main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could Disney give audiences a homosexual couple in the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Merric, Dec 22, 2015.

1. asdv

asdv Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2003
    @Olibar.. Thank you for the response. I think those are certainly valid points regarding having a love interest in the movie. That said, don't you believe that making it a homosexual relationship will distract from the literary elements you mentioned? The media would turn that into the biggest event of the ST and it would just divide fans IMO. Field day for the media. Distraction for the fans. That's how I would see it playing out.

Glad we can have respectful dialog. Obviously, I probably have a different opinion on this issue than others.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16

2. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    I personally didn't pick up on the aforementioned 'chemistry' the first time I saw the movie. I simply read Poe/Finn's relationship as a brotherly camaraderie, and it wasn't until The Internets pointed out the idea of a potential love interest between them that I kind of understood it on the second viewing.

From what I've seen, the theory seems to have had a lot of basis in the fanfiction community and hasn't massively been picked up by the wider fanbase as a whole (only going on the opinions of my friends there though so am willing to be proved wrong!) but in terms of it actually turning into a Thing in the next two movies? Well, I could see a homosexual relationship happening at some point, though perhaps not between Finn and Poe - it just doesn't click for me with those two. I felt much more chemistry between Finn and Rey. The friend I went to see the movie with the second time said Poe 'totally set off her gaydar' though, and I'd tend to agree with her...

tl;dr - obvs am not a homophobe, nor am I at all precious about what does or does not 'belong' in the Star Wars movies, so I'd totally be open to the idea of a homosexual relationship happening. Just don't see it happening between Finn and Poe.

3. Olibar1

Olibar1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    I think that some people might be distracted by the relationship, but that is not a reason not to have it develop, especially if it adds dramatic weight to the story. And it may be a field day for the media, and would garner a lot of attention for a day or a week or a month, and then it would be forgotten about to talk about the next big story that tries to divide us, so I don't think that should be a reason not to do it either.

As far as the other concern about it being tacked on because it wasn't sufficiently developed in TFA, well, sometimes the story changes based on what happens in production or post. In the case of Finn/Poe, I think that there is some natural chemistry between the two actors that probably wasn't planned or expected, but now that it's there the filmmakers could choose to use to further the story. Similar to how Black Widow and Banner have developed in the Avengers series. That wasn't planned out from the beginning, it's just the film makers taking advantage of of a combination of chemistry and the need to up the dramatic stakes. Banner leaving the Avengers at the end has more emotional weight because of how close he had gotten with Romanov, and the fact that he is leaving because he feels it is the only way to ensure his safety is heartbreaking. But that relationship wasn't there in the first Avengers movie. That's the great thing about serialized storytelling in film, you can let the characters grow and surprise you as the series moves along, and a lot of that has to do with what the actors bring to the table and how they interact with each other on screen.

4. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Can't help but notice that people are shipping Finn/poe and Rey/kylo (the eff?!). Seems like its anything but the most obvious pairing that was shown in TFA.

Bran Kenobi likes this.
  5. Bran Kenobi

Bran Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    We didn't have the INTERNET in 1977... but if we did:

[​IMG]

Force22 and LadySithLord like this.
  6. LadySithLord

LadySithLord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I seriously don't get this thread. Finn and Poe acted like two buddies.

7. Bran Kenobi

Bran Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Just remember Luke & Han walked down the aisle at the end of ANH. Anything is possible with SW. ;)

[​IMG]

Force22 likes this.
  8. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Right? In no way did I get homosexual undertones from their interactions. It's just his generation where if two guys are close they are automatically assumed gay. It's pretty obvious Finn has feelings for Rey. Poe sees Finn as a brother now after he helped him escape and returned BB-8 to him. And I don't see how sexuality should be that important anyway. Having a gay relationship wouldn't really move the story along in any way. Sometimes it works for a certain story, but other times it feels like they just put it in to appease SJW and to seem "current".

Kyle Katarn and Bran Kenobi like this.
  9. JEDImasterNick

JEDImasterNick Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015
    No. John Boyega confirmed this he said Oscar was just joking on the Ellen Show

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Shamear likes this.
  10. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Me too. Got no "vibe" whatsoever.

11. exarkun2187

exarkun2187 Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2016
    Let's not forget Finn was a stormtrooper who spent all his life before this in training and war. And also that even though we see him having feelings for rey most of the movie, all this time he thought poe was dead right? And now with rey gone for training and poe back from the dead I see the new ship sailing itself

12. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    MODified: Contribute or find another discussion to post in.

13. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    [​IMG]

Olibar1 likes this.
  14. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    [face_laugh][face_rofl] but nope.........