main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could Episode VII bring reincarnation into the Star Wars universe?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We thought we understood how the Force worked in the OT. Energy field, good side versus dark side, ghosts, telekinesis, mind tricks, mind reading, visions, lightning, Jedi, etc.

Then the PT brought the will of the Force, balance, prophecy, Sith, Chosen One, midichlorians, and the possibility of creating life and saving people from death.

With there being an Awakening, it seems our concept of the Force will continue to expand and be clarified. Could reincarnation possibly enter into this too?

B99 likes this.
  2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Hopefully not. I don't wanna see the Emperor Reborn... Or t Dragon Reborn or the Plagueis Reborn or Anakin 2.0 or any other such thing.

AmySolo, Seeher, Redimet and 5 others like this.
  3. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Possibly...but the reincarnation of who? I don't think Vader/Anakin will be back or the Emperor (I hope not)...but we may see the return of Darth Plagueis which is something I am not even going to hope for because I don't want to get any of my hopes up and be disappointed because the ST wasn't the way I imagined it should be...I don't want to fall victim to the "prequel syndrome" by doing so...yet at the same time I would definitely love to see that because Darth Plagueis was an amazing book and concept but I am totally aware that expecting him to appear would only invite disappointment...I just wonder if reincarnation does occur how will it be executed.. The same spirit in a different body? Or the same body returned from the dead like a zombie? Transporting the spirit into a clone body like the Emperor in Dark Empire? Reincarnation is definitely possible and you may be onto something here..

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Think of how Avatar The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra handled reincarnation. Something similar to that, not the actual character being reborn.

For example, Finn could be the reincarnation of Yoda or Padme for all we know. It's not the exact same character, but they could perhaps learn how to reconnect and communicate with their past life, after the Awakening.

I could definitely see Anakin being reincarnated. At least if you're the child of Vader, you're still your own person. Imagine learning your his reincarnation.

Or worse, imagine you're Poe Dameron, freedom fighter for the Rebels in a decades old war against the Empire... You have an Awakening... And realize you were Emperor Palpatine in a past life, and you can now hear his voice inside your head...

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If it's anybody I think it'll be Plagueis. Although I wouldn't mind Palpatine either.

Echo Base likes this.
  6. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    It's an interesting idea for sure, and I suppose it's within the realm of possibilities. However, reincarnation in a traditional sense, does not mesh with my understand of the Starwars universe, and I feel it could open the door for writers to constantly retread old characters rather than create new ones.

Again, it's just my understanding of the universe, so I could very well be wrong, but I think the idea that everyone returns to the physical world after death, would conflict with the themes we have seen before. The idea of the Sith clinging to the physical world because they fear there is nothing beyond death, and the idea of the Jedi passing on what they have learned, seems to become a bit of a weaker concept under that back drop in my opinion. It's very possible to make it work, but I feel it's an unnecessary story element to throw in the mix at this point.

I do think, however, that similar concepts could be used.

Questions like:
    "Can you Clone a Jedi, and if so, are they automatically force sensitive?"
    "Can someone come back or interact with the physical world after becoming a force ghost?"
    "If Darth Plagueis truly knew how to create life, could he find a way to recreate his own life?"

So, in a sense, I think a type of reincarnation could work within the universe, but not the normal way people think of it.

The biggest issue I would have with reincarnation in Starwars is the fact it would almost make anyone becoming a force ghost work against the force itself. If the "natural" flow of the force is to live, die, become one with the force, then be reincarnated and born again; then it would imply, Yoda should give up his identity and become reincarnated rather than remaining conscious within the force. This runs counter to what Qui-Gon seems to suggest, which is that the force wants those it deems worthy to retain their identity.

It also brings up a lot of story ideas I'm not a fan of. I don't want to see the whole chosen one thing, turned into the matrix or avatar. The idea that Anakin has had countless past lives and was potentially the chosen one in the distant past, makes the universe seem smaller rather than larger from my point of view.

I fear the temptation of bringing back Obi-wan, Anakin, Yoda and Sidious as reincarnations would be too hard for writers to resist and would inevitable lead the story backwards, rather than moving forward.

It's definitely an interesting and thought provoking idea, but not one I would want to see play out in the main story line.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Considering that the majority of EU Sith Lords are the same character with a different name...

