main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could anakin's fall have been averted?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NJOfan215, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think anakin's fall could've been averted. Anakin was raised for nine years as a normal kid. He was used to having attachemnts and things like that. MAking him conform to the jedi code was just completely rediculous. Also seperating him from his mother was another crappy jedi idea. I think if the jedi were more open with him he would've turned out a lot differently. Look at his relationship with Neeja Halcyoen. You can tell that anakin feels comfortable talking to him about his family because he does. The jedi also have made specail allowences for jedi like ki-adi-mundee.

2. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    No. It was his destiny to fall. Just like it was Padme's destiny to die in childbirth. You can't escape fate.

3. jaya02

jaya02 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2002
    I'm not sure if this belongs here....perhaps in the RotS forum or the PT forum? However, I'll give you my opinion anyways.

I think Anakin was fulfilling his destiny, albeit a sad one. His dream a self-fulfilling prophecy. The Jedi knew of the Prophecy of the Chosen One, but they did not know what it would entail. They assumed it meant that Anakin would bring balance to the Force. However, the Jedi's definition of that meant that Anakin would destroy the Sith. IMO, Anakin did bring balance to the Force. Not only did he kill the Sith, but he also killed the Old Jedi Order, which was necessary. They had become too arrogant, complacent, and ineffective that the Jedi themselves were tilting the Force out of balance. Think of it as a cycle of renewal, and Anakin was the catalyst for it.

Edit: Now wookie, are you simply basing that opinion on the fact of what goes on in the OT, or are you thinking with only the PT in mind?

4. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    He mentioned Nejaa Halcyon and Ki-Adi-Mundi having a family. He would get eaten alive in the movie forums.

And I had everything in mind. It was Anakin's destiny. He couldn't avoid it. Noone can.

5. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Like all tragic heroes, his fall was set up and fated to. There was no logical way for Anakin to have the information we, the audience, have. Thus, I don't think it was really possible for his fall to have been averted. If you have a possibility of escaping your fate, it's really not a tragic hero in the greek sense of the idea.

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    He did have the option of escaping, he's a tragic hero not because he refused to take it but that he couldn't see it.

His out was the one Padme outlined, leaving the jedi behind and living off the grid. His problem was that he was so wrapped up in the idea of him being the chosen one he couldn't bring himself to leave that behind.

7. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    The Sith do no follow the will of the Force, and as I see it, the Sith coordinated most of the major issues that led to Anakin?s fall. The death of Qui-Gon being one of the biggest issues, IMO, as Qui-Gon was probably the best person to train Anakin.

Anakin may have fallen of his own free will, but there were a number of instances in the movie and the novelization that indicated that the Jedi made some really big mistakes when dealing with Anakin. They kept secrets from him (so he naturally didn?t trust them), and they split up him and Obi-Wan, who was essentially Anakin?s touchstone. It?s not a coincidence that Palaptine revealed himself to Anakin while Obi-Wan was on the other side of the galaxy.

Yes, I think it could have been prevented.

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Personal flaws and falls are what makes characters interesting.

We too here have our traits.

9. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    good stuff guys, keep it coming.

10. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    As bad as Anakin's fall was, why would anyone really want to prevent it? Without Darth Vader emerging, then either the Republic would have survived and nothing would have changed, or the Empire would remained in power for decades after ROTJ. Either way, the galaxy gets screwed over when the Vong come. Not even Palpatine would have been able to stop a mass bioweapon attack on all of the most vital systems in the galaxy. If it wasn't for Darth Vader switching sides at the end there, and the strange twist of fate that put Luke, Jacen, Tahiri, Corran, and their little crew on Zonama Sekot at that particular month, then the Vong would have been running the show.

11. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    No. It was like force karma, agreed on before birth. Had to happen.

Even in Rogue Planet, the inevitable was seen by Zenama Sekot. It told him he'd burn like the seed partners.

12. jaya02

jaya02 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2002
    Amen, Excellence. And I'm not surprised Anakin didn't take up on Padme alternative offer. He was too twisted by the darkside then; he was a psychopath. Not the best type of person to confront with rational type thinking.

13. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I would taken padme up on that offer. I would take her to some planet, leave the kids with 3po and rail her all day long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.