main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Darth Maul have defeated Jango Fett?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Just curious.

In Jango versus Kenobi we learn that Kenobi > Jango, as Jango had to literally run away from Kenobi. He even had his son give him cover fire via Slave 1 while he was doing so. Furthermore, Kenobi was trying to capture Jango alive, not kill him.

OTOH Maul clearly defeated Kenobi in their duel by tossing him into the pit. Kenobi killed Maul then, yes, but that was something that happened after Maul let his guard down and became lax.

So therefore IMO Maul would own Jango in a fight, especially if it was a duel to the death.

Discuss!!

2. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Any competent force user should be able to mop the floor with Fett, Jango or Boba. The Jedi and Sith simply have weapons at their disposal no non-Force user can combat, so in theory, yes, Maul should be able to wipe the floor with Jango. If he couldn't, then he was even more worthless as a Sith Lord than he already was. All it would take is a simple force crush, crushing the jetpack so it explodes, taking Jango with it. Or, choke him to death. You could use the force to rupture a blood vessel going to his brain. Levitate him and cleave him in half with your lightsaber. Create lightning...Jango is essentially wearing METAL armor, after all. Throw a few thousand volts of juice his way. There are really lots of ways for a force user to kill him. Its really the same problem General Grievous has...you can't really be an effective Jedi killer when they have abilities you simply can't counter. It would be the same flaws as if Grievous were a Sith killer. Non-Force users have issues defending against Force users, period. Jango Fett would not be special in that regard. Fett invincibility only exists in the minds of fanboys. In fact, a somewhat intelligent Padawan should be able to figure out how to effectively combat Jango Fett's techniques. It just takes a little imagination...Darth Maul shouldn't have much to worry about in a fictional fight between him.

3. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    How do you know its a fictional fight? For all you know they may very well have fought pre TPM. There has to be a reason Jango was chosen as the template for the clone army, and there also has to be a reason he is loyal to the Sith. Maybe it was Maul who 'broke' Jango in. Defeating him and forcing him to serve the Sith out of fear.

It would be just like Maul IMO going up against the best bounty hunter in the galaxy just prove something to himself and to advance the sith cause.

4. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Actually, it was Dooku, who made an offer to Jango.

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Hmmmm...

Consider we must, the events that occured prior to TPM. Darth Maul singlehandedly went up against Black Sun and utterly destroyed them. All of them. Including a Force sensitive Witch of Dathomir and a the Force sensitive Alexi Garin, or whatever his name was... Maul sliced through them like a razor-sharp ginsu knife passes through a piece of fruit.

Maul would have demolished Jango.
    And it wouldn't have been pretty.

Good to see you both, Sitara and Darth Davi.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maul vs. Jango would have been much like Jaden Korr vs. Boba.

In other words, the only thing that could save Jango would be the plot.

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Talk about irony, Fenn...
    The only thing that killed Maul was the plot.
    :p

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Maul would more than likely have little trouble with Fett.

9. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Maul was the most fantastic duelist in the whole of the PT IMO. At least the most fantastic to watch. I can see him taking little more than a few seconds to kill Fett. I would think knowing it was "The Great Jango Fett" would actually egg Maul on to kill him even faster.

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    IIRC, Maul did have a thing for granting worthy opponents an honorable (ie: quick) death. But that may have just been an author filling space, but on the other hand he did dispatch Mighella rather quickly.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Which doesn't explain why Obi-Wan ran away from him.

12. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    The problem that Force users have when fighting ordinary opponents is that the Force
    does not make them clairvoyant, omnipotent, master mechanics. Darth Maul could not possibly
    know what all the gadgets and gizmos in Jango's personal arsenal are capable of doing, much
    less how to activate them or even defend himself against them. "Forcers' are given remarkable,
    comprehensive training, but going up against customized weaponry built to an individual's
    specifications means being able to think creatively, and fast if they want to live.
    If an opponent like Jango had extensively studied both Sith and Jedi, he would see patterns
    in their training, and if he were sharp and talented, might come up with a device or two that
    could give him an edge, even if it were a one-shot tool.

In the films, neither Maul or Jango were around long enough so that I could wager one's abilities
    against the other. It would have been interesting to see how something between them turned out.

13. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    As others have said, I think Maul would have easily defeated Jango. Maul more or less handled Obi-Wan in their duel (Obi-Wan only killed him due to his arrogance), and Obi-Wan held his own against Jango Fett (even though he was at a disadvantage since he was attempting to capture Fett alive). Maul was a superb combat artist and skilled in the use of the force. I think he would have dispatched Jango without too much trouble.

