main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could Disney give audiences a homosexual couple in the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Merric, Dec 22, 2015.

1. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    I don't like talking about my sexuality but trust me kids don't give a crap about the gender choice of my partners, I work with kids, I have a niece and a nephew, there friends don't care about me. I'd like to have kids. Kids are not going to turn evil or whatever because a character falls in love with the same gender. That is loopy and rather sad at the same time. I sigh.........

Besides I don't give two F's about Poe and Finn, if it happens, it happens. Just like Dumblebore its nothing special. Well not to me anyway.

2. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Just a minor thing that nags me: people don't have to be exactly like you to be a role model. That's honestly an unrealistic expectation, and it encourages the idea that different groups of people are more different than they are alike.

I'm a guy, but one of my biggest role models is Joan of Arc.

I'm not saying that there can't be role models who are gay, but the idea that every group of people needs their own set of role models who're "just like them" actually encourages division and tribalism.

In that light, I think "gay kids need fictional gay role models" isn't a strong enough argument to make Finn and Poe lovers when there pretty clearly isn't anything between them but friendship.

Bran Kenobi likes this.
  3. DeanoMeisteR

DeanoMeisteR Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Yes I agree with you there, it shouldn't have to be treated like a special detail. When this (and other things) stop becoming an issue that people have to talk about in this context, then it will be evident that people accept others, and see others based on the content of their character. With that being said, when you see others that do not accept someone for whatever reason it's a tall task not to judge them by it and to try and see where they are coming from themselves. If someone wants acceptance by someone that doesn't see eye to eye with them, they are gonna have to accept someone in the same fashion, or else it's just going to be a viscous cycle.

turnip white likes this.
  4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    You can't tell me in so many words that my opinion is wrong and then try to tell me to not say the same thing about your own. That is the very nature of a debate. If you cannot handle it then that is your problem.

Also, you're projecting again. You have gone out of your way to make me look like the Westboro Baptist morons when all I have done is offer an opposing view based solely upon storytelling and not politics or personal belief. If anyone is starting to sound unreasonable then it would be you.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No. Stop making stuff up.

I've been debating here for over a dozen years, in both Stars Wars and political/religious forums here. You've been around for a while, but you're not acting that mature right now. You can do better than this. Don't tell me I'm projecting and can't handle the debate.

It's how you're acting in this post, and the last one, that's sounding desperate. Stop telling me how I must be feeling. A debate is possible but you're acting like a child.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    For what's worth, I be absolutely fine with it. I also think there wasn't any romantic chemistry between Finn and Poe. I also think there wasn't much between Finn and Rey either. He has a schoolboy crush on her since she is the first person ever to look at him beyond just being a piece of meat. Meanwhile Rey thinks Finn is "sweet". Maybe that can blossom into something more but it certainly wasn't heated at all. Certainly not how Leia and Han were from the moment go.

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Until it appears a movie's box office and reputation is hurt more by not having these characters and a romance between them than it is for it to have them, don't expect this to happen. I never understand the people who want token characters to play as representatives for a whole group of people. That one or those few tend to be bad, or blatant stereotypical examples. Unfortunately though, a lot of people want those attention-craving, stereotype-embracing token depictions. Yet at the same time they will express a desire to be considered as equals like everyone else, which would mean not spotlighting this preference and attraction. To that some would say that they are forced to endure a heterosexual relationship in the movie, which is just going too far to pretend to be offended because gay people have never had a problem with becoming fans of romances that involve heterosexual people.
    It just looks desperate to claim characters are something you know they are not, and to try to make an issue of it if someone is not included. That kind of obnoxiousness isn't a way to go about cultural acceptance. There are characters in movies that could be considered by pseudo-openminded people as some kind of superficial similarity to me that I would prefer weren't in the movie at all for how they were displayed.
    Not quite like The Color Purple. What happened between the leads of Brokeback Mountain was forced and out of nowhere. Brokeback Mountain was definitely looking to push buttons as it used the archetype of the cowboys and because of where the trailer was attached. If it weren't for what looked like a juxtaposition to a lot of people and they would have just been some big city club cruisers, it wouldn't have gotten most of its publicity.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not all gay people are "big city club cruisers." It's good to break stereotypes.

