main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Anakin Skywalker have been saved from the Dark Side?

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Knight150, Aug 16, 2002.

?

Could Anakin Skywalker have been saved from the Dark Side?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

27.8%
  2. No

61.1%
  3. Maybe

11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    It's funny how some of the books aimed at "younger" readers are usually better than the regular novels. LOL

2. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    They should take all of the jedi apprentice books and put them into one big book. That would be easier then buying 18 little books.

3. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    yeah but then the publishers dont make as much money!!

4. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    Go to the SFBC. They can help you out there.

5. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    I just got a lot of new books. 4 Jedi Apprentice books and the graphic novels. Tales of the Jedi: Battle of the Sith, Jedi vs. Sith, and Dark Empire II.

6. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    SFBC does have a good deal with all of it's omnibus volumes.

7. MaraJade75

MaraJade75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2002
    dude, jedi vs. sith is really good. loved it. right up there with crimson empire and phantom affair for me. I love how it ties in with the Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. So money.

have to admit some of the parts in jedi vs. sith seem a little unbelievable. but still quality

8. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    MaraJade75 just said that part of a star wars story was "unbeleivable", and stated it as a bad thing. ...Umm... are you implying that the rest of the GFFA is beleivable? Help me out here...

Om the note of Ani and the Darkside stuff, there was no hope for him. If Windu or Yoda tried to train him they woulda seen the darkness first hand and sent him to the agri corps, where Ob1 almost ended up. It was because of ob1 that Ani made it so far in his training. And then we can call into play the whole "Profecy of the One Who Will Bring Balance to the Force" and we have to remember that it was writen in the Force that Ani needed to turn to the Dark Side.

9. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    WHo says it was written in the Force that he must fall? All he had to do was bring balance to it. He accomplished that in the end, yes, but that was quite possibly the most destructive means of doing so: first leading the hunt for the Jedi, then killing the Emperor.

There are other ways for balance to be achieved. Destroying Palpatine would be necessary, of course. He was single-handedly throwing things out of balance. But though the Jedi themselves were as much a reason for the discord as the Sith, their destruction was not necessary, IMO. Merely that they changed their ways from the stodgy, heavily beaurocratic organization that they were in the pre-Clone Wars era to the more dynamic Jedi they had once been.

If Yoda had decided to train him personally, something he had not done in quite some time(Ki-Adi Mundi being his last Padawan LEarner), I think he would have known what to do with Anakin. His training of Luke shows that he knows how to train troubled apprentices.

Qui-Gon would've been the best for Anakin, IMO . He was far more like the Jedi of old, and thus a better fit for Anakin's needs.

Obi-Wan could've done as well if he'd had the time to adjust from Learner to Master, as I said earlier. I give him a lot of credit for doing his best, but Anakin's fall is ultimately his fault. He failed to see the darkness creeping over Anakin and failed to react accordingly to it. In exile on Tatooine he realized this and said as much to Luke. If he had not sought out Vader on the DeathStar but rather went on to continue Luke's training himself, Luke would have become as great a Jedi as if he had been trained by Yoda. Obi-Wan had learned his lesson and was a far better teacher to Luke over a matter of days than he was to Anakin over a decade. But then again, hindsight is 20/20.

10. MaraJade75

MaraJade75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2002
    a) I never said it was a "bad thing"

b) I would comment on what I think is a tad unbelievable within the confines of the star wars universe but that would be a spoiler. those who wish to continue debating my post with me can PM or IM me at MaraJade75 where I can justify my opinions without giving away plotlines.

11. Aurra_Glow

Aurra_Glow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2001
    The only reason Luke was saved from the dark side is because Yoda and Obi Wan warned him and told him of his father's fate.
    I think if Anakin thought he could ever be turned to the dark side, if he even considered it a possibility, he could have been saved. He would have been more wary of his own emotions and Palpy's manipulations. Unfortunately at that point in his life, he wasn't prepared for a lot of those things.

12. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    You can see the moment in RotJ. Right after Luke cuts off Vader's hand and the Emperor is laughing at him. Luke looks at Vader's mechanized stump then at his own mechanical hand.
    Luke was definately courting the DS when Vader suggested turning Leia. Had the Emp not laughed at/taunted him, he may not have stopped to think about what he was doing. (IMO)

13. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    Anybody read the Dark Empire series?

14. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Yep, and I have DE-2 on audio tape. Very cool, along with all 3 Dark Forces and Tales of the Jedi. I love radio-play style audio books!

15. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    Do you know where I can get "Empire's End"?

16. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    must...refrain...from making...joke

seriously, try the dark horse website or local comic shops. Sometimes comic shops can reorder older books.

17. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    Two novels I found that go with this topic. Rogue Planet and Jedi Quest: Path to Truth.

18. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    I got Rouge Planet on hardcover for 4$ at WaldenBooks. When I read it, I found out why it was only 4$.

19. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    Aw, that's cruel....

20. asianwarrior21

asianwarrior21 Jedi Youngling

Sep 18, 2002
    lol dave that is just so mean!!!!

21. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    btw Anakin could not of been saved from the dark side, after all, anyone who acted in "Higher Ground" has to be pure evil :D

22. IG_88a

May 15, 2002
    If anakins master was dangerously close to the darkside it would be inevitable for anakin to not go the way of the darkside.
    If any of you read Star Wars Insider, #062 shows that Obi Won Performed Sai Tok a Saber technique designed to chop an opponent in half, its a form of butchery mainly used by the sith. This was used by Obi Wan in Ep1, through hatred and anger he cut down Maul. He was not worthy of being called a Master, therefor he should of never been allowed to train Anakin at all.

23. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Obi-Wan did not strike Maul down in anger. He was angry and full of hate after the barrier between them came down. That made him careless and enabled Maul to knock him into the shaft. It was only when Obi-Wan concentrated was he able to defeat Maul.

As far as sai tok (SWI#62) the article states that it is avoided if possible. Obi-Wan had only one shot at taking Darth Maul out. He had no choice.

24. IG_88a

May 15, 2002
    i must disagree, he acted with Anger, it is plain to see on his face.

25. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    It would take a great Jedi to control his emotions after seeing his master killed to not strike in anger. Obi-Wan was reckless in his youth and one little skirt with the Dark Side doesn't make someone a bad master...not putting a foot in your apprentice's ass when he acts up is a sign of a bad master. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.