14. poe077

poe077 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 28, 2000
    I dunno, Obi-wan did fairly well against Maul, especially considering no Jedi had fought a Sith in how many decades? He broke through Maul's blitz and destroyed part of his lightsaber.

Obi-wan fell prey to a force push, that was about it.

But back on topic, there's no reason Maul should't have anny problem dispatching a Fett.

15. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005

See one of SSS's previous posts. The only thing causing Kenobi to run away was the plot. But, I would point out, that once Kenobi and Grievous began combat, Kenobi stripped Grievous of half of his fighting power inside of 20 seconds. So much for being trained in the Jedi arts by Dooku...However, I seem to remember Grievous being the one who runs away from Kenobi. He had that uni-wheeled motorcycle thingamabob. I also seem to recall Kenobi giving chase on the boga. When exactly does Kenobi run away from Grievous?

Realistically, given the abilities of the Jedi and Sith, and given the abilities of either Jango Fett or General Grievous, taking them out of the movie context, and comparing them side by side, there is simply no logical way you could frame an argument to lead me to believe either Jango or Grievous, in one on one combat, could ever take down a competent Jedi. The only way they could realistically take out a Jedi or Sith was long distance, with bombs, grenades, traps, something like that. But, given a direct face to face confrontation, there is no way you could ever convince me that either one of them could best a trained Jedi or Sith. When side has weapons and abilities the other side has absolutely no way of countering, the fight is already over before it ever begins. Neither Jango or Grievous can defend themselves against the Force. There is no doubt in my mind that Darth Maul wouldn't hesitate for a second to exploit that advantage, therefore, Jango Fett has no chance at all. The Jedi and Sith should be able to counter anything either Fett or Grievous can come up with, whether its blocking blaster shots with their lightsaber, using the force to throw a grenade back at them, etc. But, what can Fett or Grievous do to defend themselves against the force? Really? Can Fett block a force choke? Can Grievous prevent himself from being levitated, rendering him immobile? No, they can't.

Fett and Grievous would be bringing a knife to a gun fight...

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Destroy Malevolence.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    TCW.[face_talk_hand]

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That episode sucked soo bad, I had already forgotten that.
    Perhaps that was done to make Kenobi look better in ROTS, for future first-time viewers?
    Either way, it's still awful and woefully-contrived...

I wonder which villain is going to kill Ahsoka?
    Ventress? Nah. She's not bad enough.
    Cad Bane? Nope. That would be like Jango beating Kenobi.
    The Droid General? Um, no.
    Dooku? Makes the most sense...
    hopefully he does it when she is unarmed, so it somewhat ties into ROTS.

With my luck, she'll survive and live to be older than Yoda.

19. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    If you want to bring the EU in, fine...Mace Windu/General Grievous in the original Clone Wars cartoon. Mace crushes Grievous' armor with no effort at all. Had Mace been Darth Maul, thus with absolutely no regard to whether Grievous lived or died at the time, Grievous would have been crushed completely, rather than escape with his life, and a permanent cough. The effort (or complete lack thereof) that Mace needed to do it proves my point. ANY Jedi or Sith could crush Grievous with minimal effort, therefore Jango Fett would be an even easier kill, since not only is his armor not nearly as strong as Grievous' is, but being completely human underneath, Jango would be far more frail to begin with. Sorry Arawn...By including the EU, you made it easy to prove the fallacy of your argument.

SSS, I am gonna vote none of the above. They will chicken out of killing her in the cartoon, and then say that Anakin did it off camera during his attack on the temple in ROTS.

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Oye Vey, D2...
    That's the worst case scenario.
    Which means they'll do it, just as you've suggested.

21. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    They can't kill a *gasp* main character in the cartoon...just clones. Otherwise they would upset the kiddies. (it would have been better to have never written her in, but, that is another debate)

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I don't know... I think it would be hard to whack her offscreen.
    Hard to stomach at least... even more so than her contrived inclusion to the saga.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Not really. He's still a Jedi killer in any event. If it's so easy for a Jedi to crush him, his attaining that status would have been unlikely. For example, since you brought up the cartoon, why didn't Daakman Barrek just Force crush him? What about Shaak Ti, Aayla and Ki-Adi-Mundi in the cartoon, or Obi-Wan in ROTS?

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Poor writing and trying to make the droid general more bombad = EPIC fail.
    Calling GG a Jedi killer is, was and always will be pure rubbish.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He's got lightsabers hanging from his belt.

I guess he picked them up in pawnshops or something?

Not to mention that this is the guy who almost killed Obi-Wan... if it hadn't been for the conveniently placed blaster...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.