Didn't Leia suddenly being in love with Han in ESB seem like "out of nowhere"?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Like I said, "what looked like a juxtaposition to a lot of people," with the intention of making an impression.
    Han and Leia didn't just happen. In Brokeback Mountain, there were no advances or romantic gestures.

10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Ehhhh... I don't know. The next time you see the movie, look at how Rey looks at Finn when their eyes meet. I think there is something there, some mutual flirtation. Subtle, but IMO unmistakably there.

No on the gay relationship with Finn and Poe, that isn't happening.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just read through the past few pages of this thread and will try to break down what I have seen:

1. "I'm not against same-sex couples, but..." Stop there. If (general) you are not against same-sex couples, there is no need for the "but."

2. "B...bu...but evangelical Christians!" See also: the 90s boycott due The Lion King. I hope and believe that Disney is smart enough not to give a **** about opinions that are not worth taking seriously.

3. "Society is not progressive enough." It should be. It wasn't progressive enough for Leia not being docile to her rescuers either. That was not Star Wars' problem.

Signed, Finn/Poe 'shipper, also in favor of Finn/Rey. But no love triangle. I would rather see BB-8/3PO than a love triangle.

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    You're putting words into my mouth.

A story such as the one in the films needs to be written in just such a way that it gives adequate coverage to the new characters, re-establishes the old characters, and sets up the story for what is to come further on down the line. Finn and Poe had all of several minutes of screen time together which is barely time enough to form a basic friendship but certainly not any kind of a romantic relationship. When establishing something like this for the screen, a writer needs to very clearly denote such a relationship forming and cannot rely solely upon subtle hints which can be taken in more than one way. Doing it any other way isn't effective storytelling. This has been my argument against any such relationship the entire time - if such a relationship was intended then it should have been explicitly stated from the get go and not left up to the interpretation of the viewer. Adding it on at this point would make it look tacked on as a token "Hey, we're hip and with it!" move instead of something genuine, and that isn't the attention anybody wants when trying to appear progressive or appease certain audiences.

13. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I would love to see it happen, and I could see it happening. They did put a black guy and a lady front and center after all. If any franchise is going to do it, it's this one, especially now with its financial success.

And just because Finn & Poe are just chummy bros right now, it doesn't mean it can't become something more later on.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    BB-8/R2/3PO polygamous relationship ftw

Anyways, on topic, I'd be for it. I think it's implied we're probably going to get Rey and Finn romance, but among the fandom, I definitely see way more support for Finn and Poe as it is. I'd be fine with either
    Part of me wishes the same sex thing wouldn't even be a factor considered

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    If it's organic to the plot and doesn't feel forced at all, then I wouldn't put it past the creatives to do such a thing.

Kyle Katarn likes this.
  16. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    If Poe was a woman, I don't think there'd be any complaints about the people who hope to see Finn end up with her instead of Rey.

Skywalker_boy likes this.
  17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a general reminder. Let's all remember to play nice. We're letting this topic continue because most people are being good, let's keep it that way.

I first read that as polyglamourous and I thought, heck yeah it would be! LOL.

Re: Very little screen time with Finn and Poe - So what if Poe and Finn didn't have that much screen time together, does that mean they can't later on? That there wasn't more going on than we saw directly? People in real life don't always interact a lot with someone they are attracted to initially and most people aren't at war. We don't see everything that is happening/happened in the movies, which is why we theories to discuss.

I love the idea of Finn/Poe being together, I also love the idea of Finn/Rey. I don't want a love triangle though (I'd totally go for a poly or triad relationship, but I really don't see that happening yet.)

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I've seen Brokeback Mountain, and I utterly disagree that there was no lead up to their sexual, and then romantic, encounter. Ang Lee is masterful at offering subtlety, and while the build up between these two men isn't dramatically apparent, as it is in most such stories, it's absolutely present. "Forced" and "out of nowhere" aren't two words I'd ever use to describe anything in that film. There was more build between those two men than I've often seen in full blown, heterosexual romantic movies.

