main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could EP3 ruin the whole Saga?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Karate_Kid, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconic

Iconic Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    No. It should fit in perfectly.

2. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    I've been waiting for EpisodeIII forever!
    Find out what happens to the Jedi how Yoda and Obi-Wan survive?
    Why Anakin goes to the Dark Side?
    What happens to Dooku?
    What's Padme doing during this?
    Where's my buddy R2-D2 through out this?

3. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I guess it could ruin the saga, but I don't think that would happen unless Lucas was trying to make the movie ruin it. And even then it would be very difficult to do. :p

Based on my feelings of AOTC, I think this is going to be a very good movie, and perhaps even the best. The only thing it could do to the saga is make it better.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    *bump*.

It's still theoretically possible, but from everything I've seen and read, this is going to be IT.

This is the big one. This is the one we've allllllll been waiting for!

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I've always thought that Lucas was bearing ESB in mind when he talks about Ep3 being the lowest-grossing. After all, despite it's unofficial status as Saga favourite for most SW fans, ESB made the least amount of money in the States ($290m). Maybe he feels the same thing will happen with Ep3. Losing that kiddy-friendly market often impacts heavily on your grosses.

Also, as someone pointed out, Lucas usually low-balls his estimates. I think he said $250m for TPM, $200m for AOTC. I guess he'll be happy if Ep3 passes $150m this time or something ;)

But as for what's in the film itself, it would have to feature some pretty staggeringly bad things to ruin it for me. Jar Jar being the one to 'kill' Anakin, Palpatine being Chewbacca's uncle and so on... :p

6. Obi-Bob

Obi-Bob Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 1999
    E3 will only ruin the saga by the other movies paling in comparison to it.

7. Tee-Sin_Quay

Tee-Sin_Quay Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    I dont think so.

Besides for some "fans" the Saga is already ruined anyway.

But not for me :) , Episode 3 will be the culmination in a journey I started 5 years ago, and it'll be, in a positive way, one of the saddest experiences...not only will I witness the dark turning of my favourite character butI'll be seeing the last ever Star Wars film.

8. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    It WILL ruin the saga...because after it comes out, there will be no more Star Wars!

Seriously, though, it should only solidify things. But, there is one possible way that he could sink the whole saga, and that is if the dialogue, directing, or acting of the 'Turn' and 'The Duel' are handled poorly. If it is cheesy or silly or not handled right, it could ruin things. Like for example the love story in AOTC...it served its purpose, but it was done pretty badly. If Anakin's fall isn't handled better than that, we could be in for trouble.

But Lucas has always handled dark and bad better than light and fluffy, so I have hope.

9. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I agree with what's been said. Ep 3 will probably be well liked among us fanboys and fangirls, but for the casual fans who enjoyed the lightheartedness of ANH, it might be too much to handle. The plot is a lot more complex than that of the OT, which may discourage people from seeing it.

But I personally think it's gonna kick 7 kinds of ass and give them all atomic wedgies. The only thing that makes me nervous is if George felt the need for the movie to have some sort of big 'twist', i.e., Obi-Wan being a clone or Anakin not really being Vader or something silly like that. Not only would it effect the PT, but the OT as well, and everything that the viewer sees. Everything else is fair game, I suppose. I'm just really looking forward to seeing it. :)

10. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Hmm...good call, Goofy.

There doesn't need to be any big twist - the downfall of the Republic and the Jedi Order and Anakin's fall to the Dark Side will be quite enough to digest without getting too bizarre.

I also am wary, mostly of Lucas' editing, I'm sorry to say - I loved AOTC, but there were a few moments that were pretty poorly edited - specifically (on a minor level), the very beginning of the Obi-Wan/Jango fight on Kamino, and particularly the Obi-Wan/Dooku and Anakin/Dooku hangar duels.

I hope The Duel isn't edited to death. Anything else I can live with. ;)

11. will_stan

will_stan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2004
    I think that As long as lucas is careful and dosen't go back to jar-jar or uses chewie as a replacement, it should be fine. As for the darkness and length of it, I feel that LotR had a pretty good market, even though it was dark and was 3 1/2 hours long. (I think, I don't know the official time, but it was pretty long.)

12. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I think that Ep3 will just seem really dark because it will end on a major downer. We will probably sort of be able to compare it to ESB but I think it will be even darker at the end than that. At the end of ESB we at least have a glimmer of hope in that Lando and Chewie are going off to rescue Han. I bet that at the end of Ep3 we will be left with nothing but gloom and doom. That's why Ep4 is called "A New Hope" because at the end of ep3 it will feel totally "hopeless".

I am personally really looking forward to it. :D

13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    There will be hope at the end of EpIII - the twins. The future of the galaxy, though, will probably feel more uncertain than it does at the end of TESB, since TESB is actually not at all very much about galactic matters. 3/4 of the film is about the main characters only.

14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Good point, Lars.

One of the things I'm most interested in for Episode III is how the the personal/galactic themes and conflicts will play out.

Sidious/Palps succeeds both on a personal level against the Jedi (revenge of the Sith) and on a galactic level (ruling the GFFA).

Bail Organa is involved both personally and galactically - as a Senator and he somehow gets involved with Padme, Obi-Wan, and the twins, and raises Leia.

Obi-Wan and Anakin are heroes of the Clone Wars and yet get involved in the most personal of Duels.

I'm sure there's other examples, those are just a few that sprung to mind.

There's a lot of close personal relationships that will have to be dealt with, yet the Birth of an Empire will have to be shown as well.

It's going to be intense, because it should theoretically have the "epic" scale of ANH and the ROTJ finale over Endor, and yet have the personal issues/failures/betrayals/conflicts of ESB.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. :D

15. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    One potential way Lucas could blow it (in my mind) with Ep III is to get worried about the overall darkness of the film and try to somehow Ewokize it. If he gets too worried about the toy-buying masses being turned off, he could try to inject some sort of lighthearted storyline to soften the blow.

He needs to run with it...make it dark and creepy throughout. ROTJ had some of the most dramatic and dark moments of the OT, but the Ewoks ruined it. The same could happen with EP III if he tries to lighten some portions of the story. For example, I can watch the throne room scenes in ROTJ a million times without losing interest. But the intercutting of Ewoks on gliders completely ruins the impact of the epic confrontation on (and around) the Death Star. Lucas needs to make sure not to pull the same stunt on Ep III. If Anakin and Obi-Wan's tension-filled duel is intercut with some moronic storyline about C-3PO losing his head, it could completely ruin the auru surrounding Anakin's fall.

16. USTommie

USTommie Jedi Master star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    I don't think it'll ruin the whole saga for the fans who grew up with movies 4-6 and are experiencing 1-3 now. I think the potential is there for EpIII to lessen the impact of the OT for those who watch it from TPM to ROTJ. I'm not saying it will, but I could definitely see it as a possibility.
    Having said that, I think this movie does have a lot to answer, between the questions brought up in the PT and making the seamless transition to the OT. I couldn't agree more with stormcloud8 about GL possibly ruining it by "Ewokizing" it. While I didn't despise the Ewoks as much as some (although I admit they are pretty lame now), if GL does include some inane storyline about Threepio losing an appendage, it would definitely hurt the movie.
    Thinking about this a bit more, I think GL will probably have the driods' memory wiped be the main thing that happens to them in EpIII. TPM and AOTC showed way, WAY too much of the artificial life-partners as comic relief. I didn't find their antics funny at all, and GL has to understand the significance of keeping the mood of EpIII dark. There are a number of reasons to look forward to EpIII, and none of them include the droids.
    Getting back on topic, I did start a similar thread in the EpIII SA Board (before the spoilers came rolling in )called "Episode III will likely be a disappointment" and was savaged for it. I'm glad to see people here aren't relegated to attacking someone who simply raises a different point of view. In my opinion, EpIII will redeem the PT from mediocrity and fans will be happy with the (assumed) conclusion of the SW saga.

17. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    But I personally think it's gonna kick 7 kinds of ass and give them all atomic wedgies.
    Ha! I like that one.

