LA, CA Couch Potatoes of the World Unite! TV part III

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarthHaskett, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    It's my understanding that Jericho was previously cancelled and is back due to popular demand, a lot of fans writing in and all. So, maybe they think a more soap opery feeling will boost the ratings.

Oh, and I know it was only on for one previous year. But, to the best of my recollection, I believe the network split that into a Fall and Spring season (with more than the usual holiday break).
  2. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    It doesn't really matter much what the break is, I mean if you film 22 episodes of a show (which has become a standard number for a season, despite something like 24 offering 24 episodes) and you have 52 weeks, even with summer break you're going to have gaps in there. I have no idea why summer is ignored by the major networks. I always watched more TV during the summer as a kid and teenager than any other time. What a stupid decision. Not everyone goes outside and plays 12 hours a day, other people either 1) Don't have anything to do because they're in school and summer is freedom, or 2) Work during the summer just like any other time of the year and want good TV to watch. Seriously, idiots.

As for Jericho, I've never seen it. It seems like it would be good. I just ordered Season One. I guess my support of the DVD probably can't save it at this point, haha, but oh well I tried ;) I saw the entries and the first two episodes of Jericho's short seven-episode Season Two have received the worst ratings of the show so far, which is kind of surprising to me after it came back and all. It's a great story about how it was renewed. It's too bad so many really good shows just don't last. It's not all about quality. Usually I think audiences with TV are pretty fair and the cream does rise to the top, but not always. Dead Like Me was canceled after two seasons, one of the best shows I've ever seen, but probably the dark humor was above most people's heads even on Showtime. Then Arrested Development, one of the best comedy shows on TV in the last 10 years, 3 seasons. Really random. There are a lot of odd examples of shows not lasting as long as they should.

Ratings are important to a network but sometimes I don't understand the economics of their industry. There must be something I don't get. Being in the film industry, they have a pipeline to make a lot more money than I think they are making. I mean what sense does it make to cancel a TV show with a die-hard following? It cost $1.2 million per episode of The X-Files. Let's say for the sake of argument it's $2 million for each episode of Jericho. First, cut the budget and continue making it. It can survive on 75% of the budget whatever that may be. It's always possible to write a bit cheaper. Second, if you have a die-hard fan base you should have no problem selling 500,000 copies of each season on DVD, and if they are die-hard just mark up the price a bit, $45 instead of $35. You end up with, what, about $25 million? Actual profit should still be $10-12 million, DVDs are cheap to make and retailers don't take that big of a cut from a major studio. Now you sell secondary rights to The Sci-Fi channel in this case (they already did that), you have your own ratings on your network (play it at off-hours if necessary, how could new episodes of any good show be worse than re-runs of garbage during the summer?), and you have possible merchandising. All of that should easily be enough to recoup production costs and make a profit.

The problem is the networks are not satisfied with mediocre profits and they have a basic way of operating they've done forever -- look for major hits. If a show isn't a major hit get rid of it and try something else in that time slot. I just don't understand sometimes why shows with solid but not spectacular ratings can't just be moved to off-seasons. Surely many TV viewers (and die-hard fans of those shows) would rather see new episodes of a good series than re-runs of tired old shows.
  3. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    JT, I agree that introducing the virus seems kind of odd except that it was a way to bring that girl from J&R into the group and Esai Morales's character too. Otherwise, I don't know where they are going. They are introducing too many people and there's just not enough story line to go around.
  4. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm recording the Jericho episodes but haven't watched yet. I'm about done with tv. With commercials, cancelling shows half way through, and strikes it's just turned me off. If ever a good show comes around and there is a lot of buzz behind it I'll just rent the dvd after the fact.

I did watch that silly American Idol again the other night and just about cried when that young guy David sang Imagine. It was really really good.
  5. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I always just buy the DVDs, I can't really understand the idea of watching a TV show while it plays on TV. I mean most shows are between 40 and 42 minutes long in a 60 minute time slot, or 22 minutes out of 30. That's waaaay too much wasted time on commercials. If I watch 50 seasons of TV shows in a year, that's let's say an average of 12 hours of entertainment per season (some longer, some shorter, depending on whether they're 30 or 60 minute episodes), that's 600 hours I've spent watching TV episodes that would take you 856 hours to watch on TV, so you've effectively wasted 256 hours of your life watching commercials in just one year, or 16 waking days.
  6. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    My eyes are burning from reading so much.:oops:

Not many shows I'm watching right now. And I forgot to tape Top Model the other night...shudder.
  7. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've been watching the watered down version of The Tudors. I watched the first two ages ago and now am catching up with the rest. It's a really good series.
  8. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Last night was great -- I was praying for Chris but Rami's were interesting too. But dude, human hair!!! Extensions or no, it looked pretty cool. Tim Gunn's reactions in Chris' studio when he saw his "hairpieces" for the first time were classic. ARGH I HATE JILLIAN!!! She's so passive-aggressive speaking...no coincidence I guess that when her segment was on, our cat made kind of a fake-out throw-up-hairball noise. So he hates her too, good boy.

