main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Episode III overshadow the OT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by kingthlayer, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rastafarian_Jedi

Rastafarian_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    Myself, and many others I'm acquainted with are all in agreeance about viewing the Star Wars trilogy the classic way... Old trilogy first. So, your idea doesn't really apply to me... or anyone else who prefers it that way. I mean, come on, if we're talking in terms of messing up a climax, lets talk the Vader VS Luke scene on Cloud City. What kind of effect would the "...No...I am your father" scene have on your kids if they've seen the PT first? Just my thoughts. Its my humble opinion that the classic trilogy is Star Wars, and the PT? Just some filler to explain the story in more detail to those who care. But, I mean, hey...I'm one of those.

2. FlyinSolo

FlyinSolo Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2003

Ep.III is one part of a six part story. I'm sure it'll have it's points of high drama like the other films, but I don't think they'll act to "overshadow" anything. They should bridge the two trilogies together. I think if we look at it from this perspective then everything should work fine and we ought to be able to start with the beginning(TPM) and finish at the end (JEDI) without feeling one part overshadowed the others, despite the fact that the way the movies were made changed over 20+ years.

3. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    The prequels won't overshadow anything. It will just add onto the Classic Trilogy like it's supposed to. All of it is StarWars, but theprequels, once they're all done, will will do what it's supposed to do and tell us the answers to some of the questions that the OT gave us. But neither trilogy will overshadow the other.

My $0.02.

4. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    What kind of effect would the "...No...I am your father" scene have on your kids if they've seen the PT first?

this seems to be the favorite argument against the PT

but you seem to forget that there's a MUCH bigger plottwist in the works

Anakin Turning Evil :0 :0

Palpatine Being Sidious :eek: :eek:

the Republic becoming the Empire & Turning against the Jedi :eek: :eek:

like it or not, those events are AT LEAST as important for the movies/galaxy than the ESB revelation

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Palpatine being Sidious is a "much bigger plot twist"?

When you see that Palpatine is actually a clone, then you'll be surprised.

I too wish my offspring/future generations to view the movies the way I did - OT then PT.

As far as Episode III goes, I think it could become the greatest stand-alone movie of all six films, just for pure emotion and adrenaline.

But at the most, it will make the PT into its "own" trilogy and will have a slight impact on the way we view the OT.

I cannot see it overshadowing Empire or ROTJ.

6. Rastafarian_Jedi

Oct 9, 2003
    The revelation of Vader being Lukes father is a favored argument in the above debate because...well...it was the first real plot twist of Star Wars. The one that most fans can remember as quiet the shocking theatrical moment. So, of course its going to be a big reason most fans favor watching the Old Trilogy first. That moment in ESB was meant to grip the audience or viewer into awe. From what I've heard, it worked...So why spoil that moment? Heh, s'all I'm saying. But, hey, if you feel that watching the rise of the Empire and what not has a higher level of importance, thats great. Each to his/her own, I suppose. Its just that, in my whacked out perspective, I see both trilogys as seperate portions of a story. And the Old trilogy just happens to be the more important part.

For some reason individuals have the idea that the order in which the movies flow determine which parts more important. If that were true, Return of the Jedi probably should have been a more spectacular film. Ah, I guess what I'm trying to say is... Episode III won't overshadow the old triology. The old trilogy is the necessity of the films. It doesn't matter how great the PT is... the new films cannot stand alone. They need the OT... and in my humble opinion, the OT doesn't need them.

7. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    It doesn't matter how great the PT is... the new films cannot stand alone. They need the OT... and in my humble opinion, the OT doesn't need them.

then the same can be said for the Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi

A New Hope is Star Wars

Menace, Clones, Empire & Jedi are all additions

8. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    i thought we were talking about how new generations will watch the Saga, someone brought up the ESB revelation, of course that is probably the biggest movie-moments we ever experienced but they won't have that, they'll have the most promising Jedi student slaughtering a Tusken Village first, him turning Dark first, everything turning Dark first, his Son becoming a Jedi, THEN the ESB revelation

as much as we like it or not, it just will not be THE event in Star Wars to them, it will be one of THE major events, face it

9. Rastafarian_Jedi

Oct 9, 2003
    What do you mean they won't have the ESB revelation first? Its all in coordinance to how the trilogies are viewed. By reading your post it sounds like you're saying every new generation of children are going to be forced to watch the trilogy from Episode 1 to 6... Thats just not true. I'm sure it will go both ways. And lets face it... some of us are going to make sure the movies are viewed the same way we saw them. ESB revelation first.... I just think the impact is better that way. Don't agree? Fine. But I just think it sucks to think the next generation of children will respond to the ESB revelation with the quote, "Well...um.. duh?" Y'think GL intended it that way?

10. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I could have sworn that I already replied to this thread. I guess the boards got hungry. :confused:

The PT will not overshadow the OT no matter how good Episode III is. The OT's legendary place in the history of film is secure (unless Lucas keeps messing with it :p ). If some one who has not seen any SW movie views the two trilogies for the first time by seeing them in the order that they are numbered, then although they will have a different perception of the OT than we do, I seriously doubt that they would feel dissapointed by them.

11. Rastafarian_Jedi

Oct 9, 2003
    Yup, to the above.

12. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    I just think the impact is better that way. Don't agree? Fine. But I just think it sucks to think the next generation of children will respond to the ESB revelation with the quote, "Well...um.. duh?" Y'think GL intended it that way?

GL intends for us to view the films as 1-6, the revelation is still huge because from the superb performance from Mark Hamill it will never lose its touch, but for us it was the only Star Wars twist we got - they've got a bigger one: Anakin/the Republic turns evil

i understand what you're saying but it's just not that hard to realize Anakins fall is/will be bigger than his revelation to Luke

people in the modern world TODAY of course don't feel the same cause we have grown up knowing Anakin will fall without seeing the prequels, but our children(childrens children...) don't/won't have that

that doesn't necessarily mean it will overshadow the OT cause the Luke/Vader confrontations are still superior to any of those from the Prequels, THAT will never change(unless III is REALLY good)

13. Rastafarian_Jedi

Oct 9, 2003
    I get your meaning. In certain terms, yes, the Fall of the Republic and rise of Vader and the Emperor will be "bigger" than the ESB Revelation. I was just looking at it from the standpoint of suprise. For instance, we already knew that the Republic went evil and already knew that Anakin fell to the darkside. Even without the Prequels these things are understood... Nothing is really a suprise. So, of course, Lucas, probably sensing this lack of mystery, has thrown a few curve balls into this new trilogy.... they're still insignificant when it comes to the OT, but... hey, they make the PT interesting.

Bah, all 'n' all I'm just basically saying that the Old Trilogy has the stronger story, and the "revelations" of this new trilogy were already obvious, and are just being amplified with the new ones.... The Old Trilogy is the backbone, leaving it un-shadowed....

After thinking about it, however, I suppose even the obvious can have an equal impact as the unobvious. I mean, we all know Anakin turns, and that the Republic falls... but... its been really fun to watch it all fall into place. Its just that you can predict most aspects of the new trilogy...those that need predicting anyway, but as far as the old trilogy, who saw the events of ESB coming? Bah. I do agree about the old trilogies lack of twist though... The new ones are making up for that though, I suppose :) hah.

14. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    GL intends for us to view the films as 1-6, the revelation is still huge because from the superb performance from Mark Hamill it will never lose its touch, but for us it was the only Star Wars twist we got - they've got a bigger one: Anakin/the Republic turns evil

Not so, Obi-Fransthe revelation of fatherhood, is one of the two or three biggest shocks Hollywood as produced. The other two in mho are Janet Leigh dying so early on in Pyscho and the revelation that Kaiser Soze is Dean Keaton in the Usual Suspects (If you have never seen it, go out to the video store now and rent it).

And why are these so big, b/c no one saw it coming. With Anakin's turn, even if you have never scene the ot, you can tell it is coming w/ Yoda's worries in tpm, and Anakin's actions during aotc. I remember watching ESB in disbelief at the thought of Vader being Luke's dad, especially after what we were fed by Ben.

That is why ot>pt

15. Rastafarian_Jedi

Oct 9, 2003
    Exactly the point I tried to make in my previous post, Ghost_Jedi... Good to see I'm not completely insane. And...if it so happens that I am, then, I'm not alone.

16. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I think the OT story will prevent it from being overshadowed even though Episode III will be flashier and faster.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.