Could a person possibly be any more wrong about Wedge Antilles?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by CodeName_Targeter, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. CodeName_Targeter Force Ghost

star 5
    Read Here

Alright, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I needed to post this somewhere. This guy is claiming that one of the best pilots of the Rebel Alliance is a coward and inferior pilot. I simply cannot believe that someone would say that. He has a whole list of points that "back up his position," but to me, those seem to be extremely forced and to be twisting what happens the way he wants so that he can say what he is saying.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

:Targeter:
  2. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    *Looks at the Link*

There is a cult of Piett????

Yay! I love Piett!!!

*Comes to*

Oh, right.... points...

Targeteer, he's just an Imperial Loyalist trying to put forth his side...

After all, the Empire doesn't really appreciate Wedge too much... ;)
  3. RogueMara Jedi Knight

star 2
    You have got to be kidding me! :eek: :mad: Now that is really reaching...

Leader of Rogue Squadron, brought down Coruscant...COME ON!

To stupified to form anything more coherent than that...lousy Imperial...
  4. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The person's obviously an idiot. None of his points can withstand even the most minute scrutiny.

That's the beauty of the internet - every ******* can have an opinion, and present it.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    WHAT! :eek: Someone REALLY hates Wedge. I don't know why though:confused:
  6. djcati Force Ghost

star 4
    In the Battle of Yavin, Antilles, already a pilot with training and combat experience under his belt, is made subordinate to Luke Skywalker - a teenage farmboy with NO experience with the squadron, NO experience in combat, and NO experience flying an X-Wing starfighter. Obviously Wedge's superiors felt that this boy - whom they had never even seen before, let alone had a chance to evaluate his performance and abilities - was a better pilot and leader than Antilles.

Actually, Wedge was Red Squadron's 2IC, wasn't he? Luke kinda took over the flight when Red Leader died and his own piloting skills were proven during the battle.

...when Skywalker was under attack by a TIE Fighter, he called to Biggs Darklighter for assistance, rather than the much closer Wedge Antilles.

Biggs was his best friend, liekduh.

...Wedge's flying is so bad that the vast majority of the series supposedly inspired by Antilles is devoted to Corran Horn.

Yeah, but, dude: Corran Horn = Gary Stu.

Of course, reading the disclaimer on the main page is also helpful: THOSE WITHOUT A SENSE OF HUMOUR SHOULD NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER.

o_O

(edit: I can speel)
  7. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, I saw that disclaimer too. If they're trying to be funny, they're wrong. If they're trying to be serious, they're really, really wrong. Wedge is awesome.
  8. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
  9. Myri_Antilles Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm still formulating that response... only question is, do I go for "condescending," "irate," "calm," or "sarcastic?" :mad:

May he who dares defame the name of Antilles feel my wrath!

edit: The disclaimer wouldn't open on my computer. And I have a sense of humor. But he doesn't sound like he's joking. If he was joking, I'd hope he could at least make sense...
  10. RogueMara Jedi Knight

star 2
    sense of humour or no, there are somethings you just don't touch :p
  11. djcati Force Ghost

star 4
    huh.... I actually do find it kinda funny... XD; Oh well.

actually, the whole site's just kinda satirical. I love it. XD *bookmarks*
  12. CodeName_Targeter Force Ghost

star 5
    The disclaimed did not open on my comptuer either.

But the part about Wraith Squadron really really ticked me off. Grrrr...

~Jenn

EDIT: I didn't get there via the main page. I was looking up information on the starfigher pilots at Endor and that came up.
  13. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    dj...
    "Yeah, but, dude: Corran Horn = Gary Stu."

So true. Stackpole mastered the art of the bait-and-switch techniques pioneered by Zahn a few years earlier.

"Oh, you were expecting to see Star Wars characters in a Star Wars novel? Sorry, but I hope you like the new ones I created. Because that's all you'll be seeing."
  14. Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Corran = GS, but that doesn't mean MAS is nearly as bad as TZ in that regard.
  15. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    I have a sense of humor, and it didn't sound humorous to me.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    It must be one of those "stupidly funny" things.
  17. Jedi_Master_Gollum Jedi Master

star 2

* Once again, the confidence placed in Wedge by his superiors was shown in the fact that he was left for the VERY LAST group to make an attack on the thermal exhaust port.

So was Luke...

* One of the few surviving pilots of the attack on the first Death Star did not even rank highly enough during the Battle of Hoth to merit a wingman, as evidenced by the fact that Luke Skywalker had to fly cover for him during an attack on an Imperial At-At.

Maybe his wingman had been shot or incapacitated, or was busy elsewhere. In the X-wing novels, it's the best pilots (like Corran) who end up flying solo when there are an odd #, so his lack of a wingman may be an indication of his awesomeness, rather than vice versa.