And you're offering some level of premeditation here, as if the script writer created the actual story to press an agenda by making cowboys the center of a homosexual relationship in order to draw people in. The script writer did no such thing seeing as the source material is actually adapted from a short story published in the 90s in a liberal magazine, geared toward an audience already more open to the material. The script facilitates already available material

The movie crossed over into mainstream America because it was a damn good film with a brilliant marketing campaign. It actually pressed LESS buttons than the studio expected and prepared for, which is part of it's success story.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  19. asdv

asdv Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2003
    Adding a homosexual couple to the story would not do anything to enhance the plot/story etc. So, the only point of doing it would be to push an agenda forward. I would think that most audiences would rather watch Star Wars without feeling like they were being interrupted by political undercurrents. I say keep Star Wars in the realm of the good vs evil mythos and don't try to make political statements with the script.

Respectfully submitting my opinion.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16

20. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Same here. But a poly or triad relationship would be really new & interesting to watch. Best of both worlds! [face_idea]

mavjade likes this.
  21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I can live with Finn&Poe, Rey&Finn, Rey&Poe etc. As long as it is a believable story, I'm fine. I don't have any prejudices regarding sexuality, gender, race, religion etc. ;)

Kyle Katarn and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  22. Olibar1

Olibar1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    I will never refer to BB, R2 and 3PO as anything other than Polyglamorous again!

mavjade - JJ uses love triangles extensively in his work, so I wouldn't be surprised if in the back of his mind he was thinking about a Finn/Poe/Rey love triangle, though probably the more traditional one where Finn and Poe both like Rey, I really do hope Kathleen Kennedy stays away from that old trope. Instead, I think it would be interesting to see it as an unrequited one where Poe Likes Finn who likes Rey who likes Poe and at some point when they realize that they all decide just to become friends.

I definitely think Disney could just do a Finn/Poe relationship though. It feels like at the start of episode VIII we will have had 6 to 12 months where Rey is training with Luke, but where Poe and Finn will be working together with the Resistance, so it is possible that their relationship could have grown in much the same way that Han and Leia did off screen between IV and V. Perhaps the start of VIII sees Finn thinking about leaving the resistance to go find Rey, Poe trying to convince him to stay, but when the First Order Attacks, they flee together, and their relationship grows.

asdv - Adding a homosexual couple would do the same thing as adding a heterosexual one, show a bond between two characters who love each other. Having heterosexual couples on screen doesn't push an agenda or have political undercurrents, and neither should a homosexual one.

Seagoat likes this.
  23. asdv

asdv Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2003
    @Olibar... So why do it?

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16

24. Olibar1

Olibar1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    asdv - As I said, for the same reason you would have a heterosexual one. In ESB Han and Leia's growing relationship brought another level of depth of emotion to Han being frozen in carbonite. Similar circumstances could happen with Poe/Finn in 8 or 9. In an action/adventure movie, you give someone a love interest so that the bad guys can separate them and make one person risk their lives to get them back. Friendly love, like that between Luke and Han, is one level of that, but romantic love, like between Han and Leia, is another. Conversely, love can make a character do something terrible, like with Anakin and Padme.

Skywalker_boy and Seagoat like this.
  25. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    But it would be done as an afterthought with the current zeitgeist in mind, which is like making them simply tokens for pandering.
    It's also interesting to see how one trendy sensitivity cause replaces another... while waving one flag of sensitivity, you would be trashing another group of people the public selectively pretends to care about: black people offended over the years of that one prominent black role model character in a movie being gay. Oops. And remember, they aren't too appreciative of the silly "gay is the new black" comparison. The socio-politically passionate (on either side) always shoot themselves in the foot.
    This thinking that Poe's and Finn's camaraderie is more than just that, and out of sexual attraction is an example of this problem in society where now same sex people can't associate with each other without them being perceived as gay couples. It seems that gay people are common enough, accepted enough, and openly integrated in society enough without this kind of antiquated method of outing those who aren't just to try to prove they exist and were liked by heterosexual people, which is the way that was done twenty years ago about actors or characters in TV shows. Those advocating doing that say "what's wrong with that?" even though they don't like to be perceived as straight; no one wants to be called something he isn't, and you know the true demeaning power of making those accusations in our society and how it can be detrimental to people. This is why I avoid hanging out with male relatives if they are around, because I know people like to think this stuff as a way of trying to reinforce some kind of perspective while also knowingly attempting to put them down.