main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Count Dooku defeat Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Matthew78, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    In a duel with lightsabers? he was the best fencing and dueling champion with Form II ever and easily takes down both Obi-Wan and Anakin in AOTC and holds his own against Yoda before fleeing and in ROTS he defeats Obi-Wan easily again and is only beaten by Anakins use of Form V which is more powerfull than Dooku's Form II which cannot match V in strength and power, Dooku also dominates both Assaj Ventress and General Grievious in the Clone Wars Cartoons is the only Jedi along with Yoda to have defeated Mace Windu with a lightsaber presumably before he developed Vapaad from Juyo Form VII and became really powerfull and unstoppable with it, Dooku is able to move with the speed that Yoda moves with and has experience with the dark side just like Palpatine, i think in force powers palpatine might be stronger but Dooku is a more skilled duelist.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Palpatine, according to Nick Gillard, is a "master of all styles and forms", so I'm gonna go with officially no.

That being said,in the film it seems as though Sidious is more about fighting using the Force, considering it seems he gets disarmed swordfighting twice-once with Mace, and while we don't see it onscreen, it seems he loses his sabre fighting Yoda as well-it's certainly nowhere to be seen
    at the end of the duel.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nah. As good as Dooku is, Palpatine is far better than him. He's very experienced and has a greater rage, which fuels his abilities, putting him way over Dooku. It wouldn't be an easy fight by any stretch of means, but Palpatine would defeat him.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Dooku would lose, but he'd put up a far better fight than any member of the posse other than Mace.

5. Droid

Droid Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2000
    The only person in the galaxy who would stand a chance against Palpatine with a lightsabre is Yoda. If Dooku and pre suited Vader were to team up against Palpatine they would lose.

6. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Nope. I think the main reason Dooku couldnt is because he is not as experienced in fighting dirty as Palpatine.

7. Juggernaut86

Juggernaut86 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    LMAO U Cant be serious

Together they would kill Sidious fairly easy

8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Darth Sidious would do the same to Tyranus as AnaVader did. I would say that AnaVader was at his pinnacle when fighting in front of Palpatine. Once he called upon his anger and hate, he tore Dooku apart. Sidious wouldn't need to summon anything, I mean the dude practically breathes hate and anger. If the duel didn't end quickly it would only be because Sidious wanted to talk some smack and dun moch him for a while.

After it was all over, some stiff would come in and wipe the floor with Dooku's cape.

9. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I couldn't disagree more.

Palpatine is good, but if Mace disarmed him, then Dooku stands a chance. Dooku is pretty incredible. We really never see a hint of Dooku even thinking about overthrowing Sidious, though. You could take that to mean, he didn't even consider the thought because he didn't even think he had a shot.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Two things.

1. There is debate as to whether Palpatine threw the fight with Mace or not. I don't believe so, but others do not.

2. Going with Mace won legitimately, he got off a lucky shot that managed to knock Palpatine down. That doesn't mean that Dooku would get that lucky. Also, take note that Dooku couldn't beat Anakin the second time they fought, despite being more experienced.

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Dooku held his own against Yoda in Episode II though so it's not that farfetched to think he could defeat Sidious.

12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Palpatine could've cut Mace down right along with the rest of them, he just wanted to prolong the inevitable and saved Windu for last.

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I always thought that Sidious's main strength lay in manipulation and not combat, so I would say that Dooku could easily have killed Palpatine if he weren't so dependent on him for Sith knowledge and galactic domination. The same went for Anakin.

14. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    How I rank em:
    #1 Yoda - never loses his cool in a fight, except for a moment against Sidious' electricity, regains it immediately.
    #2 Sidious - only manages to defend himself against Yoda, despite having all the advantages.
    #3 Mace - he beat Sidious, but Sidious was concerned about turning Anakin at the time.
    #4 Anakin - has the most potential, very impulsive tho.
    Ahem. Dooku's not on the list.

15. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005
    How does that have to do with Juggernaut86's comment? He said both Anakin and Dooku together could defeat Palpatine. I firmly agree with that. I don't see what your personal ranks have do with that comment.

And as for those personal ranks, how can you chose Yoda over Palpatine? When Lucas has said that the Emperor is the strongest in the saga and Yoda ran off because he realized he didn't stand a chance?

16. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    Ya ur right, but I just like that comment. I can't imagine Dooku and Anakin working together at all. Dooku thought Anakin was a reckless farmboy with no refinement and no ability to become great. Anakin didn't find Dooku's power seductive at all. Also, I highly doubt Palpatine would seriously fight Anakin. It's hard to picture Palps vs Anakin and Dooku. Anakin would always side with Palpatine over Dooku.

