main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Couch Potatoes Discuss TV Here

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Skyryder, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    they have never been profitable, still in the red.

You left at a good time

04 03 02
    Total Net Income (94.4) (577.4) (6,423.1)
    Net Profit Margin -- -- --

2. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Well, I realize I'm still stuck in the late 80's, so I should get a DVR also. If I get just a regular DVD recorder, I can use it like a VCR to record tv shows?

3. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Yeah, it will have a built in hard drive, like a tivo. You can then choose to burn the show to a DVD if you want.

4. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    If you don't have DirectTV like D-B get the Tivo player. $150 at BestBuy. $12 per month for the service, or you could pay $300 for a lifetime subscription. I love Tivo. Changed my life.

5. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I still have last week's episode on my DVR (assuming it's still there) and if I can figure out how to burn it onto a DVD I'll make a copy for you. Of course I still have to wait for my power to come back.

Can someone record "Love Monkey" for me? I'm not sure my power is ever coming back.

Go Steelers!

6. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    My dad chose HD over Tivo. I'm still bitter.

7. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    OK, WB and UPN merge on channel 5. So what will become of channel 13?

NEW YORK - Two small, struggling television networks, UPN and WB, will merge to form a new network called The CW, executives from the companies that own them said Tuesday.

The announcement was made by executives from CBS Corp., which owns UPN, and Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc., which owns WB.

Both UPN and WB had struggled to compete against larger rivals in the broadcast TV business, including Walt Disney Co.'s ABC, News Corp.'s Fox, General Electric Co.'s NBC and CBS Corp.'s CBS.

The new network will launch in the fall, the executives said, and both UPN and WB will shut down. It will be a 50-50 partnership between Warner Bros. and CBS, and the network will be carried on stations owned by the Tribune Co., which is a minority owner of the WB network.

Among the Tribune's TV stations that will join the new network are its flagship WGN in Chicago as well as WPIX in New York, and KTLA in Los Angeles.

Leslie Moonves, chief executive of CBS Corp., said the new network will air 30 hours of programming seven days a week aimed in part at young audiences.

Barry Meyer, the head of Warner Bros., said the network would be run by the current executives of UPN and WB.

8. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    DH, even though it is Sony, I won't be watching Love Monkey sorry. I just don't have an interest in it.

Sorry I have already erased the BSG from Friday.

I have a Tivo unit that can burn dvds. It has a smaller hard drive but the trade off is good I think.

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    UPN lost my interest when they stopped running Star Trek shows but what about my Smallville?

SR, won't you be a bud and tape it for me any way? I have to see if I can burn DVDs on our model. I've never read that far into our instruction manual.

Go Steelers!

10. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Bummer about the WB & UPN. There's a whole list of shows I watch (or used to watch) on those two channels that I know the bigger networks will never give a chance.

Vari

11. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    DH, I recorded Love Monkey for you. The only problems is that the quality won't be 100% because I'm currently not receiving a good signal with channels 2-13. Adelphia is working on the problem.

****Update*****

For any of you who are interested, The Museum of Television and Radio is doing a Q&A with the cast of Battlestar Galatica on March 3rd at the Directors Guild on Sunset. Tickets are $25 I believe. More information can be found at their website www.mtr.org.

March 3 | Friday | 7:00 p.m.
    Battlestar Galactica

In Person:
    Jamie Bamber
    James Callis
    David Eick

Tricia Helfer
    Mary McDonnell
    Ronald D. Moore

Edward James Olmos
    Grace Park
    Katee Sackhoff

12. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Yesm my adopted step daughter Smita has the same issue. Adelphia is down in SHerman Oaks today

13. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Adopted step daughter?

Ok.. I'm Hasketting because I'm bored.

Anyone else watching 24? That's the only show I'm watching. Well, I missed Monday's episode. We were shopping for bathroom sinks. Life is grand.

14. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Well had I known you were going to miss Monday's show I would have recorded that one for you too.

I watch it. What would you like to discuss? I want to kill the new president. He is an idiot, but I like his wife. Jean Smart has come a long way since the dumb one on DW.

15. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    darn JR, you miss more 24's than I can shake a dead cat at. Can't you set your VCR like other old people do?

ha ha. Scott and I can no longer save you now....

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Thanks for recording it, SR and thanks for the update. I wanna go on BSG night. Anyone else wanna go with me?

Oh, and new "Lost" tonight. It's a Charlie episode.

Go Steelers!

17. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    I successfully taped Monday's 24, I started to watch it when I got home this evening (after an hour and a half commute through the worse traffic), but I fell asleep. Oh well. I need the Cliff Notes version so I would at least know what's going on.

18. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    How can you fall asleep during 24? Weirdo. :p

SR, DH already posted about that event. I want to go to the House one.

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I think SR was just doing an update to my original post with info on the BSG forum. Seriously, does anyone want to go to the BSG one? I'll try to get tickets.

Go Steelers!

20. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    My carpool buddy who is a member will try and get us both a ticket today. So if she can then I'm going.

I didn't like Lost last night. Why, because I'm not a big Charlie fan. He was acting too strange.

21. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    SR, can I go with you and your carpool buddy? I'd love to be able to sit with someone I know.

Go Steelers!

22. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    I would like to go but not sure if I can. :(

23. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Sorry DH. She bought the tickets for her friends because she is member and all and she was limited to just four. I think they are general admission though so we could still sit together.

24. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, I'll try to get a ticket for myself then. Thanks any way, SR.

Last night's Smallville was so sad. :_| I feel bad for Clark. Is it me or has Tom Welling just gotten better looking with age? =P~

Go Steelers!

25. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Yes, Lost was weird. Not the best one.
    Invasion was kind of cool. Surprising defiitely.

My Name is Earl and Office are still the best (funniest) two shows on, at present, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.