main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Anakin Skywalker have been saved from the Dark Side?

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Knight150, Aug 16, 2002.

?

Could Anakin Skywalker have been saved from the Dark Side?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

27.8%
  2. No

61.1%
  3. Maybe

11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    We are all made of stars.

2. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Oh please no Moby songs!!!

3. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Darth_Moby, did you miss the Luke and Vader's conversation on the ramp of the shuttle? He told Luke "You were right about me. Tell your sister, you were right." Luke was right that there was still good in the man that was Anakin Skywalker. He still could have been(and was) saved from utter damnation.

And in case anyone didn't notice, I did include that he could have been kept from falling. All it would require was a more expirienced teacher. Obi-Wan was barely a Jedi himself when he began training Anakin. He did the best he could, thinking he could train Anakin as well as Yoda and Qui-Gon had trained him. He was wrong, and he later admitted as much to Luke.

If Qui-Gon Jinn had not died on Naboo or had Master Yoda decided to take another Padawan Learner, Anakin Skywalker could have been kept from falling. Both were expirienced at training Jedi Knights and would know the warning signs that Obi-Wan missed.

I highly doubt, for instance that Qui-Gon Jinn would pass off Anakin's nightmares by saying "dreams pass in time."

4. MaraJade75

MaraJade75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2002
    well then you have to get into an argument about whether personality traits are innate or whether they can be shaped by the environment and blah blah blah....and I'm sure everyone has an opinion about this but in the end...I'd rather be watching tv so I will not get mixed up in an age-old debate like that one.

5. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Personally I think he would've turned no matter who trained him.

6. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    I would be pretty pissed if I had the same nightmare for weeks and my master told me, "dreams pass in time." haha

I think Anakin falling to the Dark Side was the first step to the best thing that ever happened to that Galaxy! :p

7. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    For starters, lay off DarthMoby! He's Dark Side to the core and was just making his own observation. No need to throw dialog at him...he knows it.
    Could it have been prevented? Sure. Was Obi a bad Master? Somewhat. Was Ani a bad apprentice? Whoo-Yeah!!
    We know Obi and Qui-Gon didn't always see eye to eye, but Obi respected his master (for the most part) and listened to him. Then again, Qui-Gon was more experience and wiser. Oh well...too many "what if's?" :D

8. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    d'oh and here i thougth "we are all made of stars" was a tip of the hat to carl sagan. silly me :D

i think if qui gon had trained anakin, anakin would have had the father figure he sorely lacked and would have thus become a "proper" jedi. then again he was redeemed in the end....too much to think about this early in the day.

9. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Carl Sagan as in "Contact"?

Great book.

10. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    the same :)

11. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    Not just Contact. Cosmos is a kick arse book too, non-fiction.
    Too bad he's dead
    Billions and billions...

12. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    I read something that I thought would be of intrest for this thread. Anakin doesn't remember how he made his lightsaber. He remembers going into a trance and speaking with a vision of Darth Maul who told him he should go to the dark side of the force. Maul throws him a lightsaber, and when Anakin comes out of the trance, he finds that he has built that exact same lightsaber. The only thing is, he can't remember how he built it. He doesn't tell Obi-Wan about this.

13. MaraJade75

Jul 24, 2002
    Contact...quality book right there.

14. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    Leah- where did you see that?

15. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    Jedi Quest: Path to truth, repeated in Jedi Quest Vol.1:The Way of the Apprentice

16. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    hey leah i read that too in this weird little "jedi journal" thing i thumbed through in walmart. it was kinda cool, i almost bought it. i also almost bought the darth maul's journal which was WAY awesome...i should go back and get it hmm

17. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    So much to read...

18. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Dex brought up a good point: "Was Obi a bad master?"

IMO, no, he wasn't. However, he was one thing: inexpirenced. He could only repeat what he himself had just been taught. He was like a teacher who is just out of college and is suddenly given a troubled student. He can only go by the book, not having the necessary expirence to know how to respond as needed.

Remember, he was planning on taking the trials, becoming something of a knight-errant for a few years and taking up an apprentice himself when he felt he was ready to do so. The universe threw him a curve-ball with the death of Qui-Gon and his dying wish that Obi-Wan train young Anakin. THis changed everything.

An older, wiser teacher would have known what to do. Obi-Wan wouldn't. He couldn't, not without the time to adjust from Apprentice to Knight himself.

19. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    That was more my intent. he wasn't bad, per se. But he sure should've stomped down on Anakin a little more when he stepped out of line. Then again, maybe he saw some of himself in Anakin...

20. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    originally, Obi-Wan wasn't going to be a jedi knight. He was sent to be on the agricultural corps. but he met Qui-Gon and they shared an adventure and afterwards Qui-Gon took Obi-Wan as his apprentice.

21. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Agricultural?

EU Poo :p

22. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    What book was that from?

23. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    Jedi Apprentice series I think. It's in his bio's too.

24. MaraJade75

Jul 24, 2002
    prequels...-=grumble, grumble=- heh! agriculture heh! a star wars fan craves not these things...-=grumble, grumble=-

[face_clown]

25. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    It's a good series. Rogue-Girl's icon is from the cover of the first book in the series. It's called "The Rising Force".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.