main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Anakin really become the most powerful Jedi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarkStarkiller, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Given Anakin's obsession with power and the fact that it's the thread topic, yes.

If he didn't want adjust he should have never accepted Qui-Gon's offer to become a Jedi. If you're a Jedi you must make sacrifices.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Ah, but it's the fact that he will never achieve this power that drives the OT and the hunt for Luke. Anakin wants to become all powerful, but he blows it by betraying the Jedi Order and his defeat on Mustafar. Being a Jedi is not about being all powerful, which is why Anakin's going to fall. He's not acting like a Jedi, he's acting like a Sith.

He was nine years old and didn't understand the gravity of the situation. Qui-gon and Shmi thought he could deal with it. That's why they both tell him that it is his decision, but he wasn't ready. And Qui-gon made the mistake of deciding to take the boy, once he had permission.

3. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh, I think it's great that his lust for power is never sated. I also agree that being a Jedi isn't about power. Obi-Wan is a far greater Jedi than Anakin ever was, yet Anakin is stronger in the Prequels.

I know he didn't understand the gravity of his decision, but if he was unwilling to obey the Jedi Code, he should have left the Order and gone to Naboo with Padme.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    What did Anakin do onscreen that illustrates your point that he was more powerful than Kenobi? If anything, Kenobi did more with the Force than Anakin. Lucas failed miserably in that regard.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Pwnage of Dooku. And other stuff. :)

6. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    The way he killed Dooku and Vader being on the offense for most of their duel are the main things..

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I was talking about the Force.
    Yes, he dominated Dooku and pressed the attack against Kenobi, but those are Meh.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    ...As compared to what? Yoda being at best able to fight Dooku to a draw? Your own fanon imaginings? :p

9. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    Midichlorians off the chart, more than Yoda, would indicate incredible potential IF he was treated as and trained as the very special child he is. That is - Yoda, Mace and the Jedi Council had decided not to train him because he was too old, had formed attachments and feared to lose those attachments therefore when they did the flip flop to honor Obi Wan's promise to deliver on Qui Gon's last request, they should have known and been prepared to give Obi Wan all the extra help he needed training a boy who started out his Jedi career on such a precarious proposition. Obi Wan - who was a mere Padawan himself until the last few minutes of TPM, is now to train his own Padawan? and one with nearly insurmountable problems, problems every member of the Council was keenly aware of?

Great problem solving - let's put the kid in charge of the kid and when he becomes a teenager, let's pair him up bodyguarding the beautiful Padme - better yet let's have him spy on Palpatine, the same guy we're so concerned about him being too close to.....Jedi Code? we can bend it and apply a little Karl Marx and stand it on it's head......well, as Anakin would say, if it works.

10. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    SSS, I can't believe your saying this.

A couple of good reasons.

Exactly.

Regarding Force powers, Anakin puts up a "Force block" on Kenobi's Force push on Mustafar. No other Jedi, with the exception of Yoda, does something like that. Also, Anakin is able to fly half a ship, in Obiwan's words. Anakin was a superior pilot to Obiwan, and I'm sure that has something to do with your ability to use the Force.

SSS, I get that you wanted the barrels in the Mustafar duel, and that would have looked great. But Lucas is in a tough position, he's the Chosen One, but he's got to be beatable. And, Mustafar is mainly about lightsaber skills. It's the junior fight. The Force powers duel is between Yoda and Sidious.

Ever since I saw Anakin dominate the Count, I knew that it was Anakin's loss more than Obiwan's victory. And Obiwan could never engage three Jedi at once. That's enough of a reason to say Anakin's stronger in the Force. He's using the Force in a unique, mulitfacted way. He's using the Force both to guide his blade against two Jedi and to choke another Jedi.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, blame Qui-gon for making Obi-wan do it. Blame Qui-gon for taking the boy, knowing that it'd tramuatize him. As to leaving the boy with Palpatine, he's the only one that Palpatine trusts. Anything he'd do that was shady, the boy would know far faster than Kit Fisto or Saesee Tiin. As to Padme, there's nothing wrong with having relations. So long as they don't get married and have kids.

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

I know. Its a tragedy.
    Tell me, did Anakin ever do anything that made you say "wow" ?

13. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Hey Massster;)

No he didn't!

There were a few "WOW, now that was stupid." Other than that, not too much really. He didn't really do anything that would imply him being stronger or better than OBW, other than OBW saying so himself:p (also, an exception for the Dooku duel)

14. Nichtganz

Nichtganz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    Aside from my previous post, i believe that Anakin had a natural affinity with the force, making him stronger but he still has to learn to become a more powerful jedi, so in the end Yoda, and Windu are still more powerful.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    My Apprentisss!!!

I trust all's well with you and yours?
    So we are in agreement then. Aside from the "Wow, is Anakin stupid or what?" actions, he was just another Jedi to me onscreen. Why did we even have to hear about midichlorians, chosen ones and the like? They didn't have anything to do with the plot since they weren't manifested onscreen. (One force-block and wasting old-man Dooku does not illustrate power, skill or potential, IMO) If anything, his annihilation of Dooku makes Mustafar look even more stupid.

16. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    All's well here, no complaints as of yet. I trust you and yours are all well also?
    Yep, Anakin was just another Jedi onscreen. And his alleged super-flying abilities were ruined by the cartoons (should we trust them) where he is in fact out-manouvered by the lady with the sabers (can't recall her name). Flying and landing the wrecked ship when rescuing Palpatine had little to do with flying or force abilities (Anakin even says it doesn't have anything to do with flying) - and I strongly doubt that Anakin would force levitate the ship to ensure a smooth landing:p

And yeah, there is something off with Anakin beating Dooku rather easily, and then failing to take down OBW who stood no chance against Dooku - old conspiracy theory: Dooku not unleashing his full powers?[face_thinking]

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It seemed to me he wasn't outmanuevered by Ventress. In fact, the cartoons are the only real example that exists of his starfighter flying abilities.

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    There's also the opening of RotS where he outflies Obi-Wan.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    What I liked most about that opening scene was the sheer stupidity in the placement of the shield generators. I know the whole point was for Anakin to pull off another barrel-role, but it doesn't lessen the absurdity.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Seriously?

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It's what it is supposed to be at any rate.

22. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    OBW is also outflown by Jango who isn't a force user - OBW just has better wits, and as SSS says: must make it to the OT:p

Sure Anakin is a great pilot (although he couldn't take out ventress) - but that doesn't mean he is the most powerful Jedi. Remember OBW doesn't like flying, which is probably a good reason why he isn't the greatest pilot.

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Absolutely, Rossa...

No matter how dumb or weak, Kenobi

MUST

MAKE

IT

TO

THE

ohhhhh

Teeeeeeeee......

24. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
  25. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    And... there's a big question if the saga as a whole is suffering from the OT being made first, and also if it is suffering from the movies not being written as books first. As they stand, there are too many arbitrary stories to connect the two trilogies. Also, character development seems somewhat random too me. It goes something along the lines of the Matrix. It all starts out very well:

The Matrix: Neo is pointed out as a saviour with unlimited powers.
    The Phantom Menace: Anakin is pointed out as the Chosen One, with a great potential (we know from the OT that the potential will be severed) Mitocondrians are mentioned: a possible great answer to the mystery of the force and a possible answer to explaining the chosen one.

The Matrix2: Nothing more happens to Neo's character development - he can no longer truly kick Mr. Smith's ass.
    Attack of the Clones: Anakin is a young Jedi - we see him as fairly powerful, cocky, arrogant, making stupid decisions, and ultimately not that great or powerful - but Sideous still proclaims him to become even more powerful than Master Yoda. Nothing more on Mitocondrians - and no development on the chosen one.

The Matrix3: Neo is still suffering from any real character development - now he even loses to Smith as he makes a compromise and makes relative peace.
    Return of the Sith: Anakin shows more of the above characteristics, but no real character development. He still suffers from making wrong decisions, and he still suffers from not being able to reflect properly. He hasn't grown, he has just become more muscular:p There is still no further development or explanation on the Mitoconrian subject, and we are certainly left unanswered on the whole Chosen One aspect as it never reappers in the OT (but yeah, I see the analogy with Vader's redemption)

At least in OBW we see some character development as he is progressing closer and closer to Old Ben.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.