main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could Disney give audiences a homosexual couple in the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Merric, Dec 22, 2015.

1. AurilliusPrime

AurilliusPrime Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    I am all for it but I think Disney has pushed quite a few buttons already with their casting and storyline decisions. Could they do it? Sure and most media would support VIII even more for it but a large segment of the long time fans would boycott the films entirely and the film has to be sold to international audiences who might have their own take on it. I think they US has led the charge on LGBT rights in media for a while but this needs to be done with thought and care. If they do it then it needs to be more than slashfic. It needs to be done well and tastefully. I could see Poe and Finn share a real kiss in the final celebration scene of ep IX if they are both still around. That would be very tasteful and clever. It could also give context to some of their earlier encounters in the trilogy. That would be interesting.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Many, many, many others feel differently. Stop saying our opinions are wrong.

And "as gay as they come?" Seriously? You need to stop posting now. You're starting to sound unreasonable and homophobic.

turnip white and AurilliusPrime like this.
  3. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Nah, OP, Finn is clearly into Rey. He and Rey are going to get together and bang, a thousand racist voices will cry out in horror, and there's going to be a massive oversupply of salt.

And then in Star Wars ep 10 the next generation's Skywalker is going to be this biracial guy. Cue more horror among the racists.

4. Bran Kenobi

Bran Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012

Final celebration scene? Don't tell me they're copying and pasting ROTJ for IX. [face_not_talking]

5. AbsolX

AbsolX Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 30, 2015
    I would support a Poe/Finn relationship, but I don't think Disney would do more than drop interptable hints for the decicated fans to avoid a profit sting. Its like adding back a stupid Jar Jar (a Darth Jar Jar on the other hand) Also I'm not hating on Jar Jar, just saying that many people dislike him. However maybe in a few years when the world is more accepting we may get a twitter post from somone like JJ realvealing it.

WriterMan likes this.
  6. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I don't see it happening. I really don't care what people do privately in real life, but every time the gay issue comes up out of nowhere (like JK Rowling magically deciding to say Dumbledore was gay AFTER Harry Potter was finished) it just makes me roll my eyes and I take the story less seriously. Now I don't see a minority's struggle, but shmucks that messed with something I was enjoying until they came along. So, ultimately it hurts the cause you're trying to support by turning people off.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It wouldn't be combining up out of nowhere... Or else there wouldn't be so many people who see Poe-Finn in that way.

8. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014

No such thing as bad publicity though. :p

WriterMan likes this.
  9. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    how about a love triangle between poe and finn and rey :p. unrequitted lovetriangle xD

10. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    I dunno... It's really not the kind of story that would lend itself to include it. I'm not saying they can't or shouldn't but whether or not it has something to do with the story. To me, if a homosexual relationship is just arbitrarily added then it will feel like it's in the movies just to say they added it so everyone is happy.

11. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    I am waiting for the slash fics :p

12. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    The thing about that was there really wasn't a reason to believe Dumbledore was gay, and people claimed that she was super progressive because when someone tweeted her saying that "Dumbledore never seemed gay" she responded with "Maybe because gay people look like...people?"

Well, if gay people look just like normal people, why can't we ever see them? Closeting them is not sending the right message. The whole point of having a gay character is to not only create diversity but also create a fictional role model for the gay community. Young girls have Katniss, young gay people could have Poe/Finn.

George Lucas himself would be impressed with Rowling's level of revisionism there. I quite frankly believe she made that up way after the fact.

So, bringing this back to Star Wars, if Poe and Finn are overtly gay - great. It will piss lots of people off but as far as a story thing, I think it will work and add to the characters. But if they're closeted and then revealed like 10 years later to be gay by the creators then honestly they shouldn't even bother. There's a difference between creating a character that can be read as gay and actually creating a gay character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragonchic likes this.
  13. JEDImasterNick

JEDImasterNick Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015
    Disney shouldn't put gay characters in such a family friendly franchise. Having gay people is fine but it isn't good to 'rub' it into children's faces and opening their options now. They shouldn't make Poe gay. If someone wants to be gay that's fine but don't show it in such a big franchise which kids watch.

14. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    You sound like Putin. oh dont have "gay" propaganda etc. My daughter has a lesbian cousin and a transgendet mtf cousin, should I shield her from them? Of course I do not, got to get exposed early so it is normal to see.

15. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    If it fits the narrative and doesn't just scream look how liberal we are - give me your pink pound/dollar, I could support it. I will say that when the series gets romantic love 'right' in terms of acting and dialogue (see Han and Leia) it adds to the film, but when it is not well written and acted (see the cod Shakespere lines delivered between Padmé and Anakin during their courtly love scenes), it detracts from the film.

That brings me back to my original point-no shoehorned romance or it ends up detracting from the film.

16. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013

Yeah, I'm one of those people who know I'm not qualified to judge gay issues and the like, so I just mind my own business.

Completely agree with your assessment of Rowling. That line she said about Dumbledore was "always" gay was a bunch of crap.

17. Cabbage Knight

Cabbage Knight Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Doesn't bother me if they have a gay character, but don't beat the audience over the head with the fact that one or more character is homosexual. Just treat it the same as any other trait a character possesses. . I wonder though if it would be more powerful if Poe was gay, but Finn isn't and still have them building a brotherly bond.

18. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I feel that's becoming a trend now, to normalise homosexual people to the point where they almost have to follow all the archetypal straight tropes because their sexual orientation is accepted now, but not necessarily any behaviour that doesn't fit accepted gender norms. It's precisely what another poster said about 'closeting' gay characters.

19. Cabbage Knight

Dec 21, 2015
    I'm not saying that homosexual characters have to act masculine, or feminine, just that the movie shouldn't focus heavily on just the fact that they're gay. There's more to a person than their sexuality. They should just present the characters however they are, and let the audience reflect on that themselves.

20. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I didn't think that was what you meant, I just think that the whole act of having inclusion for its own sake, yet having those people blend into the background as much as possible sort of defeats the whole point. I guess it depends on the (hypothetical) nuances of the writing and the performance.

Cabbage Knight likes this.
  21. Cabbage Knight

Dec 21, 2015
    I don't want them to blend into the background, just present them in a way that doesn't make the audience feel like it's being attacked or judged. I don't want them just included for the sake inclusion either. I guess a better result is if I was a writer, I would honestly just roll a dice to decide whether characters homosexual or straight and let the scenes flow as they might from that and other traits they have or don't have.

22. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I went to see the movie again yesterday, and nope- I still don't see it. And I was actually looking for romantic subtext this time around. I feel like people are reading too much into this. It wouldn't change if Poe were female either: there's just no romantic subtext there at all.

They're just friends, especially compared to Finn and Rey, who have clear romantic tension.

Rey and Finn:

- Finn taking Rey's hand
    - Share a moment after escaping Jakku
    - "Have a boyfriend?"
    - "You looked at me like nobody else had"
    - Finn going back just to get Rey
    - Share a moment after meeting up at Starkiller base
    - Freak out when each other are injured fighting Kylo Ren.
    - Rey kissing Finn on the forehead

Finn and Poe:

- Brohug
    - Poe lets Finn keep his jacket.

Not a lot of emotional intimacy in the second compared to the first, and not a lot that can be interpreted as romantic.

Kyle Katarn likes this.
  23. Cabbage Knight

Dec 21, 2015
    No probably wouldn't be anything between Finn and Poe, doesn't mean they still couldn't write Poe's character as homosexual later on in the movies. If he is, then he is. If he's not, then he's not. Doesn't bother me either way.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Rowling revealed Dumbledore was gay only like 3 months after the book came out.

I do wish that was in the book, but I certainly did pick up something like that between young Dumbledore and young Grindelwald when I first read the book.

But I'm picking it up between Poe and Finn even more strongly.

Gay people are in families.

Gay people have families.

Kids who are gay haven't ever really had a role model in a major mainstream franchise before.

Kids are already growing up with two fathers or two mothers, or with gay cousins/aunts/uncles/siblings.

To have an openly gay character would make it more family-friendly, not less.

25. DeanoMeisteR

DeanoMeisteR Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    You're right about the profits. They are fiduciarily responsible to shareholders. Part of that is profits and part of that is being consistent with the mission statement so who knows at this point what angle all of that has. According to the below mission statement, I don't see anything focusing actual diversity of people (differentiation of content in their context is not the same thing). So this will all come down to if this is profitable or not, if it is reflective of the communities in which they serve which it is. I doubt a financial analysis of this would be done to decide such minor details. it will probably just be a discussion with a yes or no decision.

Disney corporate mission:
    "The mission of The Walt Disney Company is to be one of the world's leading producers and providers of entertainment and information. Using our portfolio of brands to differentiate our content, services and consumer products, we seek to develop the most creative, innovative and profitable entertainment experiences and related products in the world."