And Chris's friend's over-the-top Roccoco place, holy cow!!!!!! That place was decorated to within an inch of its life! And they built-in all that stuff! They must thank heavens for rent control every day.

Anyway all four of them got to show at Bryant Park because of the whole red-herring thing, and as I've heard, Kit also got to (because of the strike and all that, they needed more than just one red-H). I haven't even cheated and looked at the Getty Images of the shows yet, which I normally would have done by now.

Interesting that this year they didn't get to go on the usual field trip to some other country. May not be a money issue -- if contestants have passport or visa problems, it's a no go.

Mary-SPJ
  9. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lost was awesome last night. Desmond-centric episodes are always so sweet. I hope he and Penny get together in the end.
  10. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    The end of last night's Lost was kind of predictable, but the not the rest of the episode. I never expected Desmond's new psychic ability to be so life threatening.
  11. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Has anyone else seen 'Li'l Bush' on Comedy Central, usually after South Park? I landed on it by accident while desperately running channels for any incarnation of L&O (long-term addiction...) or other alphabet-soup crime show, and was slightly amused, a few good jokes but mostly meh. Think of it as a "present-USA-administration babies" cartoon. Li'l Cheney cracks me up.

Mary-SPJ
  12. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it was the best episode in a long long time.

I really like Desmond as a character and some of the oddness of the island and the survivors situations were explained.
  13. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    I really like Desmond, too. He looked very cute with short hair, although he looks good with long hair, too.

I also watched last week's Universe, Unexplained Mysteries. One of the theories they covered was that we are actually in a binary solar system with a red or brown dwarf star in an eliptical orbit with our sun. Supposedly this "Nemesis" comes around every 26 million years and causes mass extinctions, like the Permian & Dinosaurs. But, it was also stated that the Dinosaur extinction was 65 million years ago. So, are there any natural history buffs who would like to explain what happened 39 million years ago? (They also stated that most scientists don't go along with this theory, maybe that's one reason why.)
  14. GFORCE13 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well did everybody enjoy the Season Finale of Terminator as much as I did, they pulled out the Man in Black and I knew it would end well. Also good and bad news for any Bionic Woman Fans, the Bad it is cancelled and will not return. The Good Amazon just annouced the only Season will be released on DVD.
  15. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    GF, I finally got a chance to watch Sarah Connor Chronicles season finale last night before going to work out. Yes, ditto, very exciting!

The guy who set the car bomb was the real Sarkassian, wasn't he?
  16. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4

Yes Terminator was great!

it is my new favorite show
  17. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    Has anyone checked out the new program New Amsterdam? For anyone who likes Blood Ties, Moonlight or Highlander or Forever Knight, you might enjoy this one, too.
  18. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    We watched both the pilot and the first episode -- the regular episode was better because it had more relevant flashbacks in time. I had heard that the pilot originally had more flashback/period costume material but they cut it apparently because someone didn't think it was so important. Hum, if that's true. A balance of the present and past is better. We were totally on "oh look, it's Highlander" mode throughout the pilot. But it was pretty interesting.

Looking forward to new season of Gene Simmons' Family Jewels tonight on A&E, that show cracks us up. I also just found out today I won the tvgasm.com contest last week for a GSFJ collectibles pack, by being one of two people drawn from those who correctly emailed-in the purported length of his tongue. Cherie is old-school KISS Army and would probably have killed me if I'd messed that up.

Mary-SPJ
  19. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    Top Chef Chicago started on Wednesday. So far it's very good, but whether or not it can do better than the spectacular season 3 I do not know.

My dad got me into watching Top Chef at the end of season 2, and I am now a proud fan.:)
  20. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hopefully after tonight I won't have to hear anymore wanton destruction of Lennon/McCartney & Beatles songs on A.I. I'm still picking up dead brain cells from last night.

Mary-SPJ
  21. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    The Tudors season premiere on Showtime last night = arrrghllllll (Homer Simpson mmmmdonut-drool...) Peter O'Toole looks FANTASTIC.

And of course...tomorrow night...Hell's Kitchen!!!! Nothing makes me happier than to prepare a sumptuous dinner (then taunt at 'diners' on-screen who are left forever wanting) and listen to G-Ram yelling at someone in Morse Code.

22. GFORCE13 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well there is only one show I am waiting for BSG Season 4.0 this Friday 22:00hrs on Sci-Fi, finally after a year the waiting is over.[face_dancing]
  23. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll watch it, but after that I'm off tv for ever. I closed up my av cabinet last month and haven't turned on my tv since.
  24. CountDuku3126 Jedi Knight

star 1
    SR why is that?
  25. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    Has anyone got any theories as to who the last cylon is?

I think I've narrowed it down to Adama, Rosilyn, Baltar or Starbuck. But there are flaws with all four theories. Also, if Tai is a cylon, but has been a "sleeper" in the colonial fleet for thirty years, does that mean that humanoid cylons age like regular humans?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.