* Of all the attributes you can ascribe to Antilles, modesty sure isn't one of them. During the Battle of Hoth, Wedge and his gunman manage to down one of the At-At's, which Skywalker commends Wedge for by saying "I see ya Wedge, good work". While Antilles did fly the Snowspeeder, at least some credit goes to his gunner, Wes Janson. Sure, Wedge did say "Good shot, Janson!", but he could have mentioned something to Luke about giving credit where credit is due...

Yes, the middle of a battle is the perfect time to make speeches about "credit."

* When attacking the second Death Star, Antilles surely failed to check his instruments, or perhaps even turn them on. As the fighter wings approached the Death Star, he commented that he got no reading from the Death Star, indicating that he could neither tell if the shield was up or down. If the shield were down, he would get a reading saying that the shield was down. If the shield was up, he would get a reading that the shield was up. In the case where he gets no reading at all, it should surely be self-evident that scans are being jammed, yet he still questioned if that was indeed the case. So either he had no idea whatsoever about combat tactics, or he did not even have his computers switched on, and was merely trying to cover his own incompetence.

He wasn't expecting the Imps to know they were coming--therefore the jamming would be unexpected, as stated directly afterwards by Lando or someone.

* As Antilles took the point leading a group of fighters and the Millennium Falcon into the interior of the Death Star, he completely failed to warn Lando Calrissian that the way ahead was actually too small for the Falcon to fit through, causing the loss of the Falcon's subspace antennae dish.

He was focused on his own flying

* Following the Battle of Endor, Antilles took to marking his X-Wing with the symbols of two Death Stars, in addition to all the TIE craft he had destroyed. In reality, he deserved neither of these kill marks. The kill shot on the first Death Star belongs to Luke Skywalker - Antilles caused little to no damage on the Death Star itself. The kill mark for the second Death Star rightly belongs to Lando Calrissian. Antille's shot destroyed a power regulation tower, which in itself would not have proved fatal for the battle station. It was Calrissian's shot that triggered the detonation of the main reactor. And even if one were to be lenient on these factors, standard military pilot protocol dictates that only those who have the final kill shot may add the kill to their tally - Antilles can claim neither, so his usurping of the kill marks is blatant slap in the face to the skills of Skywalker and Calrissian. (No wonder Luke only pops up once and Lando never turns up in the X-Wing novels or comics...)

If I recall, the marks were for everyone who SURVIVED the DS runs. I believe it's worded that way in the books.

* In said Rogue Squadron novels, what little flying skill Antilles may have had has already eroded to the point that former police officers and millionaires are racking up more kills. Also, Tycho Celchu seems to be presented as a better pilot, but is not credited for his skill, and Wedge's flying is so bad that the vast majority of the series supposedly inspired by Antilles is devoted to Corran Horn.

Yeah, and the movie
  18. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    [face_laugh]

I found it funny.

But even so, the Imps had whole squadrons killed every battle they went up against him, so they can't say much.
  19. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    I found it funny. Dislike of Wedge and anything fighter pilot aside, our webpage writer could have done a better job.
  20. Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As Antilles took the point leading a group of fighters and the Millennium Falcon into the interior of the Death Star, he completely failed to warn Lando Calrissian that the way ahead was actually too small for the Falcon to fit through, causing the loss of the Falcon's subspace antennae dish

Umm...hate to tell the poor guy, but that was the falcons long range sensor dish...an antennae is like on your car...you can't have an antennae dish...and it wouldn't have mattered if he did tell Lando, a focal point of the Solo books are mainly Han knocking htat antennae off...(you'd think he'd make it retactable or sumthin), and That was Lando's ONLY way out and the explosion was aproaching fast....what would he have done, Blow up the Falcon...or knock off a Sensor dish....I'm going with the dish...
  21. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I reckon he's right on the mark!!

**opens PM inbox and awaits the hate mail**

[face_whistling]
  22. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    So true. Stackpole mastered the art of the bait-and-switch techniques pioneered by Zahn a few years earlier.

"Oh, you were expecting to see Star Wars characters in a Star Wars novel? Sorry, but I hope you like the new ones I created. Because that's all you'll be seeing."

Am I the only one sick of people ragging on Zahn and MAS? And the only one who wants to see some OCs? I am dissappointed to see so many who jump on the "Mary Sue, Gary Stu, sucky OC bandwagon".

I'm also sick of people jumping on the case of Zahn and Stackpole. I don't see people whining about Traviss and Ostrander not focusing on Obi-Wan and Anakin. Or people whining about Stover writing a book completly about Jacen with none of the big 3. Or people whining about McDowell using A'baht, Drayson and Akanah so much.
  23. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    Vergere > Wedge.

That is all.
  24. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    Heh, when trying to be funny, it is best to actually sound exaggerated instead of like a serious idiot.
  25. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    ROFLMAO@Everyone

Can't believe you people are taking the Cult of Piett seriously. Come on, these people pratically worship Piett as a god.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.