main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Kyp Durron defeat Darth Maul or Darth Vader?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mateo, Mar 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Not only is it unsupportable, it's extremely obscure. What kind of mind-altering substance would make a person ask such questions? Can I have some?

But seriously, both Darths would kick Kyp's keister. Cocky little runt needs to be taught a lesson...

2. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Vader would beat either of them.

Maul and Kyp...I don't really know, but I would be thrilled to see Kyp get sabered. Maybe just a hand or foot...get rid of some of that cokiness and attitude.

(Yes, I still can't stand him.)

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    aw, you just don't like Jedi who are in the right ;) :)

There is no such thing as a "force-less" saber fight when your a Jedi. Unless of course by force-less you mean no force push or other forms of intangible combat.

Yeah, basically

4. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I rarely root for evil. Unless it's evil that's trying to kill Kyp...

5. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    But he isn't evil :)

6. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Obi-Wan was a great swordsman, (according to Qui-Gon in the TPM novel), and he required a lucky break to take out Maul.

No, he didn't, "In my experience there is no such thing as luck." :)

Two reasons why luck is not an issue:

1) The force rules out the existence of luck. When circumstances in life seem to be in your favor it is not luck in the GFFA, it's just the force taking a nod towards you. Usually it's in favor of the light side.

2)secondly, luck is not a factor in a Jedi duel because it's always, "may the best man win." We don't take into account how this is achived, merely that it is achived. There is no dueling ediqutte. I mean, if two Jedi are allowed to take on one... well, that's pretty un fair, wouldn't you say?

7. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Reaper:

My disliking Kyp, at this point, is more of a personal thing than anything else. I have to admit that I can't really blame him for his actions, and a lot of things that you have said in the past have made me rethink my stance on his actions. (Not that I think he's completely in the right, but who is?)

I really just don't like him. He annoys me. It really stems from KJA, because I didn't like his JAT books at all, nor any of his others after, and Kyp is the embodiment of those works. Not really fair to Kyp, but since he's a fictional character, I don't feel too badly about it. ;)

8. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Hey, I dont have a problem with you not liking him. Just don't expect me to keep quiet :)

9. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    That would be like expecting a fire to stand still and not burn anything. ;)

10. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Obi-Wan was a great swordsman, (according to Qui-Gon in the TPM novel),

Of course, Qui-Gon is also one of the greatest Jedi swordsmen. And Anoon Bondara is THE greatest.

Obi-Wan, though, has the distinction of being the "last and greatest" of the Jedi Knights.

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Vader beats all.

12. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Vader could beat him, Maul would beat him, Ben with a binky saber could beat, ohhh I could beat him.

Oh Why can't they have a X-wing Vr, tie fighter game where you fight the vong?!!!

(sorry just had to get that off my cheast)

13. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Like the NJO Project for X-Wing Alliance?

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    New Jedi Order project?

15. Howlrunner

Howlrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2001
    If any of you have read posts I made under any Kyp related thread... You'll know just how much I truly despise him. Yes... I will still throw a party the day I read the book in which he dies. Anyone in the Denver area is invited.

That being said... I believe Kyp would best Darth Maul. Not out of any strength of Kyp's, mind you... Just basing that fact on what little I know of Maul. He's one of the best warriors in the galaxy, but he tends to underestimate his opponents. One slight miscalculation of Kyp's abilities on Maul's part would see Kyp win. Maul would make that miscalculation by underestimating him sometime during the fight. I hate Kyp with a holy passion, but I believe Maul would beat himself if he fought Kyp.

