main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Episode III overshadow the OT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by kingthlayer, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Do you people think it will damn the OT? I mean, the ultimate lightsaber duel mid-saga doesn't leave much to hope for in the OT. People wanting a space battle bigger than ROTJ's will make the end of the saga seem anti-climactic. Do you think the story reaches it's climax? The Empire takes over, Anakin is turned. All this leaves for the OT is loose ends to tie up.

What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT: There aren't my real opinions, just to note. Don't come in here blasting, just post what you think.

2. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Good question there gf, it depends i guess upon who GL is making the movie for, if it is for us who have grown up with it, than no, but if he is doing it for the kids then maybe.
    But haven't we been spoiled already as we know where the movie will end up, we just want to know the how & why?

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I also think that you made great points gf but, I look at it this way.

It may overshadow the OT in terms of battles but, it won't in the terms of story.

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

4. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    It may overshadow the OT in terms of battles but, it won't in the terms of story.

Frankly, I don't think the storyline's relevant. The OT has a fairly straightforward storyline whereas the PT's is more complex. It's almost comparing apples and oranges. You don't have all the foreshadowing and subplots in the OT that exists in the PT.

Why I don't think Episode III will 'overshadow' the OT is that the OT is quite simply, far more memorable. The PT may have all the sweet stuff, but the OT has all the magic.

5. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think it'll depend on what order the person views the movies in. I mean, all of us have see the OT before the PT, so everyone has a soft spot for it. To us, the OT sets the standard of the Star Wars 'feel'.

However, to people who watch the movies in order, starting with TPM, the PT sets the tone for the series. I think it will be really interesting to see the reactions of those people, as they may not like the OT at all. Simpler story, weaker lightsaber fights, that sort of thing. Not to say any of the OT is bad, it's just different. People starting with the PT may not like the change.

6. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    It all depends on a "certain point of view" if you'll excuse the pun.

This is a great topic for discussion GF. Some of us older fans will always respect the OT for its impact. I'm sure EPIII will have the greatest special effects, but the real challenge for Mr. Lucas will be to bring the prequels and the ending together. While we all know how the saga ends, there are still mysteries to be resolved and hopefully a few surprises to be experienced.

7. vikingjedi1

vikingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Episode III should be a good movie and it will bring everything together, but it wont even come close to the OT in the eyes of the people who grew up watching Star Wars.

You cant improve perfection.

8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Nope I don't believe it would. Both trilogies have been made completely differently and I think the OT will always be superior.

9. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    i am not trying to be troublesome, or to antagonize anyone, but how exactly is the OT simpler than the PT?

Just a question so that i may see you opinions.

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I do see your point about the storyline being irrelevant. I still think that Ep3 will overshadow the OT in terms of SFX. I actually now think that they will be incomparible in story as Jedi Greg Maddux said.

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

11. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    It won't overshadow the OT. I think.

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, the OT has stood for a couple decades now. If people can still like them after all this time, I think they'll still be great even after the spectacle promised in Ep3.

13. Ice Jedi

Ice Jedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    well. As far as complexity of story line goes, if you read into the OT, i feel it is as complex as the PT, the struggles of Luke and Anakin are quite similar... not knowing what to do, they both look to OB1 for help and such.

As for overshadowing, I have to agree with whoever said that "people who never saw the OT, and is starting with the PT will feel that the PT overshadows it." Mostly it will go for all the little little kids and even people who haven't been born at the time Ep3 comes out. The SFX are definatly going to be superior cause it is over 25 years after ANH.

I do think however that the OT will last longer than the PT, simply because the OT was new, it had a fresh start and it revolutionized film as we know it.

--Ice Jedi--
    take a chance!

14. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Also, look at the similarities in the PT movies and the OT. Their plots are similar. Won't the OT feel redundant if Lucas tries to make EpIII mirror the OT again?

