main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could EP3 ruin the whole Saga?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Karate_Kid, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karate_Kid

Karate_Kid Jedi Master

Jul 13, 2002
    I have read several places where Lucas has stated things to the effect that he thinks that EP3 will be the least favorite among fans due to the darkness of the movie. Usually when I hear that, the fan boy in me shrugs it off and thinks that it will rock and be one of the best in the Saga. But lately I've been wondering, what if Lucas is telling us the truth and he's going to put something in it that makes the fans want to walk out and demand their money back. What do you gus think? Do you think that Lucas is exagerating or do you think that he might really the movie so bad that fans will hate it and possibly ruin the entire saga? What could Lucas do that would ruin it for you?

2. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    You're focusing on the negative. ;)

I think he simply means that the tone will be a lot darker than the other films, so it won't resemble the more lighthearted TPM or ANH. He predicts that this will mean less profits, as the kids won't really want to see it over and over again, and that some fans may not like the darker mood. I don't think he means that there is a twist or anything like that which would disgust fans.

Cometgreen

3. Ryankelly

Ryankelly Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2003
    Not at all. EpIII is the movie I have been waiting for the most. It fills in the answer to the biggest question I have had.What makes Anakin turn to the dark side? It also shows what happens to the jedi, padme, the twins and how the emperor came to power. It is the final piece to a puzzle, you can't finish the saga without it.

4. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Episode III ruin the saga? I daresay that it will do exactly the opposite. :D

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I have read an interview where he said that EpIII will be the least(commercially) successful episode in the saga.
    I think he just means that it won´t have as many new characters, ships and gizmos as the others. It will feel like a mere continuation of AOTC, which will probably mean that kids won´t enjoy it as much as they enjoyed TPM and AOTC.

6. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    No it can't ruin the whole sage, just the PT. The OT can stand on its own.

7. CCK

CCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    no way it will ruin it! i'm hoping this is one of the greatest star wars yet! when he says people won't like it because it's dark, i think it'll be the opposite-i think the people WANT it to be dark! how can he tell the story of anakin turning to the darkside and not make it darkest star wars yet? can't wait!!!

8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Episode 3 could possibly be the best in the Saga. There is no way it can ruin the saga and just because it's dark, doesn't mean fans won't like it. Remember most Star Wars consider ESB to be the best installment in the saga so far and it's the darkest.

9. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Do you think that Lucas is exagerating or do you think that he might really the movie so bad that fans will hate it and possibly ruin the entire saga?
    Some fans are going to feel the saga is(already?) ruined...because the developments of PT are not what THEIR expectations were. I doubt very much that GL would make any movie with the purpose of turning fans away.

I think it was a fair warning to the general public that this movie may not have the kind of draw that general audiences will want to see it multiple times. By warning people that Episode III is going to be "dark" is admitting that non-fans will not understand/like the fact that Palpatine and Co. are going to come out on top...that the jedi order "are all but extinct" and that Hayden/Anakin is about to do some really bad things!

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    How bad can those things get? Don't you think there's a point at which the fans themselves might find Anakin (or of course Palpy) repulsive and not enjoy the movie as a result?

Just to play devil's advocate.

11. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Oh right, and let me just remind people that this is the same GL who said that TPM wouldn't do more than, what was it, 200 million? Something around that anyway.

Cometgreen, who is all ready excited for EpIII

12. anakin2lordvader

anakin2lordvader Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2003
    Lucas just means alot of people will die anakin will turn bad republic will fall ect....It'll be dark cause it'd the "dark times"

13. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    the ONLY thing that could possibly ruin the saga for me is if nute gunray is somehow a sith lord and is the emperor in the OT, but other than that, its ALL good! :cool:

14. MotElliott

MotElliott Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2002
    Yes. Yes it could...

It could also make the sega though...

15. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    It could also make the sega though...

It'd be awesome if it made the Sega. I love my old Sega Genesis. The Sonic games rocked the house.

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Hard to tell the future is, always in motion.

I think that ESB is the darkest and most popular film of the OT, if EP3 can capture that same tone it should be good.

It could ruin the Saga if GL loaded it down with gungans and ewoks, that is the only thing that I could think of that would really piss me off.

17. DarthThodaBureg

DarthThodaBureg Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2003
    Episode 3 will revive the franchise.

18. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Ep. III cannot ruin the entire Saga, no matter how bad it is. The OT can stand on its own as a great story, though RotJ would be left lacking a little without a great backstory. Even so, it would work.

However, Ep. III could ruin the PT. I don't expect that to happen, though.

19. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Could EP3 ruin the whole Saga?

:confused: *scratches head*

Nah.

20. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    theres no way this will ruin the saga, its the pivotal movie of the entire saga, everything SW hinges on this movie, no way it could be bad, too much to tell.........

21. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Nope. Won't happen. It will make it all better.

22. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Between the Special Editions and the two prequel installments, some would say that the saga has already been ruined but the OT will stand fine on its own irregardless of Episode III which is already getting out of control in the hype department.

23. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Given the (in my opinion) artistic success of TPM and AOTC, my hopes are high for ep. 3. But I have thought that if anything can really ruin the movie, then it would have to be the pacing. Given the amount of material that needs to be covered, I dread a movie that will feel too rushed. I wish Lucas would allow this movie to go beyond the 2hr10min limit. I want a movie that takes its time and doesn't feel rushed.

24. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    Don't you think there's a point at which the fans themselves might find Anakin (or of course Palpy) repulsive and not enjoy the movie as a result?

For me, yes. This is a fear of mine about EPIII. I happen to like the character of Anakin very much, and I've loved Darth Vader since 1980. I've always been curious as to how Vader got the way he did, what motivated him, what happened to him. I've gotten some of the answer in the PT so far, but EPIII will be the whole story. One of the things that could happen in EPIII to completely and utterly repulse me about Vader; if he kills Padme it would pretty much ruin DV for me and in turn, I would see the OT differently. Or if he turns out to be abusive to her in any way, hitting her or beating her, I'll be crushed as well. Vader had a kind of class and honor about him, even though he strangled his own officers for a living :D. That class and honor would dissipate for me :(. It would make a sham of TPM and AotC too, since I really believe that he loved her very much in those two films and would never hurt her.

Palps, well, I love to hate the man, I don't think there's anything he could possibly do to make me hate him more! ;) But that's the fun of the character!

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think perhaps he's referring to 'fans' in a more loose way, as in anyone who sees the movies. A lot of people go and see SW movies (obviously), many who just want to see a cool, fun movie. I don't think this movie will really be 'fun' in the classic SW sense. I think it will be more deep. I think it will be a film that has developements that require you to really think about things from the whole saga- something that the casual 'fan' might not really comprehend. Thus, they might see it as having too much backstory and etc. for them to just enjoy on a casual level.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.