Vader on the other hand... Vader would destroy Kyp without breaking a sweat. Most people who side with Kyp cite the fact that Luke beat Vader before he was a Jedi. That statement is wrong. Fact is, at the beginning of RoTJ, Luke states in Jabba's Palace that he is a Jedi. Let's give Lucas a little credit here. If in the movie Luke says he's a Jedi... He's a Jedi. Moving along from there we get to Luke beating Vader. Vader was very seriously disadvantaged in his RoTJ battle with Luke. Luke had been working to turn Vader back from the Dark Side since he'd first surrendered, and part of Vader wanted to turn away from it. The last straw that broke Vader in that combat I believe, came from Luke's reaction to Vader's finding out about his sister, Leia. Luke crossed over to the Dark Side during that battle, make no mistakes about that. He embraced his aggression, his fear, his anger. When confronted by his son wielding the Dark Side out of love for his sister.. It broke Vader. He'd spent many years in the grip of the Dark Side and knew what price it took on those who wielded it. I believe he did not want to see his son pay that price. These are the events that led to Luke's defeat of Vader. Had none of this happened... it would have been a replay of the ESB battle, with Vader winning. None of these factors would figure into a fight with Kyp. Meaning that Vader would go into that battle with his full power. Kyp would stand no chance.

What's that? Kyp is faster than Vader? How do you know? Besides that one battle with Luke at the end of RoTJ, a battle in which he was not giving his full effort, we've not seen how fast he is. We've never seen him realy let lose. He fought as fast as he needed to to beat an older Obi-wan in ANH, and as fast as he needed to to beat Luke in ESB. How do you know Kyp is faster? Let's assume for a moment you're right. Big deal. Vader doesn't need speed to win. He is immensely stronger and more powerful in the Force, he has more experience that Kyp will have if he lives to be 6,000 years old... His speed would be a non-factor.

Next up is Vader's tiring easily. Nope. That dog won't hunt either. If you'll remember... his heavy breathing at the end of RoTJ did not start until after luke had severed his hand. His hand was mechanical and it's severing could easily have caused a feedback loop that eroded Vader's suit life support abilities. Check out Saxton's essay on Vader and his suit in the Tech Commentaries for an in depth analysis of why his suit failed at that particular time.

Kyp would stand absoutly no chance against Vader. It's just a simple fact if you look at all the evidence. Against Maul... Maul would beat himself and Kyp would come out more cocky than before thinking he had won on his own merits.

16. Howlrunner

Dec 25, 2001
    If any of you have read posts I made under any Kyp related thread... You'll know just how much I truly despise him. Yes... I will still throw a party the day I read the book in which he dies. Anyone in the Denver area is invited.

That being said... I believe Kyp would best Darth Maul. Not out of any strength of Kyp's, mind you... Just basing that fact on what little I know of Maul. He's one of the best warriors in the galaxy, but he tends to underestimate his opponents. One slight miscalculation of Kyp's abilities on Maul's part would see Kyp win. Maul would make that miscalculation by underestimating him sometime during the fight. I hate Kyp with a holy passion, but I believe Maul would beat himself if he fought Kyp.

Vader on the other hand... Vader would destroy Kyp without breaking a sweat. Most people who side with Kyp cite the fact that Luke beat Vader before he was a Jedi. That statement is wrong. Fact is, at the beginning of RoTJ, Luke states in Jabba's Palace that he is a Jedi. Let's give Lucas a little credit here. If in the movie Luke says he's a Jedi... He's a Jedi. Moving along from there we get to Luke beating Vader. Vader was very seriously disadvantaged in his RoTJ battle with Luke. Luke had been working to turn Vader back from the Dark Side since he'd first surrendered, and part of Vader wanted to turn away from it. The last straw that broke Vader in that combat I believe, came from Luke's reaction to Vader's finding out about his sister, Leia. Luke crossed over to the Dark Side during that battle, make no mistakes about that. He embraced his aggression, his fear, his anger. When confronted by his son wielding the Dark Side out of love for his sister.. It broke Vader. He'd spent many years in the grip of the Dark Side and knew what price it took on those who wielded it. I believe he did not want to see his son pay that price. These are the events that led to Luke's defeat of Vader. Had none of this happened... it would have been a replay of the ESB battle, with Vader winning. None of these factors would figure into a fight with Kyp. Meaning that Vader would go into that battle with his full power. Kyp would stand no chance.