Palpatine vs Dooku and Anakin is like Palpatine vs Mace and Anakin. All I could see happening, is Anakin attacking Mace or Dooku, whatever the case might be.

If Dooku and Anakin did team up, everything would depend on Anakin, I think. If Anakin had a good day, then they might beat Palps. Dooku wouldn't add much to the equation.

(1) I'm a Yoda fanboy.
    (2) Yoda seemed legitimately better in the duel, to me, if you watch really carefully, Palpatine looks like he's on the defensive. Was that supposed to be the 'full power of the darkside'? Color me disappointed then.

17. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Sidious would win, but I don't think that we ever got to see the full potential of Count Dooku's Force and lightsaber abilities, regretfully.

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wasn't his fight against Anakin pretty much the limit of his potential?

19. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I don't get that feeling. Until he was disarmed, it feels like he is still testing Anakin, rather than trying to kill him. By the time he realizes how good Anakin has become, it is over. His duel with Yoda probably shows him at his best, but even then it is cut short because he is trying to escape, rather than win. A protracted, uninterrupted duel with Mace Windu would have been a good measure of his abilities.

20. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    He fought Windu to a draw in Star Wars Republic but that was because two Magma Droids showed up and interfered and stopped Windu from his attacks, so he has the skill to go toe to toe with Windu but we dont know if he can outduel him yet, most likely that was out of desperation to give him a chance to run away.

21. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    I never even really find that out because it seems the sith is always trying to get away rather than fight too much..but i would pick palpy because he prob knows more and is more experienced than dooku.

22. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Yeah, it seems like he only made one small mistake during the testing and Anakin capitalized on it.

23. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    In an outright battle? No way. Sids would cream him. Not just because he's better, but also because of Dooku's psychological issues as a Sith Apprentice. If Dooku suddenly, unexpectedly snapped like Vader in ROTJ, he might be able to do it, but frankly I consider that unlikely.

I'm not sure even Anakin and Dooku could take Sidious together. Oddly, though, if Dooku had succeeded in converting Kenobi, that team might have stood a chance - neither of them are in his league individually, but I think they'd work pretty well together.

24. Master-Chief-Kenobi

Master-Chief-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2007
    I fully believe that Dooku would have destroyed Anikan in a straight fight had Dooku not been ordered to go easy on Anikan in that fight in Ep3, he forgot that treachery is the way of the sith. Anikan is a great fighter but he's a beserker. A weaker figher who's a brilliant strategest will EASILLY take him down as proved by Obi-wan in Ep 3 & ep 4. The way Obi-wan used his own death & anikans familly against him his pure tactical brilliance. Plus Anikan never faced any of the council members in battle save Obi-wan. The weakest of the bunch.

P.s. - Palpy prolly threw the fight against MAce but Mace does cleanly beat him at the same time. This is Samuel l. Jackson doing his "I'm a bad &*^% mother*&#^#%" routine at his finest, as spelled out best by Matt Stover, Mace uses the Dark side responsibly...no jedi restraint, there is no dark side only the force, the dark side exists only within your soul not the force, exactly what Vegere wanted of Jacen Solo but he was too weak minded to understand.

25. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005
    Your use of the phrase "treachery is the way of the sith" implies that you read the RotS novel. I am curious because you didn't mention that in the novel it explicitly states that Palpatine ordered Count Dooku to kill Anakin. And as to what's seen on film, we see no interaction between Palpatine and Dooku on the Invisible Hand, leaving Palpatine's orders ambigious. Only a Lucas quote says that Palpatine wants Dooku to test Anakin. But I have to believe, when your getting dominated, your absolutely fighting a 100% out of instinct. Count Dooku is a great fighter, I think he's tremendous. But Anakin is Anakin. It was his time to shine. He has come into his own after three years of fighting in the clones wars. Dooku was gone either way.

Obiwan was about to die on the moving platform, hence him jumping off in fear of losing his life. Obiwan simply walked into to a strategic opportunity. I give him credit for recogizing his position and using it, but it was the will of the Force that he got there in the first place. What is this reference you make about Obiwan in ANH though? As far as I can tell from the duel, Obiwan holds off Vader long enough for Luke and company to leave. He sacrifces himself, as he knows he is incapable of defeating Vader.

Anakin did fight Sword Master Cin Drallig (along with two other Jedi) in the Temple. Though not on the council, his lightsaber skills were mentioned as fine as the councilmembers. Anakin also was to have killed Shaak Ti in the Temple until she was retconed back to life. To say that Anakin was the weakest on the council is absurd. A conservative estimate was place Anakin as the third most powerful Jedi after Yoda and Mace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.