main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could AOTC Anakin and Obi-Wan have beaten Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarkStarkiller, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    I don't think they could've

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    No, though they would have had a larger chance of victory. Dooku however would have simply disposed of Kenobi and then dealt with Skywalker as he did.

3. Amrita_Glittersong

Amrita_Glittersong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    I think the two of them working together as a team would have had a far better chance, but the end result would be the same; Dooku would have split them up somehow and beat them one at a time.

4. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I think they could have if they worked together as a team. In RotS Anakin and Obiwan were both great individual fighters. In AotC they aren't on that level and would have worked better together knowning this. However, we will never really know as Anakin decided to take matter into his own hands.

5. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

Even as a team in ROTS, Anakin and Obi-Wan were not able to defeat Dooku. Yet, Anakin alone, was able to. Interesting.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If they had worked together, they might've lasted longer. In ROTS, the situation was different. Dooku was trying to kill Obi-wan and convert Anakin.

7. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    AND, Anakin didn't start beating Dooku until he had already allowed himself to be fueled by the Dark Side. Anakin definitely wanted to kill Dooku, not arrest him. He wanted revenge for the defeat on Geonosis. Once Anakin tapped into the Dark Side, instead of Dooku toying with him, he was the one toying with Dooku.

8. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Could AOTC Anakin and Obi-Wan have beaten Dooku?

Only if they had completely changed their strategy. For example, instead of fighting Dooku head on, they could have blasted the cave exits so Dooku and his ship couldnt leave. Yoda would have eventually come and mopped things up.

9. MasterAnders

MasterAnders Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    No they couldn't. Obi Wan was not powerful enough and Anakin lacked experience.

10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't think so. Had Anakin not wildly rushed Dooku at the beginning of the duel, the pair of them might of lasted longer. However at the time, Obi-Wan and Anakin did not have the right mix of abilities to defeat Dooku. Obi-Wan was not as powerful and Anakin lacked the experience/power that the Clone Wars would give him.

11. JediPrimePA

JediPrimePA Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2007
    That's a difficult question to answer. Too many variables. They could have had a good chance on beating him if Anakin didn't rush into things and had listened to Obi Wan. Would have been a really good fight.

12. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    AOTC Anakin and Obi-wan were weaker then ROTS Anakin and Obi-wan.

13. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yep, and in RotS Anakin wasn't able to beat Dooku until he drew upon the Dark Side.

14. Amrita_Glittersong

Jan 30, 2007
    Wasn't Dooku also throwing the fight by that time? I know he was supposed to let Anakin win, but I'm not sure if he was actually going along with it or not.

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    He wasn't going all out, but I doubt he was completely throwing the fight. I don't think Dooku could swallow his pride that much.

16. MasterAnders

MasterAnders Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    After he got rid of obi, he was fighting for his life and he lost.
    Anakin dominated that fight!

17. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    It's difficult to say what Dooku did exactly. But it is fair to presume that he wasn't going all out against Anakin at once. When Anakin was enraged he tipped the scale in his favour, and then it became very hard for Dooku to turn the tide - as it is in most cases, be it soccer, boxing etc...

AOTC Anakin and OBW could have beaten Dooku, but not very likely. Their best chance would be to last long enough for Yoda to arrive (and that would be a possibility)...

I'm not sure that OBW was a pushover in AOTC either, but he lost the duel before fighting as he didn't think he could beat Dooku alone. Not a good morale booster that one:p However, when I briefly perused the comic, I think I read that OBW actually pushed Dooku back for a while... (?)

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Dooku may have been trying his hardest to defend himself at the end(it would be consistant with RotJ), but he was told by his master not to kill Skywalker.

Huh, the film made it look to me like Dooku was toying with Obi-Wan the entire time. I'll have to dig out my copy of the AotC comic and see the difference.

19. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

"I don't believe it!"
    "That is why you fail."

Rossa83, I think you bring up a very good observation about AOTC Obi-Wan Kenobi. These quotes from TESB immediately sprung to mind as I read your post, and I think they apply to Obi-Wan's situation perfectly.

20. Amrita_Glittersong

Jan 30, 2007
    Agreed, and a very good point. And let's throw in "Your focus determines your reality" from TPM, while we're at it.

Re: The comic and Obi doing better in the fight - I thought I remembered hearing he was doing a lot better in the movie also before they cut a bunch of scenes of him to make room for Yoda.

21. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I agree wholeheartedly:)

OBW "did", that's not the problem here. But he didn't "do" it in his mind. I love his comment to Dooku though:
    Dooku: "As you see, my powers are far beyond yours. Now, step down!"
    Obi-Wan: "I don't think so"

He would never give up as he was so dedicated to being a good Jedi. However, he didn't believe in himself. He didn't think he could do it, and then you have lost...

"your focus determines your reality" is very good! It goes to show that OBW was still learning also, and I think Dooku taught him a good lesson, in fact Qui-Gon's lesson. Notice also how Dooku doesn't want to kill OBW. It is as if he was schooling him. Instead of killing him, he injured his knee and arm (where he could have chopped them both off). When going in for the kill, he hesitates - Dooku is still part Jedi (allusion to Vader in ESB and particularly ROTJ).

As Master_Starwalker pointed out, Dooku was in the film toying with OBW all the way (at least he made it look so). But when you mention it, I think you are right that OBW was doing better in the original script...

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Dooku wasn't throwing the fight in ROTS. The whole point of the fight was to provoke Anakin into going to the dark side. He was more focused on trying to kill Obi-wan, to make it happen. Once Anakin cut loose, Dooku realized that the boy was truly stronger than last time. He wasn't supposed to win that fight. On Geonosis, Dooku was very much trying to convert Obi-wan and when that failed, he went for the kill. Then he went and fought Anakin without reservation. He was trying and succeeded in besting him. Had the two Jedi worked together, they could've held out a lot longer than they did.

23. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    Yes, but in that process it is hard to see how Dooku was trying his best then and there. Look at how easily he disposes of OBW while kicking Anakin at the same time. He was very much on top of his game. Then he let himself drop to provoke Anakin, and by so doing he lost the edge in the duel - which he never regained. But there is nothing to say that he couldn't have done better, had he been fighting for his life. That is quite crucial. Anakin was fighting for his life, OBW's life and Palpatine's life. Dooku was fighting to seduce Anakin to the dark-side. He couldn't win.

To what purpose was Dooku trying to convert OBW? I don't think you're wrong, but I think it may just as well have been as a sentiment to Qui-Gon. Just notice how he hesitates to kill OBW, he even tells him to step down - and I'm convinced had OBW done so, Dooku would've spared them... Although, Dooku knew that OBW never would...

They would held out a lot longer, but eventually they would be defeated. In ROTS, it doesn't take Dooku long to overpower OBW, then he would proceed to take out Anakin the way he did... Their chance was to hold out till Yoda got there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.