main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Anakin have beaten Mace

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by uwishuwereme, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005

The Emperor has more power then Mace and because the Emperor had the most power there had to be a chosen one if there had been a jedi who has power equel to the Emperor then there would not have been a chosen one but Mace's lightsaber skills are equel with the Emperor. Anakin was emotional against Obi-wan because Obi-wan was like his brother and he was his old master but if he had a duel ageinst Mace then he would not be that emotinal ageinst Mace becuase Mace was not Anakins master and has was not like a brother to Anakin.

2. Chosen_One1

Chosen_One1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    He may or may not have been on the Emperor's level as a swordsman (I think he wasn't). Then, why does he fail to do better than a draw in the Force push contest against Obi-Wan?
    I think you are taking Lucas' quote here a bit literally. Had Anakin truly been on the Emperor's power level, Obi-Wan would not have lasted long against him, emotional instability or no.

I think the force push was like a mini force explosion which sent would send them back no matter who was actually stronger. It paralleled the force lightning explosion in the Yoda vs. Palpatine fight.

Obi-Wan lasted long against Anakin because he trained him and knew all his moves. The book explains they had thousands of hours of lightsaber sparring against each other, and they knew each other better than brothers. When you know someone that well it's a huge advantage. Let me give you an example of what would have happened to Obi-Wan if he hadn't had the extra knowledge of training Anakin: Count Dooku.

3. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005

no, Anakin would not beat obi-wan like count dooku did because Count Dooku used the force not lightsaber and if he could do it then he would have alrady done it.

4. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    I think MacetheCouncillor is correct that Anakin is not as strong as the Emperor during ROTS. Lucas' statement simply meant that Vader now has no chance of being as strong or stronger than the Emperor after his injuries. It certainly doesn't mean that Anakin was as strong as Palpatine during ROTS. Lucas probably wasn't putting that much thought into how he phrased the statement. He simply meant that Anakin could have been much stronger than Palpatine, but because of his injuries he isn't even as strong as the Emperor.

I have probably already posted the sources that acknowledge the Emperor as more powerful than Anakin during ROTS, such as the OS, Lucas' interview, and comments by both Yoda and the Emperor. Obi-Wan having trained Anakin couldn't have made that big of a difference. It was primarily Obi-Wan's experience taking advantage of Anakin's wrecklessness that won the fight. If Anakin was at the Emperor's level, Obi-Wan wouldn't even have a chance of winning because Kenobi cannot "compete" with the Emperor. The Emperor is even more experienced than Obi-Wan and Anakin, and is "much more powerful" than either of them (as McDiarmid pointed out in his Celebration III interview).

Anakin doesn't kill the Jedi in the Temple as easily as Palpatine kills the posse. In the hologram footage, Jedi can be seen blocking Anakin's strikes. The Jedi in the Temple are inferior to Mace's posse because the OS and novel acknowledge them as three of the greatest swordsmen. Palpatine was able to kill the first two Jedi Masters in one move each, but Anakin wasn't even able to do this with inferior Jedi. This convinces me that Anakin is slightly inferior to the Emperor in lightsaber skills, and is consequently inferior to Mace and Yoda.

5. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    This is all getting way too complex. There's a high probability that the more experienced, and emotionally stable Mace would have defeated Anakin. After all, we know conclusively that Mace defeated the Emperor in saber combat. However, was it possible that Anakin could've beaten Mace? I think he could've won a battle here and there. Notice that Lucas uses the subjunctive tense in that quote about how Anakin "could've beaten the Emperor" if Obi-Wan wouldn't have cut him up. I think it's safe to say Anakin would have a shot, at least.

6. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    Mustafar Darth Vader could have killed Mace.

His chances of victory may have been around 30%-40% but of course he could win.

Naturally, Anakin would have become more powerful than Mace or the Emperor, but not as of ROTS.

7. DarthJedi06

DarthJedi06 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    I think a lot is heard but not seen of anakin. The ROTS Novel put anakin on a pedestal of power which no one else belongs, it uses adjectives such as unstoppable and unbeatable which are proved to be incorrect. Maybe this was GL intent but it most certainly doesnt appear that way on screen. I still believe anakin is more powerful than Mace or even Sidious, but if I were to beat money on a Mace/anakin duel id probably put my money on mace, power doesnt always equate to victory and mace has more control. Anakin might have all the power but he hasnt learned how to utilize it yet.

8. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I think the Anakin that we saw in the Dooku duel would've taken Mace.

9. Count-Tyranus

Jul 7, 2005
    Hard to say. Anakin was very good yes, but Dooku wasn't giving his all. Still, if Anakin can beat Dooku, he can beat Mace.

