main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could Luke die in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Drewdude91, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh I agree. I just think if it happens in VII, Luke will be the least likely.

2. Darth Drangus

Darth Drangus Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2014
    Luke dying in the first act would be too much "poetry" as GL would say. I think Han will bite the dust. If the rumors are true, Han may have the spotlight in terms of OT characters during Ep7. Then, Luke and Leia get the spotlight in Ep8 and Ep9 as the villain (presumably a force-user) comes out of the shadows. I think this is a likely approach for JJ to take. The new heroes will be the focus, but each of the Big 3 will get their due without overcrowding the films.

And what about seeing the villain mentor go down? That might be a much more interesting take. If we make a reasonable assumption that Driver is the apprentice of sorts to Max von Sydow (a likely scenario in my opinion), we could see the development of both hero and villain over the course of the trilogy.

Dak Oolron and TK327 like this.
  3. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    Very interesting, thus giving Driver a legitimate reason to go after Luke and/or Daisy (revenge). I like this.

I'm in the same boat, it's most likely to be Han, if it has to be someone. Luke needs to train the newbies for a while, and Leia's character is potentially useful to tell the political aspect of the story (which we seem to be getting if the Republic/Empire factions still exist). It's Star Wars, there are going to be politics (I know people don't like them), but at least we get Leia as our politician to make things interesting.

However, if Leia is taken out, she's not going out on her own. If Leia dies, Han goes down with her, or after her, avenging her or protecting their daughter. This is based on nothing but my own feeling it would be weird to have Han as a widower.

I'm inclined to say both Han and Leia may go down together, saving their daughter, as this would certainly add tremendous tension for Daisy and strengthen the bond between her and Luke. However, Leia's character is arguably useful to the trilogy as a whole. I can see Leia resisting force training and shielding her daughter from it as she grew up, but if Han was killed or there was some new threat, agreeing to let Luke take her away to train her in hiding while Leia remained on Corusant to run/defend the Republic.

I read previous posters mentioning Carrie's health being a risk factor in signing her on for more than one film (meaning they may kill off Leia just in case Carrie isn't able to do subsequent films), but from what we can tell (admittedly not a hell of a lot from online), she seems to be doing really well, and was a total pro on the TV show she recently filmed, nailing every scene and knew her lines perfectly.

4. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I really want Luke to be the core classic character throughout this trilogy. I have a feeling we won't be seeing him till later on in VII, as opposed to earlier and then dying later in the film. He will appear towards the end and then return to a more open life for VIII.

5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I don't want him to die. But it would certainly provide an interesting twist and narrative for the rest of the series if he did die. It would also set up many books because lets be honest we all want to know what he has been doing since RoTJ.

KOBBRA likes this.
  6. Darth Drangus

Darth Drangus Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2014
    I also question MvS lasting more than one film as he is 85 years old right now. I really doubt he is the Big Bad in this trilogy. Plus it makes sense to have the young actors Driver vs. Boyega/Ridley.

My theory is that (as much as I hate it) Luke is not in Ep7 very much. He has been missing for a few years (why is what I don't know - but I don't think he's been captured). Ridley (Han/Leia's daughter) goes looking for him against her parents' wishes. That's where Tatooine comes into play - it's a reasonable place for her to go in the opening act if she wants to find an old Jedi recluse in hiding who happened to live there for 20 years.

This allows Han to be the main OT personality in the movie as he chases his daughter. Ridley chases Luke, her uncle/mentor. She meets Boyega who is being chased by the Imperials he deserted. Essentially the two young leads are being chased by powerful people and it all comes to a head with the Sith? threat of MvS and Driver. Luke/Han/Leia have to have some time together in the third act before Han (and Leia?) goes out in a blaze of glory. In the end Luke saves the day with Boyega/Ridley, but doesn't die. If he does, I think a lot of fans would roll their eyes considering what happened to Qui-Gon/Ben. I think the filmmakers/Disney/the story group are too smart to simply retread old plot lines.

jedistarfire likes this.
  7. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    If Luke does die in the ST then it may be more likely to happen in Ep 8. Maybe he will come back in Ep 7, then his death could be the major event of the middle act of the new trilogy - then the younger characters have to go it alone in the final episode.

I think Ep 7 is too early for him to die though. Luke is a link to the previous trilogy so you need to see him reestablish himself in the galaxy as it is in that time. Ep 7 may also serve to introduce the old characters to younger viewers for whom this may be their first SW film. So they need to see Luke do some stuff first before dies. Obi-Wan did of course die in the first film, yet the circumstances were different since the sequels were not assured. I think Luke will stay around for a while in the ST and he may even make it to the end.

jedistarfire likes this.
  8. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    dr strangelove :
    Why does Han need to be a mentor to die? I don't really see Han as a "mentor-type" really. I don't think a mentor always needs to die either.

Leia will likely be involved in the government. It will be interesting to see if Luke has given her some training too.

I do hope that Luke survives, at least through episode IX, especially since from what we've been hearing, it doesn't sound like he will have much screentime in VII. :(

PrincessKenobi:
    Sadly though, if Luke really *has* been either a prisoner or a hermit for 30 years, he won't be in any books and he won't have been doing anything since RotJ. :mad:

9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see Luke dying because the "mentor" always dies in the first part of the trilogy, but I'd rather have Luke stick around until Episode IX and possibly die then.

10. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    If the rumor mill is to be believed, JJ Abrams rewrote the script in order to give the three one last big adventure so I think Luke will have a decent sized role.

11. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'm hoping Luke dies in order to hand over the baton and shift the focus to the new heroes.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin's arc was 1-6 so anything less than 4-9 for Luke is not acceptable imo.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But who's gonna train'em, kid, you? :)

14. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Luke's ghost? Someone Luke's trained in the last 30 years?

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    The first one I doubt, because Obi-Wan couldn't do it in the OT, and still needed Yoda. The second option is possible, but would they really bring in a new character to train the new heroes when they've got Luke Skywalker? Luke training them makes a lot more sense thematically, dramatically. etc.

16. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Possibly but it's also super obvious.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't mind that at all. Some things should follow logically. If they brought the big 3 back just to kill them off in the first film, I'll be disappointed. Han I could see dying, but Luke could still have a good story purpose for being there.

Revanfan1 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  18. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I guess I'm imagining how dramatic his death would be and how that could really drive the story is all.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Feels too obvious to kill Luke off in Episode imo.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  20. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    And exactly when is Episode IMO coming out? :D

Dak Oolron likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Dang it. Thanks for the catch. Episode 7

Dak Oolron and plaidphoenix like this.
  22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    If luke dies, that might be the straw for me

23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    When all this is done (whether Ep7 or Ep9), will Mark Hamill go back to comics (or whatever he's doing now) or have a movie career? [face_thinking]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think Luke will die

a little inside if he reads some of the comments in this thread.

25. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Anything could happen. See my sig for my opinion on the ST story arc for The Heroes of Yavin. [face_coffee]
    If it were up to me, Luke would get a Yoda-like death at the end of the series (be it Ep IX or XII), peacefully passing into the Force. However, I don't thing that will actually happen, for some reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.