main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Disney dare remake the original trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    The funny thing is, had Lucas not sold his company, and he lives long enough to see technology advance enough, we would have had a remake eventually.
    I can see him now, rubbing his hands together eagerly, the day technology gets to the point where you can successfully replace actors with totally different
    people. Mark, Carrie, Harrison, and other cast members would be replaced with a better looking cast. Also, the dialogue would be changed to have characters
    shout "Nooo!" for the entire film. Eventually the entire thing would have been unrecognizable. :(

2. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    If I'm dead and gone they can do what they like.

If they do even after I'm dead I'll be back to haunt the Force out of them.

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

And you base this on what? Your personal dislike of the Special Edition versions?

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Thoix Heoro like this.
  4. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    My personal dislike has nothing to do with GL's unending tendency to make changes to the films. I made that post in jest, after reading a quote by him, where he claimed that he would be making changes to the OT for the rest of his life.

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    It'll happen one day. No classic is sacred in Hollywood, and remakes have been going on since the movies began so it'll happen eventually. I'd give it another 30 years though.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2013
    IDK about an all-out remake/reboot of the OT, but what I'd love to see Disney do, is release a new DVD/BD release of the OT as it was originally, before any of the updated or special editions... just as the OT originally was. It's something that OT purists like myself have been wanting for a very long time. I think such a release is inevitable, but I think Disney might wait until after JJ-Wars to do it, to see how well (or poorly) JJ-Wars does, and the fan reaction to it. But an unaltered OT release is something there is a definite fan market for, and thus, it represents potential money in Disney's pockets... and if Disney loves anything, it loves making money.

7. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Nice avatar, LT.

Lego Thrawn likes this.
  8. Lego Thrawn

Aug 30, 2013
    ^

Thanks!

9. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013
    two things.

1. We'll never see a "reboot" of SW in our lifetimes.

2. When it is "rebooted" it won't be until, like Star Trek, interest has waned and it's fallen off.

ok also a third

3. Assuming the human race lasts long enough :p

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Lego Thrawn

Aug 30, 2013
    You place WAY too much faith in J.J. Abrams.

11. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013

well that can mean two things.

1. You think what he does is going to bomb. In which case my only reply is. I have more "faith" in Abrams than I would and do have in Lucas (if he was the one doing them) after what we got with the PT.
    2. You think he's going to reboot it in a way with VII..in which case..that's not what he's doing. He's making a sequel for one...and, even if he was, that would be Disney's call not his.

So..I don't see you point honestly.

12. Lego Thrawn

Aug 30, 2013
    I mean the latter... I believe that while not outright rebooting the entire franchise, J.J. Abrams WILL reboot the entire visual look of the universe, just as he did with JJ-Trek. Perhaps I am wrong. I hope I am. But this is what I believe.

13. LeiaSeducer

LeiaSeducer Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2013

Both Harry Potter and Lord of the rings will be rebooted and remade within the next decade. I would put my house on it.

Star Wars will too at some point. Iconic actors as iconics characters means they wont? Shatner was Kirk, Nimoy was Spock, they rebooted that without a problem.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Doubt it, won't happen

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Hando like this.
  15. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    "Shatner was Kirk, Nimoy was Spock, they rebooted that without a problem."

Yeah, but that's just Star Trek though. [face_mischief]

16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Harry Potter is the only one that I believe will be remade anytime soon. Potter was a cash cow and fairly lazily done, with little consistency, and even less love.

Star Trek was a endless BO failure (or mediocre at best) which never hooked anyone except Star Trek fans. So the reboot was inevitable.

Both Star Wars and LOTR were the babies of entrepreneur filmmakers which became wild BO and critical hits. It is HIGHLY unlikely they will get reboots/remakes. But since they are now both out of the hands of said filmmakers, and in the hands of giant corporations, what they will get is endless sequels, prequels, and spin-offs.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Won't be remade, no way!!! they are perfect and good luck finding a director that will do all 8 movies

18. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    With things like the Star Wars Saga, LOTR/Hobbit, and Harry Potter I can't see much of a reboot or remake.

For reboots, Star Trek ended up working by explanation of an alternate universe caused by an alteration in the time stream. The new movies focus on the younger, tv show era. Somewhat mirroring, but really telling a new story from what we've seen on the big screen before.

Same with superheroes. You're always going to have some similarities, especially when retelling the origin, but the comics history of these characters are so vast, there's many stories to be told without repeating what's been done. And when a villain is reused, it's still different enough from the previous time.

But Potter and LOTR/Hobbit are adaptations of specific novels. So reboots won't work because there's nothing new you can bring to Harry's, or Bilbo's and Frodo's adventures. Yeah, they could be remade, but what's the point?(aside from the studios wanting more money). That's an awful lot of time and work to tell the same story almost word for word, and personally I wouldn't want to invest my time or money into watching them remade.

Same with the Star Wars Saga. While they weren't originally based on novels like the other two, the Saga tells a very specific story that you can't really reboot and give us a new story. Same thing goes with what I said before about remakes. But with Star Wars you can fill in the gaps between movies, tell back stories of characters like Han or Boba(between the Trilogies), or go back or forward in time(like the Old Republic or Legacy did). So you can pretty much do on film what the EU does, but to retell the Saga again... I hope not.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Also the Potter movies started coming out around the time the 4th book Goblet of Fire came out I can see a Potter movie series reboot being done. The whole book series wasn't out yet. It will happen.

20. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I freaking hope so...a remake is way overdue.

21. Lego Thrawn

Aug 30, 2013
    I wouldn't exactly say "without a problem"... ;)

22. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Not while they can keep making all kinds of silly edits and re-releasing the trilogy in the latest video formats.

23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I wish Lucas had remade the original trilogy instead of altering it every release.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

No it' won't

25. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I would take that bet in a heartbeat. I'd even give you 2 decades.

1) Regarding Harry Potter: I have to give props to J.K. Rowling that she doesn't let anyone do anything with her characters. There's no Harry Potter "expanded universe". She treats her characters the way I wish Lucas treated his. I wouldn't be surprised if she eventually wrote more Harry Potter books, but there won't be a reboot.

2) Lord of the Rings: Again, no way. The movie rights to all those books were ridiculously complicated to obtain in the first place, it won't be happening again.
    It is far, far easier to reboot a story where the characters have a series of unrelated adventures. That means James Bond, comic book characters, and yes Star Trek. It just won't happen with continuous stories such as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

Revious Nugo and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.