And no big twists - it's official. Well, according to Grilled's handy Ep3 FAQ anyway ;)

if GL does include some inane storyline about Threepio losing an appendage,
    lol...remember Threepio spends a large chunk of ESB in bits? ;)
    And when he loses that arm in ANH?
    Come to think of it, ROTJ is about the only film where he stays in one piece...even in TPM he didn't have his plating on...and his entire role in ESB is purely comic relief...

Oh, and, pardon my feeble lack of knowledge here...but who's Villar? Don't think I've heard that name before. Dorja I know.

18. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    For some reason, the 3PO dismemberments in the PT feel a lot more juvenile and foolish than the ones in the OT. The whole battle droid head swap thing was funny the first time, but I cringe when I watch it now.

Hopefully he'll realize the importance of making this film grim, and leave out the silliness.

Actually, I take that back...it is inevitable that Lucas won't be able to resist some juvenile comic relief in the movie. He seems rather addicted to it at this point. But, as long as he keeps it in the beginning, and not in the latter half of the film, he should be OK. The last third of the movie (at least) should be sad and tragic.

19. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    The only way that EP3 can ruin the whole saga is if Lucas does not include an Eopie fart in the final duel. If that is not in the final duel I will walk out of the film and never watch SW again.

20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Hmm...didn't Threepio lose an eye onboard Jabba's pleasure barge in ROTJ? ;)

I know what you mean about the comic relief.

I actually really like Threepio's comic scene in the droid factory - it makes me laugh every time I watch it.

Where I thought Lucas went overboard is in the Geonosis Arena - with all of the puns.

It doesn't bug me that much, but it was definitely a stretch.

I personally can't see Threepio having a huge role in Episode III, but maybe that's just me.

I doubt there will be too much comic relief - everyone has been talking about how dark it is.

What I'm more worried about is (a) some cheeseball explanation for some of the questions I want answered, and (b) Lucas trying too hard to tie the PT to the OT.

21. USTommie

USTommie Jedi Master star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    I too think GL will feel he should put in some comic relief in the movie, but I agree it should be in the first half, not the second half. The second half should be more serious. How angry would everyone be if GL tried to use Threepio as comic relief by having Anakin/Vader cut him to pieces and wipe his memory himself? That would make about as much sense as the "Jedi Rocks" scene in ROTJ *shudder*
    This movie should be the most mature, because it is dealing with the fall of the main hero of the PT. Lucas draws heavily from mythology - I don't remember mythological stories needing comic relief in the middle of the most emotional part of the story!! No one laughed when they found out that Oedipus had been sleeping with his mom...okay, when my friends and I read that in high school we did find that funny. But my point is still there - GL has the power to make it the greatest or the worst of all the movies. For the umpteenth time, we are at his mercy.

DamonD, Villar is one of the characters you recruit in the Rebellion video game when you're playing as the Empire. I don't even know if he and Dorja show up anywhere else in the EU, but my friend and I think they're the dumbest looking characters we've ever seen.

22. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Yes, Episode III could very well ruin the saga or at least the PT.
    As for me my biggest fear is that GL pulls out a stupid twist or if Anakin's fall is unbelievable. If he's like, hey I want more power let's fall to the dark side and fight with Obi Wan I guess I'm going to be a little disappointed. But apart from that I can't see him doing anything seriously wrong. After all we already know more or less what's going to happen.

23. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Could EP3 ruin the whole Saga?

I'd say quite the opposite -- it has the greatest potential to save the whole saga.

24. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Is it just me or did Lucas say that AOTC would be a dark, dark film which some fans may not like.....I think I remember GL saying that.

His comment on EIII comes from a whole lot of heroes being killed in the film. Maybe the children won't like it. But I have to say I can't wait. Palpatine will be at his best! Old characters will return! More lightsabers! Anakin vs Obi-Wan! The birth of the twins! Some classic droid comedy! New Yoda lines to quote!

Can it get any better.
    It is my opinion that after E3, I will love the prequels even more (if that is possible). It will bring the whole thing togehter. It will complete the whole thing.

Seldon

25. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    How could Ep3 ruin it? Why because it's dark and sad. Not all movies can have happy endings. I'll probably enjoy it more because I like it when the bad guys win. I want to see the rise of the empire, the destruction of the jedi. And the best of all, Anakin turning to the Dark Side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.