EDIT: Great responses, thanks! :)

15. Darth_Goofy

May 8, 2001
    i am not trying to be troublesome, or to antagonize anyone, but how exactly is the OT simpler than the PT?

I suppose I mean it in the way that in the OT it's very black and white. Rebels = Good, Empire = Bad. Luke = Good, Emperor = Bad. The only character who ever changes motives is Vader. Everyone else has a clearly established side and motive.

In the PT, it's more muddled. For example, in the OT, the bad guys wanna blow up planets. Simple, right? In the PT, the bad guys, who are never even know to the protagonists, want to manipulate senators into passing laws to remove people from office, create armies while pretending to oppose them, trick people into giving them more and more power, start a war while pretending they're against it, all while trying to get a very talented Jedi to come work for them. And we don't even know if the good guys are really good! Who ordered the Clone Army? Who's to say Mace isn't a traitor? That sort of thing.

In the PT, you need to know about 10 different things to get the idea of what the bad guys (who we very rarely even see) are trying to accomplish. In the OT, all you have to see is them blowing up Alderaan to get the idea of their deal.

That's the way I see it, at least. :)

16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The PT's visual effects will overshadow the OT's easily but I think that's all it can do.

17. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    In the PT, you need to know about 10 different things to get the idea of what the bad guys (who we very rarely even see) are trying to accomplish. In the OT, all you have to see is them blowing up Alderaan to get the idea of their deal.

Yeah, but that's the problem you get when people try to keep the PT and OT permanently seperated.

When it's all just Star Wars, in 6 parts, then it becomes perfectly clear who the bad guys are just before the halfway point. It's really not a problem that first-time viewers would have.

18. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    No, I think they will all meld in together as one, big, beautiful film. [face_love]

19. oLiquidRusho

oLiquidRusho Jedi Master star 2

May 8, 2002
    A good question, personally I don't think it will, nor should it. Its a one piece, but even as viewed as seperate parts, there's no way. It would have to be damn good and then some. For me, its quite possible for it to be the best, as this is the meat of the prequels coming up. But I'm open-minded. For a person who's watched them since childhood and remains a purist, forget it. It may be good to them, they may like it, but in no way will it overshadow all three movies of the OT for them. For the kids? Well, kids already like AOTC or TPM better than most of the OT. I'm sure there a lot of children who may like the OT better, but in my experience right now, to them they've grown an attachment to the Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme characters.

Historically though, Episode III can NEVER EVER overshadow OT. Never. The Original was way too revolutionary to be forgotten. Episode III would have to introduce some kind of self-immersing special fx where you feel the heat of the laser blasts or some cockeemania like that, in order to overshadow the original SW.

20. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    When has a movie EVER overshadowed the movie that came first?

Even in the case of ESB, which many people believe is better than the SW made before it, it's not as if ANH was "overshadowed".

I don't think the OT has anything to worry about.

I do think that the effects, cinematography, production design and style of the PT kicks the OT's butt six ways to Sunday, but the OT has advantages as well. It all works out.

Rick McCallum loves you!

21. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    the PT is more complicated than the OT, and its that intrigue and all the subplots that make me like the PT better

22. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Which brings up the old question...when you show the 6 movies to children 20 or 30 years from now, what order do you play them in...OT first or PT first...

23. Ice Jedi

Ice Jedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    PT first... cause i want to see how they react. It would be more like a science experiment for me.

--Ice Jedi--
    Crewl and unusual... maybe

24. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The presentation of events and facts in Episode III (particularly regarding the Skywalker family tree) will determine for me what order I show the films to newbies.

NOT my opinion of the quality of the films.

At present it looks like I'm going OT first, PT second, but Episode III will really have the final word on what order is best, to preserve THE surprise.

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. Darth_Goofy

May 8, 2001
    Someone on the boards once came up with the idea to show them 1,4,2,5,3,6. I think that makes a lot of sense, actually, if you want to preserve the surprises of all the movies.

It'd probably be confusing as hell to the viewer, though. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.