Could Ep III be one of the highest grossing movies ever?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Hans_Maulman, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hans_Maulman Jedi Padawan

K from whut i read, believe it or not TPM was the 3rd highest grossing movie ever. i think this can be attributed to the curiosity of a new star wars movie in over 20 years. i think Ep 3 could top that, maybe even beating out Titanic, as one of the highest grossing movies of all time. i think a lot of people will flock to it to see the final turn of anakin into Vader. post ur opinions.
  2. DARTH_ZELIG Jedi Knight

I hope Episode III is one of the highest grossing films of all time, but we will have to wait and see.

In 1999, I (along with other fans and a number of box-office insiders) felt TPM might have a shot at "Titanic." It did well ($430 million or something), but fell far short of the $600 million gross of "Titanic."

This year, I thought for sure after seeing AOTC, it was going to blow TPM's gross away. I felt this because AOTC was so much better than TPM. But it has fallen far short of TPM (probably due to the fact of all the competition it faced this summer, namely Spidey).

So, it will be interesting to see what happens. First and foremost, I hope Episode III is simply a great film. And if it can kick arse at the box-office, too, all the better.

I just hope something knocks off "Titanic" some time in the immediate future. I think it is the most overrated film of all time.
  3. merlin Force Ghost

star 4
    [color=663300]Well, if ticket prices keep rising, it could easily be the highest ever. :p no in actual ticket sales? probably not.[/color]
  4. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It won't be. Titanic, had many things going for it. The biggest was the ability to draw females over and over to it. And when each of these females went, they dragged along their respective boy toys. Right there is double the ticket sales. Plus, it was out in Winter, around Christmass and New years, a time when a lot fo people see movies, and there is very little competition. EpIII will come out in the summer, like the others, when there is a lot of competition. New, big, movies every weekend that drive it out of theaters faster.
  5. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    I was thinking the same thing merlin. If ticket prices were the same for ANH and Titanic, ANH would clearly be the victor.

Realitically, I think Ep. 3 will be the 3rd highest grossing Star Wars movie. It will be the last one ever, so people will want to experience it one last time, many times.
  6. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Will it be one of the highest grossing movies ever? Yes.

Will it be the hightest grossing movie ever? No chance. I don't think that it can topple Titanic, nor do I believe that it will surpass TPM....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    three years, doesn't it just blow you away!?
  7. MadMardigan Force Ghost

star 4
    Could Ep III be one of the highest grossing movies ever?

Well as long it makes a single penny then technically it will be one of the highest grossing movies ever. Every movie that's ever been released has been one of the highest grossing movies ever.

Oh but I think you mean like Top 10 or 20 don't you? Shouldn't be hard for Top 20. Just 255 mil(as of today will be harder in 3 years). Top 10 is much harder. 310 mil. AOTC is struggling to break 300. So unless Ep 3 garners widespread critical praise and brings back non SW fans (which if they've been lost now, they aint coming back) then it'll be very tough to crack Top 10 let alone Top 5 which is 400 mil.

If Lucas is concerned about going out with a BO bang then he's gotta up the marketing blitz and hype machine this time around. That show it on as many screens as possible like Spider-man.
  8. SLAVE2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It'll need Celine Dion to sing the score for it [face_plain]

I dont think it will get into the top 10 ever, but it wont gross what Jabbadabbado said in my sig, that I'm certain of.
  9. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes, I think it will be, regardless of how good it is. Well, as long as they hype it up more than AOTC. AOTC's promo campaign was more of an afterthought.
  10. Darth_Zoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with Vaderbait.

If FOX, and Lucas market the hell out of Epi. 3 and the film is as good if not better than AotC then Ep. 3 has a big chance to gross $400m. If not then it will do a little better than AotC with around $300m
  11. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    It's more than likely Episode 3 will gross more than AOTC, but no more than TPM.

My prediction is $350 million.
  12. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If FOX, and Lucas market the hell out of Epi. 3 and

They don't even have to do that. It'd be nice if they did more than just annouce the release date for the movie. :p
  13. MadMardigan Force Ghost

star 4
    They don't even have to do that. It'd be nice if they did more than just annouce the release date for the movie.

And they barely even did that for AOTC.
  14. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah, the press release was all in shorthand:

SW2 AOTC rel. M.16 B ther.

:p
  15. NiktosRule Jedi Master

star 4
    It will be one of the highest ever just because it will easily make more than $250 million. It won't pass TPM though.
  16. DARTH_ZELIG Jedi Knight

Here's something to consider that could hamper Episode III's box-office draw:

It has been rumored that George Lucas will only allow Episode III to be played in theaters with digital projectors. If that is true, and the nation's theaters still aren't rushing out to get digital projection systems by 2005, then the film won't gross much at all.

Has anyone heard anything else on Lucas' position?
  17. DARTHMAULDER Jedi Master

star 1
    If inflation is adjusted, Gone With the Wind will be the highest. ANH second.

In my opinion, it would not tank in othe BO coz I think III will much likely be just for the fans. People who haven't watched any of the star wars movies will not appreciate the story of 3. and I'm satisfied with that thought. After 3 i'll just wipe my tears, give Lucas a round of applause in the cinema and in my mind thank Lucas for this gift to us humans... It's Star Wars friends...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.