10. DarthJedi06

Nov 8, 2005
    I always thought Dooku was trying although i could be mistaken

The way i see it the Dooku/Skywalker duel is played out to test anakins strength, the question is how can you test anakins strength if Dooku doesnt try his hardest? I am sure Sidious wouldve sensed something if Dooku wasnt trying his hardest, after all Sidious wouldnt want someone inferior to Dooku for an apprentice.

Dooku also makes remarks such as "I have been looking forward to this" that seem to show his excitment in their duel.

11. Count-Tyranus

Jul 7, 2005
    It isn't to say Dooku wasn't trying hard.

However, a man fights differently if his life is not on the line and if he knows he isn't allowed to maim or kill his opponent.

Notice Dooku uses the force on Kenobi twice.

he never attempted it against Anakin.

12. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    No, you're right. It's clear from everything we know of the battle (unless you want to totally ignore the novel, labyrinth of evil, common sense, etc...) that Dooku was giving his all against Skywalker. Clearly he wasn't trying to get his hands cut off.

Sidious tells Dooku to test Anakin fully, meaning turn him or kill him. He's trying to kill him.

13. Count-Tyranus

Jul 7, 2005
    I disagree.

Sidious wanted Anakin no matter what. To say he wanted Dooku to kill him, although with age Anakin would become more powerful, is shortsighted.

Dooku was to test him yes, but Sidious would not mortgage the future on Anakin because at his young age he wasn't quite powerful enough.

Anakin would become his apprentice in time. Dooku's test was to see if the time was right. Killing Anakin would have defeated Sidious' eventual purpose.

Again, I stress one fights differently if they know they will be spared, also, the sources you mentioned indicate that Dooku dearly wished to retire. Who is to say that didn't play into the equation of not giving 100%?

14. Darth_Froschler

Darth_Froschler Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2004
    Who is to say that didn't play into the equation of not giving 100%?

Well, if he wanted to live...then yes. Unfortunetly Anakin walked all over him anyway.

15. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Fair enough. We have differing interpretations of this scene. I've always thought that Dooku was fighting all out against Dooku. All I know is that if he was holding back, he would have stopped holding back if he felt he was in danger, you know, like if he was getting owned by Anakin, which was exactly what was happening.

16. Ruthio

Ruthio Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    Anakin beat douku, but why not force lightning[or force choke]? I mean it seems douku wanted to test soley saber skill...almost like he was test driving a new car. Douku never thought anakin would do so great, and his ego cost him. Im sure on any other day Douku would wipe his shoes with Anakins face.

17. XmasYodaFanBoy

XmasYodaFanBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2005
    LOL!^^^^

i actually think that dooku was told NOT to kill anakin. not sure but thats just my aopinion

and ofocarse mace COULD have killed anakin and vice versa

power is not the only thing that makes a duel

18. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I'll have to check LOE again, but I'm pretty sure Sidious told him NOT to hold back.

19. DarthJedi06

Nov 8, 2005
    I believe it IS in LOE where Sidious tells Dooku not to hold back.

Dooku replies saying it will be his "crowning" orsomething similar.

20. uwishuwereme

uwishuwereme Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2005
    Wasnt there supposed to be a line in RotS when Anakin has the sabers to Dookus throat and Dooku says "you promised amnesty". I think dooku was holding back because he thought Palps was gonna stop the fight, or he counted on Obi-Wan still being in the mix and stopping Ani.

21. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    to say that anakin couldnt have beaten mace is saying that mace is invincible because anakin is very powerful and skilled himself but what i think should be considered here is how are the odds.

i say mace has the advantage and wins 6 out of 10.

22. vadersmyfather

vadersmyfather Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2005
    to say that anakin couldnt have beaten mace is saying that mace is invincible

No, it's like saying we don't think Anakin could have beaten Mace, it's not saying Anakin doesn't have the ability to beat him. I just don't imagine he would win one on one.

because anakin is very powerful and skilled himself but what i think should be considered here is how are the odds.

i say mace has the advantage and wins 6 out of 10.

6 out of 10

How are they odds?! Do you mean 6 out of every 10 battles?

23. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    yes win 6 of ten means that mace has the odds on his favor. do i have to use apples and crayons to explain it ?

24. vadersmyfather

vadersmyfather Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2005
    How would apples and crayons help :confused:

Odds aren't normally put in those sort of terms so I was just asking

25. LavaCake

LavaCake Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2005
    Mace would be all up in Anakin's grill, yo. The boy is nervous around the master and Mace would have the mental edge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.