DarthSheev likes this.
  8. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Anything is possible at this point. Reincarnation could be part of the ST.

Redimet, Echo Base and Alpha-Red like this.
  9. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I don't want to say it's a horrible idea because it isn't. But I do think reincarnation would introduce an unnecessary layer of metaphysics that the narrative doesn't really need. I'm not saying I want to see a slimmed down, bare bones good vs evil story in the ST but I see reincarnation as a level of complexity that would just distract people from the story being told.

AmySolo and Artoo-Dion like this.
  10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't want to see reincarnation. No need for re-births of people from the past.

AmySolo, Revanfan1 and Alien Vanguard like this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I wouldn't be against the idea. Actually I quite like the idea of the Force expanding into some crazy metaphysical areas that no one saw coming.

Echo Base and Salacious Crumbs like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That kind of veers into the evil clones angle.

Seeher likes this.
  13. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014

Sounds a little too abstract for me...particularily for a Star Wars film..

AmySolo likes this.
  14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    General Veers was a clone?

15. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I think it likely the focus on this force awakening also means they are thinking outside the box. I believe this new franchise is going to change things in a big way, and in order to do that i feel we have to unlearn what we have learned and expect to be blown away with the very heart of the story and view star wars and the force in a completely new way.

Bringing Plagueis into the story seems to me they run the risk of letting people down, Im open minded that they can pull it off as well but if they are really going to change things up in a big way why beholden to a character who might not live up to the expectations of serious Plagueis fans? When you can bring a new character that we know absolutely nothing about and no expectations are there- and bringing him into the film via reincarnation? I'll close my statement on that idea in a moment.

I think your first 2 paragraphs about an energy field that surrounds all living things (the one quote that stuck out back int eh 70's) and the balance of the force in the PT is a spot on approach to how Episode 7 might be approached. And youre right it probably will expand and clarify itself in new ways for us viewers and perhaps in a huge way as i mentioned in my first paragraph.

But im not sure about Reincarnation. Im on the fence about that though, Im ok with the idea while i hold reservations of it being utilized-its almost too easy you know? Not to mention if youre THAT awesome to reincarnate thats some pretty big boy pants to wear for any villian. But in a weak way...isnt that what yoda, ben, and anakin did, they came back as a spirit..thats a reincarnation of a sorts...so yes its possible, and no i dont think they will do it.

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think with the way Yoda tells us the way the Universe and the Force works that all things die and become part of the Force, whether they're part of the Force beforehand has never been explained but i'd expect that to be the cycle of life.

17. frozenheart

frozenheart Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2015
    I have this idea that the inquistors who survived the fall of the empire went into hiding to study the force and expand their knowledge. they believed that one day their leader, be it palpatine, vader or plageuis or someone else would be reborn and lead them to bringing peace to the galaxy.

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    They could but I don't think they will and I think it's for the best. I think with each generation they need new characters. Maybe a few generational characters to help bridge the trilogies but for the most part, each trilogy should be around a new central set of characters.

19. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Reincarnation is an interesting topic to talk about, but I don't want to see it. It just wouldn't feel like "Star Wars" to me.

AmySolo, EviL_eLF and Odolwa like this.
  20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Nooooooooo ! to reincarnation.....

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Looks like we may have to reincarnate this thread...

22. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I really don't feel that reincarnation is a Force related phenomenon. From what we've seen of some of those who are able become 'One with the Force' (i.e. those that die) are able to commune with the Living, but we've gotten no indication that means returning to life. We've also learned that 'death is a natural part of life', and that circumventing that natural process is 'considered to be...unnatural'. It's possible that the Sith may try to resurrect a dead individual, or create life...but we know also that that doesn't end well.
    I think it's more likely we'll get a look into the Netherworld of the Force, or see just exactly what those who have passed on experience and how they are able to affect the living and how the living effect the Force itself.

Immortiss likes this.
  23. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    [​IMG]
    YES. YES, IT COULD.

24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Thread's only a day old, and already needs to be reincarnated?

25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I really hope not, it would cheapen any death that happen in the movies and it could open the door to bringing back characters that should stay dead.....I can accept it happening in my comic books but I don't want it in my Star Wars movies!

AmySolo, Ricardo Funes and EviL_eLF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.