage and the cylon Starbuck interrogated) : Derived from Hebrew laban meaning "white". In the Old Testament this is the name of the father of Rachel and Leah. (I assume)

Simon (the doctor from Caprica): From the Greek form of the Hebrew name Shim'on which meant "hearkening" or "listening". The New Testament presents Simon, also known as Peter (a name given to him by Jesus), as the most important of the apostles. This is also the name of several other characters in the Bible, including the man who carried the cross for Jesus.

D'anna (the reporter): I assuming French of Anna Anna: Latinate form of HANNAH. It appears briefly in the New Testament belonging to a prophetess who recognized Jesus as the Messiah.

Shelley (Galactica Six): From a surname which was originally derived from a place name meaning "clearing on a bank" in Old English

Gina (Pegasus' Six) Dervived from Luigina Italian Feminine from of Ludwig: From the Germanic name Hludwig which meant "famous warrior", composed of the elements hlud "fame" and wig "warrior". This was the name of three Merovingian kings of the Franks; The Merovingians were said to be of the lineage of Christ.

Wikipedia wrote:
    The name 'Gina' (given to Number Six's counterpart aboard the Battlestar Pegasus) is a jab at some fans of the original series who proclaimed the remake to be 'GINO' - Galactica In Name Only.

Save for Shelley, who's "godfrey," they all have names with biblical references.
  22. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, SR!

Okay, so I rewatched last week's episode and the guy with the gold tooth pushed Eko out, he wasn't "saving" him.

Tonight's episode was really interesting. I guess Michael's gone now too. Was he lured away by the others? Did one of the others type the messages to Michael? Poor Jack. Somehow I knew Sarah was not being faithful. I guess he's going to start chasing after Ana Lucia. Crazy. And it looks like next week Hurley's going to say that Libby looks familiar. I wonder why.

I also watched "Love Monkey". Wow! It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. The wow was for the surprise ending. One of Tom's friends is secretly gay. He's pretending he just got out of a long relationship so he's not ready to date but he's also pretending to date Tom's best girl friend. He was the good looking one too. I had to watch that part twice to make sure I saw what I saw. It's very much like "Ed" but in "Ed", Tom Cavanaugh was chasing after Julie Bowen. Now, Tom doesn't really know what he wants. Good music though.
  23. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh, and the Museum of Television and Radio will be running their little talks with the creators/stars of shows. One of the shows is BSG. I'm seriously thinking of joining so I can get tickets. I think they will be on a Friday night (March 3rd, I think). Who wants to go?
  24. Darth-Bubba Jedi Master

star 4
    LOST, LOST, LOST... did anyone think last nights Episode was one of the most important ever?

I thought it rocked! Zeek!
  25. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I haven't seen last night's Lost yet. I got home from the gym at 9:30 and watched the last part of Monday's 24. Then my cousin called me from Texas and I had to talk to her so I didn't have time.

I'll watch it tonight.

Also, I'm very upset that Fox has moved Bones from Tuesday to Wednesdays up against Lost. Now I'll have to record Bones on video.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.