main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could Luke die in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Drewdude91, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Han will be the mentor that dies in ep7.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I will die in Ep 7.

3. Curjax Rebo

Curjax Rebo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2014
    I think Han (gets) shot first.

4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

I guess we forget that Obi-Wan died in ANH (not that far into the story), Yoda died in ROTJ, Qui Gon Jinn died in TPM - all masters who trained Jedi.

Yoda got through 5.5 films, Obi-Wan 3.5 films, poor old Qui-Gon only lived through half of one film!

Luke's had 3 films so far - I guess if it's to mirror the OT then yes I guess his death during EP7 would be a tad predictable.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan.
    Anakin to Luke or Yoda.

6. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    When Michael Arndt was substituted by Abrams and Kasdan as the writers of the movie, the rumors said that one of the things Abrams didn't like about Arndt's script was that Luke was going to die in the beginning of the movie. This was never proven wrong (as far as I know).. or right, for that matter, but IF this is true and Lucas's treatments called for an early death for Luke in the ST then I can see Abrams's changes included prolonging Luke's role until the final minutes of Ep. VII and then have him die to fall back in line with the original treatments for the rest of the trilogy.

7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Arndt's script having Luke die early doesnt mean Lucas' treatment called for it, necessarily.

T-R- likes this.
  8. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I expect none of the classics to die. If they killed chewie again (even if it was eu) would be too much. I expect them all to die offscreen. I just cant visualize returning to the GFFA and killing someone off for drama's sake. I do however can imagine an awesome character thats introduced that dies unexpectedly and how painful it is for everyone else around them. I just dont believe these are swan song movies for any of the OT cast. Thats just my two cents...so no..i dont expect luke to die especially as far as the OT cast goes.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan? Yoda? Anakin?

Revanfan1 and plaidphoenix like this.
  10. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003

Jabba, Fett, Veers? That didnt mean anything to me.......the point is, i understand the mains got a lot of action in the PT died in the OT, so thus the OT must die in the ST. Its poetry sure...its also contrived...if they go that route im sure i will like it or accept it...it still just seems kind of obvious.

11. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

The classics are worthy to all suffer on-screen deaths. It is the way of the Stars.

That said, this doesn't automatically mean they all have to die in the ST. With Disney's Era upon us, I expect more episodic trilogies after IX, with much less time than 20-30 years in between.

12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think he has to die, otherwise he is a fall-back hero strong enough to take out the big baddie of the new trilogy without needing the new-comer heroes IMO.

LunarMoth likes this.
  13. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Could he die? No because he has silly plot armor. What better way to define star wars to a new generation of fans than have old people from a 30 year old movie(that I love by the way) drive the plot.

14. jedilips

jedilips Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2013
    Han dies. I also believe the rumor that Luke uses the Dark Side to save the day... major downer ending that puts all the pressure on the kids for VIII.

15. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Wow! What a terrible way to end the film and Luke's story! Not exactly a "feel good" ending to get movie-goers thrilled about coming back to see more films! And what a horrible, disrespectful way to ruin Luke's character! I would rather have Luke die saving the day than go bad saving the day.

I hope you're wrong . I hope the film has a positive, upbeat ending and that that they save the darker story for the middle film. Disney has a lot riding on this film. I would think they wouldn't want to turn off a lot of fans by destroying Luke's character and having everyone leave the theater feeling depressed by an awful ending.

16. jedilips

jedilips Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2013
    Let me correct that - the good guys will be victorious in whatever happens - it'll be a happy ending, but it will be tainted by the knowledge that Luke's succumbed to some dark side urges to save the kids.

I dunno... I'm conflicted about the idea of it. Sure Luke's the hero of the OT, but is that all his character is? Is he nothing but "good"? Isn't he more interesting as a character if he has these potential flaws?

eh, maybe I'm wrong.

17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I don't think Luke will die in VII. As for the dark side thing, I don't believe that either. All of these rumors have the crazy early PT rumors sound to them.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  18. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I hope Luke doesn't go dark. As I said, I would rather have Luke die than go bad. As to the previous poster who said that Luke was the hero in the OT, but is that all there is to him, what's wrong with bring a true hero? What's wrong with remaining good despite all of the hardships he's had to endure and the trials that he has had to experience? That's what really makes a hero: sticking to one's ideals and convictions despite the adversities and challenges. We've already seen a Skywalker go bad, why do we need to see a repeat of this same story? Luke is different from his father and he should be portrayed as responding differently to problems, no matter how great they are. Luke already was willing to die twice in the OT to remain in the Light. Why should he make a different decision now that he is more mature and experienced, and, hopefully, wise.

I think it would be horrible if the film makers brought back the iconic hero , Luke Skywalker, only to destroy, degrade, and diminish his character that way. It would have been better in that case, for them to have just killed off the character between trilogies and let him remain a legendary hero. That's the way I feel anyway.

Valairy Scot, T-R- and Dak Oolron like this.
  19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    oh i dont know, could that be because he is still YOUNG!!! God he is not Dooku's age for God's sake!!

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014
    Hope not. Even if there is nothing more that can be done with the character, hard to imagine - he was the central character in OT, Luke can simply go out of scope - they don't have to kill him. And then in some future movie, he can have a nice cameo as an old man. Leonard Nimoy comes to mind.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  21. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    That's why I mentioned XII; I agree that IX would seem too early for Luke to die of "natural causes" (not combat). Then again, when I browse Wikipedia I'm always amazed to read about various greats in history that passed away in their 50's or 60's due to cancer, unknown causes, etc. So it's not crazy enough to yell over... ;)

(Note: I make no claims that the episode numbers will continue after IX, I'm just mentioning X-XII as a possibility. It does seem certain that Disney will make more SW movies after IX, though, considering spinoffs are already in the works.)

22. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

After paying 4+ billion on Star Wars, it'd be crazy for Disney to end the episodic series with IX. If nothing else, don't you think a lot of fans will likely be interested in seeing more movies from the new cast at some point in the future?

Dak Oolron likes this.
  23. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Oh, I totally agree. Just wanted to put a disclaimer out there since I mentioned XII. I think there are very good odds the episode numbers continue after IX, unless the ST is an utter failure (which would be depressing).

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Entirely possible, but they might not want to continue the Episodes without George. It ties them to his story, where as making films set in different eras gives them even more creative freedom. Who knows? [face_dunno]

Dak Oolron likes this.
  25. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Good point. If they make any movies that take place prior to VII chronologically, it would be difficult to assign it an episode number... unless they did something like this. :p

[​IMG]

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.