What's that? Kyp is faster than Vader? How do you know? Besides that one battle with Luke at the end of RoTJ, a battle in which he was not giving his full effort, we've not seen how fast he is. We've never seen him realy let lose. He fought as fast as he needed to to beat an older Obi-wan in ANH, and as fast as he needed to to beat Luke in ESB. How do you know Kyp is faster? Let's assume for a moment you're right. Big deal. Vader doesn't need speed to win. He is immensely stronger and more powerful in the Force, he has more experience that Kyp will have if he lives to be 6,000 years old... His speed would be a non-factor.

Next up is Vader's tiring easily. Nope. That dog won't hunt either. If you'll remember... his heavy breathing at the end of RoTJ did not start until after luke had severed his hand. His hand was mechanical and it's severing could easily have caused a feedback loop that eroded Vader's suit life support abilities. Check out Saxton's essay on Vader and his suit in the Tech Commentaries for an in depth analysis of why his suit failed at that particular time.

Kyp would stand absoutly no chance against Vader. It's just a simple fact if you look at all the evidence. Against Maul... Maul would beat himself and Kyp would come out more cocky than before thinking he had won on his own merits.

17. Howlrunner

Dec 25, 2001

18. Howlrunner

Dec 25, 2001

19. Howlrunner

Dec 25, 2001

20. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Jebas! Quintuple post right there! :) Clicking five times doesn't make the next screen come up any quicker! :D

As for me, I'll just say what almost everyone else has said, Kyp would beat Maul but get creamed by Vader.

Just to be the devil's advocate. . .how do we know that all of the jedi killed by Vader in the great jedi purge were killed in legitimate one-on-one battles? There could have been treachery involved, ambush, all kinds of sith magic tricks. I dunno, just thought I'd throw that out. I would just find it very hard to believe that one man could wipe out everyone in a straight fight. He's not Jackie Chan, he's only Darth Vader! ;)

Jae Angel

21. _Mitthrawnuruodo_

_Mitthrawnuruodo_ Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2001
    Kyp Durron would be no match for Darth Vader. Vader hunted down and killed many Jedi Knights during the Emperor's reign, and I am certain there were at least a few as powerful as Kyp. Vader, as we all know, is Anakin Skywalker. The prequals are building him up to be the baddest man on the block. Kyp may or may not have a close amount of raw power in the Force, but Vader had an understanding of it far beyond what Kyp's is. An aside; ever read the comic book "what if" where Vader meets Maul. Vader walks away and Maul doesn't.

However, I give the edge to Kyp over Maul. Maul was only an apprentice, hence why ObiWan was able to defeat him. Certainly Maul was a powerhouse, but he doesn't have the true understanding of either the Force or himself.

22. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
  23. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Maul probably, it'd be a realy cool lightsaber duel to see IMO.

Kypp beating Vader, not without the help of Exar Kun, IMO.

24. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    Well, that depends if he's got Exar Kun behind him. If so, he would wipe the floor with Maul, Vader, or Palpatine. If not, he would put up a good fight, but ultimately lose against all three.

25. Maverick15

Maverick15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2001
    C'mon guys, I like Vader as much as the next guy, but this is NJO Kyp we are talking about, not some sorry chump. I think Kyp would waste Vader and use his suit to make an air conditioner. You guys like to sze up matches by doing rock, paper, scissors, this guy beats that guy who beat this other guy so.., but that's not how stuff works out. But if I were to do that, I would consider whether NJO Kyp could defeat NJO Luke. Upon careful deliberation I find that this is likely so, and we also know that NJO Luke would destroy Vader therefore Kyp beats Vader. You have to realize that Vader was a walking dead man with a colostomy bag. You also have to realize that Kyp was so talented that the NR and Luke thought it outweighed his crimes. Now if you can imagine that talent...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.