Could Count Dooku and Darth Maul combined into one character?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by jaimestarr, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaimestarr Jedi Knight

I love both Dooku and Maul. However, would there have been a stronger antagonist if it was the same villain for episode 1 and 2?
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    I know there are some that will disagree with you.

However, I have had the same thought, but I'm not sure how it would play out, since Episode III has yet to be realized.

But I do often ponder the thought.
  3. Ghost_Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    The two characters demonstrate the traits of Vader:

Maul: The Bad-A$$, killing machine, that installs fear through his appearance alone

Dooku: The Fallen Jedi, once a great Jedi, now a mortal enemy
  4. jaimestarr Jedi Knight

I am not saying it should have been done. Everything is fine the way it is. I am just imagining....
  5. dark-sidious Jedi Master

star 4
    Maul was a real sith something we had not known before since sidious. I think Maul was to proove you can be a sith without being a jedi first. Also from a marketing point of view Maul was for the kids. Overall Dooku was a far better villian.
  6. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I think it definitely would have been stronger with the same villian through I and II. As it is now, Dooku just seems to pop up to take the place of Maul. Don't get me wrong, Dooku is a great character and all, but it would have been better to keep Maul through II, IMO.
  7. TheForgottenJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Considering I love both characters, why not have them both and just leave the rule of two behind :p!
  8. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think that it is good the way it has been put to film. Darth Maul would not have made a convincing seperatist leader, and Dooku would not be nearly menacing enough for Phantom Menace.

In order to tell the story the way George wanted, you needed two distinctly different personalities.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    five years of windiness!
  9. Obi_Frans Jedi Master

star 4
    The 3 "righthand"-villains of the PT all represent different sides of the ultimate "righthand" and some might even say 'ultimate' villain - that is of course Darth Vader.
  10. NeoBaggins Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Darth Maul is the man as well as the classy Count Dooku. One, Sith lord to span across the trilogy until Anakins Apprenticeship would be very likable. A single vilain to bring struggle and absolution to Anakins strenghth.
  11. Obi_Frans Jedi Master

star 4
    That's Sidious/Palpatine
  12. I-Kill-JEDI_Dogs Jedi Padawan

Yes...I wish that Maul would have lived through the first movie and taken the place of Dukoo. I like Dukoo don't get me wrong, but Darth Maul makes such a better villian.
  13. Obi_Frans Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it would be more interesting if Maul had lived and Dooku had still come into the picture, think of the internal mayhem and power struggles there'd be within the Sith (which will probably still show themselves in 'Sith')

Plus it would just be too cool for school
  14. Emos-Edud Jedi Master

star 4
    No, but Grievous and Sifo-Dyas could be combined into one character.
  15. SLAVE2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I dont think Maul and Dooku should have been combined, but I think if Qui-Gon and Dooku were it would have made for some interesting moments. Say Qui-Gon turned his back on the order at the end of TPM for whatever reason, then showed up 10 years later leading the Seperatists and being the Sith apprentice. Would have made the duels at the end of AOTC more meaningful. But Dooku is awesome anyway so I'm not complaining.
  16. MYMUTHAZ Force Ghost

star 3
    i like that idea slave2
  17. Malikail Jedi Master

star 4
    Considering I love both characters, why not have them both and just leave the rule of two behind

that is imo by far the best way it could have been done.

the rule of 2 is unnecessary, complicates a story that doesn't need complicating and creates this constraint that had to be writen to from then on.

i won't even go into how the OT contradicted the hell out of it, the dialoge not the actions.

i actualy think the two seperate characters were necessary.

i would like to see a more active consistant villan in the PT, but without totaly rewriting at least ep1 i can't see how it could be done.

it would be a hard call for me, but if their roles were combined it's maul who would have to be jetisoned in my mind.

dooku could have performed his role, sans dieing, in TPM, but i can't see any way maul could have performed dooku's role in aotc without massively rewriting his character, and then he's not the maul the fans love.

i like your idea alot slave2, that is saying something since i'm realy fast to mention how happy i am the fans aren't making the PT.
  18. Hades2021 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm going to disagree with you here. I really like the rule of two, as it adds more depth to what it means to be a sith.

If the Dooku and Maul characters were combined, then in Episode I, we would need to receive Dooku's backstory as we did in Episode II, and frankly there may not have been enough time to do that. And man I love both of these characters.
  19. SkottASkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Could Count Dooku and Darth Maul combined into one character?

Count Maul?

:p
  20. Ker-Soth Jedi Knight

star 3
    Combined no.I do like Maul as a character very much but he's not even close to Dooku's class. I agree that Maul should have survived TPM somehow. It AOTC would have been greatly enriched if Dooku actually believed that he was trying to defeat Sidious only to find himself taking orders from him in ROTS. In that fashion Maul's presence would be greatly needed. I think Maul died simply because the fans wanted a good fight after 20+ years of waiting and hoping.
  21. The_Nameless_One Jedi Master

star 4
    Someone do a Photoshop of a combined Doooku and Mual :p
  22. Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Knight

star 3
    It wouldn't have worked. Maul was a complete mystery. He was a symbol of the sith returning and they knew nothing of him other than that he was a skilled sith, especially after his death. And they're left with the mystery of who was killed, the master or apprentice.
    As for Dooku, he is a former jedi and they dont' know hes gone to the darkside, this is why hes leading the seperatists. That way its much more mysterious when hes revealed as a sith.This would not have worked with Maul. Also recruiting Jango and deleting the files is all key to Dookus character. Maul and Dooku are vastly different and neither could serve the others role.
    What about the sith witch that was considered for episode 1, and then again for 2? surely she wouldn't have worked for dookus character. Its too bad, it was a cool idea but I guess Lucas just didn't have a place for her, and thats just how its gotta be.
    Ian Mcaig's concept art for the sith witch with the stringy red hair and the rotted teeth is extremely scary.
  23. darth-amedda Jedi Master

star 4
    And then - if this one villain survived from TPM to AOTC - you'd have even more bashers whining that Obi1 hasn't done anything significant in TPM.
  24. Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Knight

star 3
    Considering I love both characters, why not have them both and just leave the rule of two behind

Absolutely. This rule really hasnt added anything to PT story, and has contradicted the OT story to the point where new dialogue was needed (ESB Palps/Vader scene).

I also love the idea of making Dooku QG. Man, that would round things out nicely.
  25. jc1138 Force Ghost

star 1
    I think you need them both. Dooku heads the CIS, heading meetings, recruiting organizations, politicizing, presiding over executions etc... Maul in TPM just walked beside the Nemoidians looking Bad*** waiting for order from Sidious.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.